ENDER'S GAME Blu Ray/DVD coming Feb. 11th!

A place to discuss official news from the production of the Ender's Game film, due in theaters November 2013
Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

ENDER'S GAME Blu Ray/DVD coming Feb. 11th!

Postby Craig » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:28 am

The film CraveOnline​ called "one of the best films of the year" is coming to DVD, Blu-ray, VOD, and PPV on February 11, 2014, with an early Digital HD window beginning January 28. Now, we've got a CraveOnline Exclusive announcement and preview of the Ender's Game Blu-ray and DVD box art and special features, featuring director Gavin Hood, co-stars Harrison Ford ("Colonel Hyrum Graff") and Viola Davis ("Major Gwen Anderson"), and producers Gigi Pritzker, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman.

The Ender's Game Blu-ray and DVD will include a feature commentary track by producers Gigi Pritzker and Roberto Orci, and deleted/extended scenes with optional commentary by Gavin Hood. The Blu-ray will also exclusively offer an 8-part featurette entitled "Ender's World: The Making of Ender's Game."
A little light on special features and I'm disappointed that we don't have an optional extended cut where the deleted/extended scenes aren't put back into the movie, but it's better than nothing. And that 45 minute making of documentary sounds interesting!

Feb. 11th can't come fast enough. :)

-Craig

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Re: ENDER'S GAME Blu Ray/DVD coming Feb. 11th!

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:52 pm

Deleted scenes will be nice. Shouldn't be too hard to cut them back in either, if they seem like good additions.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

JMRamos94
Launchie
Launchie

Postby JMRamos94 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:41 pm

Cannot wait.

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:27 pm

yah, I was really hoping for an official extended edition of the movie :/ But I'll take what I can get!
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

Craig
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Craig » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:45 pm

Deleted scenes will be nice. Shouldn't be too hard to cut them back in either, if they seem like good additions.
I can't tell if you're saying that Summit might cut them back in later or that the fans might... If Summit doesn't, you better believe I'll put together an ENDER'S GAME: The Ultimate Fan Cut DVD!

-Craig

Demosthene
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Demosthene » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:15 am

You talk of cut scenes in the film version could see unDVD Favourite channels with everything? I'd like to see, is what it is but VF?
Ne l'oubliez pas, la porte ennemie est en bas !
Do not forget the enemy's gate is down !

I put it there waiting to find a more original

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:27 pm

I can't tell if you're saying that Summit might cut them back in later or that the fans might... If Summit doesn't, you better believe I'll put together an ENDER'S GAME: The Ultimate Fan Cut DVD!

-Craig
I also intend to if Summit doesn't, which was my point :)
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:29 pm

Watched the Blu Ray this past weekend. I still think the movie was great, but I wasn't overly impressed by the deleted/extended scenes. The other special featurettes weren't anything to write home about either, but I never really care that much about special features anyway.

One thing of note is that when I saw it in theatres I left during the credits and and didn't realize that the song by The Flaming Lips has a nice kind of haunting melody to it that I think fits the film nicely.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Craig
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Craig » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:59 am

Watched the Blu Ray this past weekend. I still think the movie was great, but I wasn't overly impressed by the deleted/extended scenes. The other special featurettes weren't anything to write home about either, but I never really care that much about special features anyway.
The most interesting part of the deleted scenes were the scenes that never made it that far. According to Hood during his director's commentary, once Digital Domain filed for bankruptcy they had to cut 20% of their special effects. He lost his opening scene, which wasn't supposed to begin with the Mazer battle, it was supposed to begin in "space" with an extended battle between Ender and Stilson (we see a little bit of what he originally had planned on their desks). There was a battle between Rat and Dragon Army before Ender faced Bonzo, and the Ice Battle in the Simulator was supposed to be about twice as long. Personally, I think it would have added another level of legitimacy to Ender being "the one" and would have slowed the pace down a little bit.

In terms of the deleted scenes on the disc, I wish they would have kept most of them--but then again, I'm biased. :D

-Craig

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:53 am

Ahhhhhh, that's so painful. It burns. I especially hope all of the pre-CGI footage for the battleroom scene is still there waiting to be rendered on.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:08 pm

The most interesting part of the deleted scenes were the scenes that never made it that far. According to Hood during his director's commentary, once Digital Domain filed for bankruptcy they had to cut 20% of their special effects. He lost his opening scene, which wasn't supposed to begin with the Mazer battle, it was supposed to begin in "space" with an extended battle between Ender and Stilson (we see a little bit of what he originally had planned on their desks). There was a battle between Rat and Dragon Army before Ender faced Bonzo, and the Ice Battle in the Simulator was supposed to be about twice as long. Personally, I think it would have added another level of legitimacy to Ender being "the one" and would have slowed the pace down a little bit.

In terms of the deleted scenes on the disc, I wish they would have kept most of them--but then again, I'm biased. :D

-Craig
One of my few gripes with the movie is that it didn't show enough of Ender's tactical genius. It sounds like those scenes would have definitely helped with that. I really think that if the film was 30 minutes longer it could have been just about perfect.

...And if they hadn't made Bonzo comically smaller than Ender. :roll:
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Craig
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Craig » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:17 pm

One of my few gripes with the movie is that it didn't show enough of Ender's tactical genius. It sounds like those scenes would have definitely helped with that. I really think that if the film was 30 minutes longer it could have been just about perfect.

...And if they hadn't made Bonzo comically smaller than Ender. :roll:
I couldn't agree more. We knew that bankruptcy was going to effect them somehow, but didn't know to what extent. It was almost worse... They nearly lost the shuttle scene, and the ice battle altogether. As for Bonzo... I really liked the performance, but he really was too short. If you're going to cast a taller Ender, even if he still is that spindly boy, you have to compensate for the rest.

-Craig

Return to “Ender's Game Movie News and Discussion”