Advent Rising...

From Alvin Maker to Wyrms
UnnDunn
Soldier
Soldier

Advent Rising...

Postby UnnDunn » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:55 pm

Has anyone played Advent Rising? That's the game Majesco did with OSC.

It was supposed to be a trilogy, but the first game bombed hard at retail, almost taking Majesco with it. I heard it wasn't actually all that bad, though, and I was wondering if it was worth eBaying...

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:20 pm

Don't know.

I bought a copy on e-bay, and haven't even fired it up. My son (avid gamer) hasen't even fired it up.

Now, that may not be because it's a bad game. It may just be that you don't get to shoot enough prostitutes in it (at least from my son's POV; I'm trying to talk him out of that mind-set)
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Tcashon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Tcashon » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:54 am

I played it on Xbox, and loved it.

There are some really challenging parts in the game and I think the story is well written.

There is also some cool moves you can do when chaining different powers together. You should at least give this game a shot!

My avatar is actually from the cover of Advent Rising :)
Yeah I got a response............er..WHAT?

vendor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby vendor » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:33 pm

I had the game, it got stolen so I bought it again. Played it. Beat it a few times. Love it. I've been told that it has many similarities to Halo, but having never played Halo I can't confirm that. It's an action game with some rpg elements. Weapons skills and "force powers" (I don't know what they're called, but they are similar to KOTOR force powers) can be upgraded as you gain experience in the items that you use. I love the story! The game can go by too quickly if you put the difficulty on easy and upgrade your powers early on. Some people don't like the flick targeting (flicking the right joystick on the xbox controller; the camera view). I think it's a little more realistic than automatically locking on target with any enemy near your sights/cross-hairs. If you have two pistols then you can aim and fire at two different objects at once. A rough sketch of the playability (not the setting or the plot) of the game would be KOTOR meets Jade Empire. I would like Advent Rising more if I could switch characters with others in my group and enhance their abilities too. The game does talk about the Ansible and mentions a Philotic Guard. There are other Enderverse references in the game. As well as a few subtle references to OSC's religion (about the same as Ender's Game). Most of the graphics are first gen xbox quality. The game is a little cheesy until you leave Edumea. I would rate the game 7.5 out of 10.
...but paranoia is all I have!!

Return to “Other Orson Scott Card Novels, Stories and Adaptations”