Release Date Changed: November 2013

A place to discuss official news from the production of the Ender's Game film, due in theaters November 2013
Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Release Date Changed: November 2013

Postby Taalcon » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:50 pm

From Roberto Orci:
dont mean to make you wait a bit longer, but we just got a ridiculously good release date for #EndersGame. Nov 1st, 2013 - thanks 4 input!

From ComingSoon.net :

Now in production, the Gavin Hood-directed adaptation of Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game is slated to hit theaters a little bit later than originally planned. Summit Entertainment announced today that the sci-fi adventure will hit theaters on November 1, 2013 instead of the originally announced date of March 15, 2013.

The ensemble cast includes, among many others, Asa Butterfield, Ben Kingsley, Harrison Ford, Hailee Steinfeld, Abigail Breslin and Viola Davis and tells the story of a young boy raised in a Utopian future who is drafted by the International Fleet to destroy the alien Formic race.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Re: Release Date Changed: November 2013

Postby Luet » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:53 pm

So, is this good news as far as dates go? Other than having to wait longer?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:23 pm

This new date makes more sense.
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:48 pm

Weird. I will be done with college and/or in grad school. I can't decide if that makes the movie seem a lot further away than it did with the March release date or if it makes the real(ish) world seem that much closer...

Though I do wonder if they'll end up pushing back to Thanksgiving weekend to make more money, or if they're not banking on it being that huge of a hit.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Postby Taalcon » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:07 pm

From Variety:
Summit's decided to push back the launch of OddLot Entertainment's sci-fi tentpole "Ender's Game" by eight months, setting a launch date of Nov. 1, 2013.
The minimajor, which had planned to open "Ender's" on March 15, 2013, did not give any reason for the move. But an informed source indicated that the latter date may have greater potential for the start of a potential franchise film along with taking advantage of promo opportunities at next year's Comic-Con in July.

Summit, which was acquired by Lionsgate in January, is co-financing. OddLot, K/O Paper Products and Digital Domain are production partners on "Ender's Game."

Lionsgate has already set "Catching Fire," its sequel to "The Hunger Games," for Nov. 22, 2013.

Set in Earth's utopian future, "Ender's Game" stars Asa Butterfield ("Hugo") as a genius strategist recruited by the government to help destroy an insect-like alien race. Harrison Ford, Abigail Breslin and Hailee Steinfeld also star in the pic with Gavin Hood ("X-Men Origins: Wolverine") directing from his own script, adapted from Orson Scott Card's novel.

Sony's sci-fier "Singularity" is also on the Nov. 1, 2013 date. Currently, there are no wide releases set for next March 15.
Didja catch that? "may have greater potential for the start of a potential franchise film"? And Comic-Con? :)

Kill Devil Hill
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Kill Devil Hill » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:11 pm

Won't Catching Fire end up overshadowing the movie?
We can shed our skins and swim into the darkened void beyond
We will dance among the world that orbit stars that aren't our sun
All the oxygen that trapped us in a carbon spider's web
Solar winds are whispering, you may hear the sirens of the dead.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:22 pm

From Variety:
Summit's decided to push back the launch of OddLot Entertainment's sci-fi tentpole "Ender's Game" by eight months, setting a launch date of Nov. 1, 2013.
The minimajor, which had planned to open "Ender's" on March 15, 2013, did not give any reason for the move. But an informed source indicated that the latter date may have greater potential for the start of a potential franchise film along with taking advantage of promo opportunities at next year's Comic-Con in July.

Summit, which was acquired by Lionsgate in January, is co-financing. OddLot, K/O Paper Products and Digital Domain are production partners on "Ender's Game."

Lionsgate has already set "Catching Fire," its sequel to "The Hunger Games," for Nov. 22, 2013.

Set in Earth's utopian future, "Ender's Game" stars Asa Butterfield ("Hugo") as a genius strategist recruited by the government to help destroy an insect-like alien race. Harrison Ford, Abigail Breslin and Hailee Steinfeld also star in the pic with Gavin Hood ("X-Men Origins: Wolverine") directing from his own script, adapted from Orson Scott Card's novel.

Sony's sci-fier "Singularity" is also on the Nov. 1, 2013 date. Currently, there are no wide releases set for next March 15.
Didja catch that? "may have greater potential for the start of a potential franchise film"? And Comic-Con? :)
This is a little bit disappointing, but I guess if it improves the chances for it to be "successful", I guess I don't mind.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Peter Wiggin
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Peter Wiggin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:59 pm

The Nov release date is really poorly timed, Catching Fire is the same target audience and will turn this to ashes. Maybe they push it back another time, it wouldn't surprise me, given the history of an EG movie.

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:27 pm

I think they are more likely to push back the date to December or January.
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

Murtauk
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Murtauk » Wed May 02, 2012 2:21 pm

This shouldn't come as too much of a surprise as they believe that they can boost ticket sales for one thing based on the popularity of another. While I would love to see the movie do well enough to spawn sequels, remember that the enderverse sequels have nothing to do with battle school or war they are more about internal conflicts and dealing with family issues and not until xeno do we get back into the race against the clock mentality again. If an audience expects more of the same a sequel would most likely be the shadow series. Think about it a direct sequel would involve absolutely nobody from the original cast and for those people being introduced to this story only by having watched the film, they would have no emotional connection to anyone in the sequels.

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Fri May 04, 2012 3:09 pm

I can't imagine Summit pushing the movie back any farther. A November release means they can green light a sequel for the summer of 2014, if it performs. A January release would kill any chance of success this movie has. January movies are movies that the studio doesn't know what to do with and is generally the dumping ground for bad movies. If Summit likes what they're seeing, and every indication is that they are, they'll stick with the November release. Plus, it actually makes sense to come out two weeks before CATCHING FIRE, because two weeks is a long, long time in theater time, and more importantly, Summit will OWN November between these two movies.

Salaam

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:27 pm

The UK and Germany release dates are weeks before the US!!!
All in favor of taking a trip to the Uk?

http://www.endersansible.com/2012/08/02 ... ame-movie/
"Even though faith is above reason, there can never be any real disagreement between faith and reason, since it is the same God who reveals the mysteries and infuses faith, and who has endowed the human mind with the light of reason." -The Catholic Church, Session III, Chapter IV, Canon 5 of the First Vatican Council
http://endersansible.com

Josh
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Josh » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:43 am

Yay, always nice for a Brit to get get the occasional earlier release over US :P It's pretty crazy they can't normalise release dates across countries for everything these days.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:46 am

With Digital Domain declaring bankruptcy today, and the final sale (auction) not until September 21, I wouldn't start buying tickets to the "early" European opening just yet.
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Return to “Ender's Game Movie News and Discussion”