Because we're all desperate for news...

A place to discuss official news from the production of the Ender's Game film, due in theaters November 2013
Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Because we're all desperate for news...

Postby Craig » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:00 am

I took this out of OSC's newest essay on Hatrack (OSC Reviews Everything)...

"It's hurting me, too. For instance, I have a whole new angle of attack on the script to my movie project Ender's Game. It's terrific -- it's going to make this movie absolutely work. But I can't show it to anybody. Even though I'm the author of the original book, as a union member I can't write a new adaptation and offer it for sale."

At this point any news is good news I guess...

Salaam

mazer
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Rackham

Postby mazer » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:20 am

thats great I guess any sign that he is working on it is good :D :D

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:49 pm

He's still working on it. But is anyone else?

Not to be a pessimist. :D
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

SaintDrogo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby SaintDrogo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:37 am

I am.

But I think you were asking a slightly different question.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep
But I have promises to keep
And miles to go before I sleep
Miles to go before I sleep

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:40 am

Ehhh.... stop bitching about the writer's strike. I think it's a good thing in the end.

Lusitania_Fleet
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Lusitania_Fleet » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:21 am

Its hurting me that hes even making a movie. Its bound to be horrible. A mockery of the book. And there's only so many child actors, so there will be at least one Freddie highmore in it. Not happening. In fact, this movie is possibly the worst idea OSC has ever had.

Besides, Is it good for anyone besides the author for this to go mainstream? I mean, I rather enjoy everyones 'wtf' faces when I say jeesh or oomay.

Am I right?
Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:46 am

Oh, yes, the value of a book greatly diminishes with popularity, because we all know that the real value comes from the ability of the readers to be pretentious and obscure.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:31 pm

Syphon is angry and bitter, but pretty much right on the money. It's a pretty common complaint that we hear around here, but it's not really the movie's, author's, or book's fault if you suddenly can't be as "edgy" as you used to be. In fact, if you're that kind of person, you could take pride in knowing that you knew about EG "before it was cool." How does that sound?

Not like this movie will ever, ever be made.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:55 am

In fact, if you're that kind of person, you could take pride in knowing that you knew about EG "before it was cool." How does that sound?
Actually... I'm pretty sure I would be doing that if the comic had been more popular. Or if I had found it before the Shadow series had started.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:07 am

As much as I want at least one movie to be made, I like it being exclusive. It's like for the people who used to love the Twilight series. They were good books but once the movie came out it got so out of control that now almost everybody hates them.
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:30 pm

As much as I want at least one movie to be made, I like it being exclusive. It's like for the people who used to love the Twilight series. They were good books but once the movie came out it got so out of control that now almost everybody hates them.
So the movies somehow went back in time and altered the books to make them suck? I think it's more likely that the films just made more people aware of their suckiness. Since Ender's Game doesn't suck, a film will increase awareness of its greatness.

For example, Dune had a terrible movie adaptation back in '84, but the book itself is still regarded as one of the greatest pieces of science fiction literature ever. Despite what fanboys say, a bad adaptation cannot ruin good source material. It can, however, draw more attention to the flaws of not so good source material.

Disclaimer: I have not actually read any of the Twilight books so when I speak of their sucking I'm just going by what I've heard from everyone who isn't a teenage girl.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:43 pm

Well, I thought they were great despite the craziness that goes on now. Lot's of people who hate them haven't even read them. And I don't blame anyone, because there are rarely any people who aren't crazy but have actually read the book.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:01 pm

And you're a teenage girl, right?

I'm not judging or anything. You like what you like, and as I said, I haven't read them myself so I limit my criticism to saying that they simply don't appeal to me.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:07 pm

Ha, yes I am. But trust me I resented them just as much as you did until I finally just read them to see what all the talk was about.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:45 am

For example, Dune had a terrible movie adaptation back in '84
But also had a bit better adaptation in a mini-series in 2000, don't forget.

(seriously, what the hell was with those sound weapons or whatever they were?)

dgf hhw

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:23 am

I'd say that the 2000 version was more than just a bit better. It's actually what intorduced me to Dune in the first place. But my point is that neither adaptation harmed the reputation of the book because the book itself is quite good.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:55 am

Actually, I'm not so sure. I think the good reputation of the book remains simply because the book is more famous. I don't think I've ever talked to anyone that said they had seen the Lynch movie without knowing of the book (the only people I know of who really remember that movie are Lynch fans or Dune fans). And it actually kinda surprises me that the miniseries found its way to you first. Neither of those adaptations were nearly as successful as the book, obviously, and they aren't notoriously bad enough to be more known on that alone.

Edit: The above and below are just anecdotal... but my counterpoint would be Starship Troopers. I've been told that that book is excellent and provides a lot of commentary on philosophy, politics, and the like. But my general impression of people's reactions on mentioning it is that they think it's like that awful '97 movie.

dgf hhw

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:18 am

Being a fan of sci-fi for most of my life I was already aware of the book but hadn't gotten around to reading it until I watched and enjoyed the mini-series.

You do have a point about the fame of the book compared to that of the movie being a major factor. I've heard that Battlefield Earth is actually a good book too...
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:56 am

I've never heard of that one. But since I'm done with the Ender series( :cry: ) I should check it out

Purity Control
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Purity Control » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:40 pm

I would like to point out that Battlefield Earth was written by the L Ron Hubbard, and he is also known as the guy who created Scientology.
For now all my concentration is focused on inertial control and navigation. Targeting isn't even a consideration - I will be engaging my enemy at arm's length.

Return to “Ender's Game Movie News and Discussion”