An OSC Movie?

From Alvin Maker to Wyrms
wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

An OSC Movie?

Postby wigginboy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:03 pm

If any of OSC's other books were made into movies, which one or ones would you want to see on the screen? Which ones would work best and which ones would not be butchered by filmmakers like so many are nowadays?

I for one would love to see Trason on the big screen. I think it could work very well if it was done right, and in today's world of special effects, certain scenes that involve extraordinary situations could be rendered easily.

Another I would like to see is Pastwatch. The back and forth nature of the storyline, between the future and Columbus would make for a great visual presentation. There are not too many special effects scenes necessary and it would flow perfectly in a cinematic sense.

While Worthing Saga could be interesting, it is way too long, for one, and as well, it covers too much history to be condensed effectively into screen format.

Those are my favourites. What are yours?

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Re: An OSC Movie?

Postby zeroguy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:10 pm

While Worthing Saga could be interesting, it is way too long, for one, and as well, it covers too much history to be condensed effectively into screen format.
Perhaps that's true for the Worthing Chronicle, but I think many of the short stories that make up the rest of the Saga themselves could be good. Take a story, and flesh it out a bit, and that could be a rather good movie ("Tinker" I think would be an awesome basis, though it doesn't really seem like enough plot by itself for a feature-length film). Or take a few of the related ones... I mean, you could just go the founding of Worthing, and go as far into the future or past as you want.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Re: An OSC Movie?

Postby wigginboy » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:16 am

**minor spoilers for Worthing Saga**
Perhaps that's true for the Worthing Chronicle, but I think many of the short stories that make up the rest of the Saga themselves could be good. Take a story, and flesh it out a bit, and that could be a rather good movie ("Tinker" I think would be an awesome basis, though it doesn't really seem like enough plot by itself for a feature-length film). Or take a few of the related ones... I mean, you could just go the founding of Worthing, and go as far into the future or past as you want.
Thats true. They could do a sort of Star Wars thing with it. I mean, OSC wrote the story so that the end happens first and we see all the past through dreams of memories so you could start with the first part of Worthing's history, then the next one would be the early history of the planet and the last could be the later history with the descendants. Now that you mention it, I think it actually could make a good trilogy of movies.

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:06 pm

There really aren't many OSC books that could be adapted into movies very easily. That being said, most of his newest books could be translated relatively easily (not saying they'd make good movies as they weren't great books but...) and EMPIRE was optioned by Joel Silver last year.

Salaam

Return to “Other Orson Scott Card Novels, Stories and Adaptations”