Women of Genesis: Sarah

From Alvin Maker to Wyrms
lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Darn Red Shells!

Women of Genesis: Sarah

Postby lyons24000 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:41 am

I read a couple of pages of "Sarah" the other day at a bookstore but was hesitant to buy it. Is it worth it or is it full of LDS doctrine or both?
"This must be the end, then."-MorningLightMountain, Judas Unchained

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:13 pm

I really like the whole Women of Genesis series (I own all three). I don't know enough about LDS doctrine to know how much the series might touch on that. It definitely expands greatly on the small bits of information that the bible provides about these females, but that is to be expected if you are going to write an entire novel about them. I enjoy them as fiction novels and that is how I would recommend them, especially to someone religious. That's the same way I feel about The Red Tent (which I also enjoy).
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Slim
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Peacocks can't Lurk

Postby Slim » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:07 am

I read it so long ago, I couldn't remember a lot of it. So I skimmed over it. The only thing strongly LDS is the history, not so much the doctrine. Card includes stories from the Book of Abraham (in the Pearl of Great Price), mainly that he was saved from being sacrificed by a priest of Pharaoh, and briefly that he taught Pharaoh astronomy.

The strongest LDS doctrine I noticed shouldn't be unusual to other Christian faiths -- they talk about the Priesthood.

I've only read Sarah and Rebekah so far. I really liked them. Although (obviously) there are a lot of historical embellishments, they do a good job at putting you in their time and helping you get to know what these people might have been like.
A signature so short, it's
Slim

Petra
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

LDS

Postby Petra » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:32 pm

If it bothers you too much to read his more LDS-heavy writings, try just thinking of it as yet another story rather than a doctrine. Then again, I'm an atheist, so it isn't hard for me to suspend my disbelief.

The Genesis stories are rather good, though.
"I seem to remember that when I was younger, overly sugared brats were sent down into the basement to fend for themselves, like Lord of the Flies."

Return to “Other Orson Scott Card Novels, Stories and Adaptations”