HomeComing

From Alvin Maker to Wyrms
Issibya
Launchie
Launchie

HomeComing

Postby Issibya » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:29 pm

i wanted to post on this series. cause i thought it was pretty awesome.

Nafai was hecca flawed and thats cool in a main char.

also, i felt like i could feel OSC's faith seeping out in the series, especially in the last book, Earthborn.

im new, im young, and i would love to see some replys

SHAMOUN!!!
your mama's so fat, her pants size is uh.. uh.. uh... BITCH LOSE SOME WEIGHT!!!
-Meet the Spartans

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:37 pm

I also loved this series (and identified with the character of Luet as you can see by my sn). I didn't find out until long after I read it that the story was loosely based on the Book of Mormon. I was glad that I read it before I knew.

I've actually read the first three in the series probably 3-4 times but the last two only once. I remember not liking them as much since the familiar characters were missing but I keep meaning to reread them.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Issibya
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Issibya » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:48 pm

yeah i get a lil attached to the chars., so when they are werent in the last book i was sad :cry: . but then i started to like the new chars. so it was not so bad.

osc could easily write more for this series. sinse in the book they say that a bunch of ships fled earth, not just the one that went to Harmony.

i would read it
your mama's so fat, her pants size is uh.. uh.. uh... BITCH LOSE SOME WEIGHT!!!
-Meet the Spartans

CreoleBeanFan
Launchie
Launchie

Postby CreoleBeanFan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:44 pm

I'm about halfway through Earthfall now. I've never been able to figure out why Elemak is such a jerk. You keep thinking he's finally been humbled, and then he comes back and does something stupid. I'm right at the part where he brutalized the "angel" and then got back to camp and had Ayath tear him a new one.

OSC's dialog is the best. I really liked the kids scene where Nafai and Luet were giving them a "choice" to stay awake and they got on the topic of marriage and it all went to hell in a handbasket.

LOL.

CreoleBeanFan
Launchie
Launchie

Postby CreoleBeanFan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:25 pm

Now 3/4ths the way through Earthborn. Surprisingly, it is actually my favorite book in the Homecoming series so far. The other four just seemed like rehashes of each other - the conflict between Nafai and Elemak just regurgitated itself over and over again. No one (other than Zedorab and Shedemeh) seemed to change at all.

ptr.arkanian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ptr.arkanian » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:41 pm

although i like the EG and shadow series alot more than Homecoming, i still think Homecoming is amazing because OSC is one of the most amazing writers of all time. i love how Nafai is almost as flawed as Elemak which brings about a certain realism to the book. i think that the way the keeper of earth talks to Luet, Nafia, Wetchik, and their familes through dreams is alot like how the hive queen was able to contact Ender through the fantasy game at battle school. OSC is a sci-fi genius.
Share this dragon
If you do
Lucky end for
them and you
-Petra Arkanian

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:40 am

I've actually read the first three in the series probably 3-4 times but the last two only once. I remember not liking them as much since the familiar characters were missing but I keep meaning to reread them.
It's actually only the last book that has all the familiar characters missing (the exception being Shedemei, of course). So you might want to pick up Earthfall again even if you don't want to reread Earthborn.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

mywildimagination
Launchie
Launchie

Re: HomeComing

Postby mywildimagination » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:13 pm

Being a Mormon myself, I haven't enjoyed Homecoming and Maker as much as Card's other stories, mostly because in the back of my mind I'm always thinking of how it relates to the Book of Mormon or Joseph Smith. It keeps coming to me as . . . Sunday School on crack, I guess. I prefer his Women of Genesis series, Saints, and Stone Tables because he's not trying to combine religion and sci-fi. That being said, though, he does an amazing job with these Book of Mormon characters. If you ever read the Book of Mormon, you'll see how Card took such flat characters and made real people out of them. I was always interested in the influence Issib (Sam) has on Nafai because Sam never really does anything in the Book of Mormon. He's really just a background character, always supporting his younger brother. Making him crippled added a lot of depth to his character. I've only read the first and part of the second book, but I'm very interested in how Card does Elemak and Mebbekew. The fact is, those characters introduce a major theme in the Book of Mormon, that of (relative) prosperity leading them to pride and wickedness, then being humbled by the punishments of God, righteousness leading to blessings, which lead to prosperity, and then to pride and wickedness. It's a cycle. The point being? Human beings don't have a natural inclination to listen to God. In the Homecoming series, the people have been genetically engineered to listen to God - the Oversoul - whatever. But human nature being what it is, the characters use their pride, jealousy, and desires for revenge to ignore the Oversoul and disobey it. Even Nafai, who has the strongest reception to the Oversoul, has to overcome these feelings and this cycle. So it shouldn't be surprising that Elemak and Mebbekew, who have far less inclination to do so, are less successful than Nafai. They have their moments - when the Oversoul has successfully cowed them into being righteous - but in the end they always let human nature control them. To us they simply look stupid, interfering with Nafai's work when they know the Oversoul has chosen him and that the Oversoul has a very real power, but they're not stupid. They just don't have control over their nature.

Return to “Other Orson Scott Card Novels, Stories and Adaptations”