Bean Launch Group

A place to discuss official news from the production of the Ender's Game film, due in theaters November 2013
BobbyOodle
Launchie
Launchie
First Joined: 08 Jul 2013

Bean Launch Group

Postby BobbyOodle » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:12 am

I read on Ender's Ansible that Bean and Ender are supposedly in the same launch group.

I'm pretty upset by that, I hope that they don't make them great friends from the start. I don't wanna miss out on friendships like Alai and Ender. Or Nikolai and Bean. It will probably be good, but I liked the idea of developing them separately.

Also, a concern is that they won't spend very much time or enough time on Bean's past in Rotterdam.

Thoughts?
Salaam, my friend.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Re: Bean Launch Group

Postby Boothby » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:45 am

My prediction is that they won't spend any time at all on Bean's past in Rotterdam. No images. A sentence or two referencing it, at most. It will have to be something that you bring with you to the film; hopefully they won't "disallow" it with the screenplay.
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

BobbyOodle
Launchie
Launchie

Postby BobbyOodle » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:28 am

Man, that's so upsetting. If it's supposed to be a split between Ender's Game/Shadow, they should show Bean's past!
And I know that they're probably not including Achilles and Sister Carlotta, anyways. (Besides, they'd probably mispronounce Achilles name anyways ;D)

It just seems like they should do more with Bean's and Ender's pasts simultaneously. Depending on whether or not they want this to be a stand alone or a part of a bigger series, that is.

The two things they should have made sure to add when they wrote the script (for future movies) are the Giant's Drink, and Achilles. Without Giant's Drink fantasy game, there is no Jane, no deep connection to the Formics or Buggers.
And without Achilles, the most prominent beginning antagonist is gone, and that gets rid of some of the cool conflicts that go down and some of my favorite scenes.

Also, it is my current knowledge that Locke and Demosthenes have been cut. In the idea of sequels, there's no way they can follow the books without that. No Locke, no Hegemon. And I suppose you don't need for Valentine to be Demosthenes for the Ender's Quartet storyline, it would help, but it is not needed. I also might be forgetting something. If Demosthenes is in fact needed for the Ender's Quartet story, let me know, and I will be embarrassed that I had forgotten.

But sure, they could add in scenes to depict Achilles with maybe a different past that isn't directly related to Bean, or have a scene at the start of the next movie that explains Valentine and Peter's internet crusades.

I fear for a sequel that doesn't have much to do with current books.

Also, how would you guys feel about "Ender in Exile" or maybe "A War of Gifts" being the next movie sequel? I haven't read either of them so no spoilers please, but I know that Ender in Exile is about the first colony with Ender, right where Ender's Game left off. Also that AWoG is about Ender's first year at Battle School I believe. I would favor (in theory, because I haven't read it) Ender in Exile.

But more than anything, I want Speaker For the Dead to be a movie. Or a TV series. Just SOMETHING.
Salaam, my friend.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:40 pm

Bean's past has nothing to do with the story they have to tell. A film will never be as long as the book it comes from. Taking the assumption that the film starts with Ender's Game, then strengthens Bean's character to act as a foil for Ender, you're starting with a fairly long story to begin with.

As it stands, they've taken out the whole Locke/Demosthenes arc (though they've kept kept Peter and Valentine, and I believe that they will have the "house by the lake" sequence). I also think that they have kept the "Mind Game" element.

The Achilles arc would add a LOT of screen time, and though I don't know one way or another, I also think that they have skipped over that part.

I've been listening to (and enjoying) "Earth Unaware" (though I think the way they get to the 'fuge is problematic, but that's just me). If I had to guess, I think the PREQUELS are going to be the next series of EG movies that Lionsgate/Summit produces, if this one is successful. I don't think the Shadow series will appeal to a general audience the way that EG and the Earth Afire prequels do.

"A War of Gifts" will never be made into a film (other than, perhaps, a fan film). It's not marketable as a feature film.
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

BobbyOodle
Launchie
Launchie

Postby BobbyOodle » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:43 am

If they do the mind game, I hope that it is with heavy CGI, just because that's how I imagined it in my head. Looking new Alice in Wonderland-esque graphics. And I hope it's super brutal.

Is there any word on when the 3rd prequel book comes out?

Because now all I'm waiting for is that and Shadows Alive.

But you're right, there's already so much screen time factored, it's just my fan boy hopes that they'll make my favorite stories into movies so I have new ways to enjoy them. But hey, Card thought that Ender's Game was unfilmable, and yet he is allowing this to be filmed, maybe in a few years Speaker for the Dead will be filmable and it'll happen. I need to see some pequenino. Though, the image probably won't coincide with the one in my head of the dear Piggies.

I do think, if done correctly, Ender's Quartet would be the best thing to film.

But then again, I haven't read any of the yet to be completed Formic War trilogy.

If it's supposed to be (it being the movie) a split between EG and ES, why would they leave out Bean's past? All that's left to add after that, is Bean's vent charades, and his arguments and such with Dimak and Graff, and of course his *SPOILER* *SPOILER* homecoming to the Delphikis. I wonder what it will really become.
Salaam, my friend.

allenwatson23
Launchie
Launchie

Postby allenwatson23 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:07 am

I'll actually be more happy if they don't try to "throw" in stuff about Bean. While, of course, I loved Ender, I think I was more attached to Bean. Maybe because we got to follow more of his story after the fact. The movie will obviously focus on Ender (why else would they cast the more known actor for him?), and they need to appeal to everyone who has not read the books. I mean, let's face it, WE will all be seeing the movie anyway. They have NO need to appeal to us. Having too much of Bean's story, while we would love it, would would have non-fans scratching their heads.
Huge Ender's Game fan and a lover of reading. First book due out soon!
http://authorallenwatson.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BobbyOodle
Launchie
Launchie

Postby BobbyOodle » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:16 pm

And the honest thing is, a lot of us would be happy to watch a 3 hour movie just to see as much as we can.
I just am excited and scared to see if/where they go on a large movie franchise with the Enderverse.
Salaam, my friend.

Rootersfriend
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 05 May 2013

Postby Rootersfriend » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:08 pm

I'm with Boothby, I don't think they'll make the ender series into a film series but I could see the prequals making it.

Now to your comment on Card not thinking EG was filmable and all, let's not forget it took years and years for that to happen...So I mean there's a chance this film is AMAZING and it gets rave reviews and blows up and the next ones get knocked out post haste, but there's also the chance that for all the reasons you mentioned potentially being bummed about, it doesn't do as well as we all want it to, in which case we all go home sad, and no more films get made anytime soon.

I for one think that they will be making some pretty key changes (Demosthenes and Locke not being in it, no Achilles, etc...) and that sucks, but I think the fact that OSC has been so involved, and frankly, picky abotu the way this is done, that this will be a fantastic film and I hope it means there are more to come. I hope we get some good shots of buggers, even if it's just through ender and bean studying vids.
::Live as a villain, die as a hero::

murasaki
Launchie
Launchie

Postby murasaki » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:44 pm

I was looking at the movie poster where they have the pictures of all the main characters in the movie... no Bean... why??? They seem to be giving Petra a lot of extra stuff in the script, but why is Bean not one of the mains??? :(

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:49 pm

The actress who plays Petra, Hailee Steinfeld, is an academy award nominee and has at least 6 OTHER films that will be released within the next year or two. It works out in her favor, really. Personally, I would have like it if all the cast members have an equal share of attention, considering is more to the jeesh than just Petra. But oh well, she's rising star and you have to face it, she is a damn good actress.
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

Return to “Ender's Game Movie News and Discussion”