The Loss of "Mystery" in Bean/Ender (Movie)

What do you think is happening with film production? How do you think things will look? What are options for sequels? Show us your own Movie Posters and Trailers here!

Read the last sentence of the post.

Yes
33%
No
No votes
I don't care, I just want a movie.
67%

Total votes: 6

Stormcrown
Launchie
Launchie

The Loss of "Mystery" in Bean/Ender (Movie)

Postby Stormcrown » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:48 pm

At the end of the "Ender's Shadow" audiobook, I believe the excerpt from Orson Scott Card talks about the movie mixing the two stories.

The says the largest issue was explaining Ender's motives. Books easily tell you what someone is thinking, but having Ender explain it would be horrible because he doesn't talk much...and a voice over would just be silly he ended up making it into a buddy movie. This obviously means Ender and Bean will communicate WAY more than in the books (Between Shadow and Game). Part of Bean's incredible story is that he rarely talks with Ender, and values his respect more than anyone...and he receives it through very small gestures that Ender doesn't think much about but Bean certainly does.

I usually try to separate movies and books, and understand that too often people expect them to be the same story and this is impossible, due to the same fact of "explaining" something in a book that you cannot in a movie.

Do you guys think the loss of mystery will be okay? (Will you be happy with it?) Although I think I will be happy with anything this movie turns into, this part of the series is something I was very attracted too and something I personally identify and care about.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Re: The Loss of "Mystery" in Bean/Ender (Movie)

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:06 pm

I don't know how old your audiobook is, but I'm pretty sure the script has changed a bajillion times since then.
The enemy's fly is down.

Stormcrown
Launchie
Launchie

Re: The Loss of "Mystery" in Bean/Ender (Movie)

Postby Stormcrown » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:49 pm

I don't know how old your audiobook is, but I'm pretty sure the script has changed a bajillion times since then.
I'm not sure either.

But the Bean/Ender buddy system seems to fit the current cast. The removal of Shen means that Ender doesn't need him to "Talk" too.

Although if Orson Scott Card has enough control over the script I think we should be happy with whatever we get.

:)

Return to “Ender's Game Movie Rumors, Speculation and Fan Art”