Soundtrack and Score

What do you think is happening with film production? How do you think things will look? What are options for sequels? Show us your own Movie Posters and Trailers here!
hkobb7
Launchie
Launchie

Soundtrack and Score

Postby hkobb7 » Sun May 23, 2010 5:39 pm

How would you all decide to execute the soundtrack to Ender's Game/Shadow? Would it depend on what events the movie covers? I'm talking about style (ie, classical soundtrack (Braveheart, anything ever written by John Williams), contemporary soundtrack (Hans Zimmer's works), or a hodgepodge of other music (see: Forrest Gump)). Any of the above, or some sort of blend, or something I didn't include are all acceptable answers, just justify your response and elaborate on your idea. Include possible composers and/or songs or pieces that you would include.

Lemonade Ice Queen
Launchie
Launchie

Re: Soundtrack

Postby Lemonade Ice Queen » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:25 pm

Something subtle and arty, I think.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Postby Taalcon » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:56 am

Harry Gregson-williams did the score for Hood's X-Men origins: Wolverine. Directors who have a good working relationship with their composers will often return to them for future projects (see: Spielberg & John Williams, Cameron & James Horner, M. Night Shyamalan & James Newton Howard, Frank Darabont and Thomas Newman, etc.)

So I wouldn't be very surprised to see Harry Gregson-Williams (who comes, literally, from the Hans Zimmer Media Ventures sound/crew) show up on the crew list for score.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:41 pm

Oh man, I love Gregson-Williams. Also composed several of the Metal Gear Solid soundtracks, for those of you who don't know.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:48 pm

Hanz Zimmer?

Didn't he work on the (wonderful) soundtrack for Toys????
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Jinxletandcake
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Jinxletandcake » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Mike Morasky! He does wonderful electronic music.

maurice jones
Launchie
Launchie

Postby maurice jones » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:23 am

Hey everyone. I am submitting a song to the producer's of the film. I want to know what you all think.
the Song is called "Dear Valentine" and it i pretty much tried to capture the emotion and mood of the main character
Ender. take a listen please, click on the link below. hype it up on this board!

http://soundcloud.com/maurice-anthony-j ... nders-game

thanks,
maurice

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:58 pm

Hey everyone. I am submitting a song to the producer's of the film. I want to know what you all think.
the Song is called "Dear Valentine" and it i pretty much tried to capture the emotion and mood of the main character
Ender. take a listen please, click on the link below. hype it up on this board!

http://soundcloud.com/maurice-anthony-j ... nders-game
I like the lyrics, I like instrumentals, and I like the sound of the vocalist (you?) - but I'm not sure I like the way they fit together. I guess the cadence of the vocals is what throws me off a little bit. There's no one line or phrase I could pick out as "wrong", because taken individually, I like them all, but there is something about how it flows together that seems unstructured.

The more I think it about it, the more I'm thinking it's because the lyrics feel almost like prose, and are missing out on some of the natural rhythms that come with most poetic writing.

Anyone else have the same reaction? Anyone think I'm totally off-base?
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Jeremy Orbe-Smith
Launchie
Launchie

Soundtrack & Scoring Suggestions

Postby Jeremy Orbe-Smith » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:22 pm

[Edit: Whoops, didn't realize there was already a thread here. Thanks for the merge!]

(Because we all know that the producers are lurking here and have been waiting with bated breath to acquiesce to my demands. :wink: )

While the heroic scoring of movies such as, say, Star Wars, is great for that kind of story, I'm hoping that the music for Ender's Game will be darker, more emotional. I remember reading the book in eighth grade and feeling the utter hopelessness and despair as the battles became more and more desperate, more unfair -- not to mention the soul-crushing ending. Ender's Game is a tragedy, and the music is crucial for setting that darkness of tone, at least from my idiosyncratic perspective. (I'm thinking something orchestral, with electronic elements.)

With that reading of the book in mind, here are some examples of movies which feature what I think are effective combinations of music and film. Imagine the final battle with quick cuts and splices jumping between the kids in their simulators and what's actually happening with the starships around the Formic world, all set to a score with similar gravitas as the climax sections to songs like:

The Fountain (Clint Mansell/Underworld):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C69RtZzKsFE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sunshine (John Murphy):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQXVzg2P ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Inception (Hans Zimmer):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2SXKI3m ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Requiem For A Dream (Clint Mansell):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw_rtf4GlLc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prometheus (Marc Streitenfeld):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQJl31Yc ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Re: Soundtrack and Score

Postby Taalcon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:36 am

While the logic of my previous statement stands, I'm here listening to some James Newton Howard again. He's fantastic.

right now, I'm listneing to Snow White and the Huntsman. He also recently scored Hunger Games. I have not seen either film, but love both scores.

Really, I haven't heard a JNH score I haven't adored. He masters subtle sensitivity, as well as grandiose action, joy, terror, despair, hope, etc. He's my favorite current working composer.

John Williams only comes out to play when Spielberg does now, and Horner hasn't done something I find powerful and original for over a decade.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:37 pm

This is just dreaming, but I'd love to see what Muse could do if tasked with scoring a really top-notch sci-fi epic. There's no question in my mind that they could do a masterful job with Ender's Game, if given the opportunity. I particularly think they'd be able to nail the melancholy, the intensity, and the grandiosity necessary at various points during the film.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:32 pm

This is just dreaming, but I'd love to see what Muse could do if tasked with scoring a really top-notch sci-fi epic. There's no question in my mind that they could do a masterful job with Ender's Game, if given the opportunity. I particularly think they'd be able to nail the melancholy, the intensity, and the grandiosity necessary at various points during the film.
Hey I've seen them perform before... they came to my school one summer...

Although I can't really imagine what they'd do for the soundtrack/score
"Even though faith is above reason, there can never be any real disagreement between faith and reason, since it is the same God who reveals the mysteries and infuses faith, and who has endowed the human mind with the light of reason." -The Catholic Church, Session III, Chapter IV, Canon 5 of the First Vatican Council
http://endersansible.com

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:00 pm

In my wild imagination, something analogous to the difference between a Daft Punk album, and the score Daft Punk composed for Tron: Legacy. Except more melancholy sci-fi and less bad-ass cyberpunk (because it's Muse/Ender's Game, and not Daft Punk/Tron).

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:01 pm

More spam. Don't click the link
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Demosthene
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Demosthene » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:08 pm

Yo! You talking about? I do not understand what is the purpose of the conversation. But hey, I expect.
Ne l'oubliez pas, la porte ennemie est en bas !
Do not forget the enemy's gate is down !

I put it there waiting to find a more original

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:06 am

Demos,

It looks like the post I was responding to was baleeted when the user was kicked off the site.

Beyond that, I can't help you.....
--Boothby

Return to “Ender's Game Movie Rumors, Speculation and Fan Art”