Movies for the rest of the series

What do you think is happening with film production? How do you think things will look? What are options for sequels? Show us your own Movie Posters and Trailers here!
elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Movies for the rest of the series

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:49 am

I can't help thinking that both the Shadow quartet and the SftD/Xenocide/CotM would make amazing movies. It's such a vivid universe, with strong characters, and I keep seeing little scenes playing themselves out in my mind, Mandachuva interrupting the emergency meeting at the end of Speaker with "Excuse me, but does this mean we should plant him now?," the opening of the mother tree, the Bugger's city, Jakt and Val getting ready to lead the expeditions on Trondheim, all of it. And the intense badassery at the end of Children of the Mind where Jane is just teleporting Peter and Wang-mu all over the place. And the Shadow series just lends itself to both some amazing action scenes (Bean and Suri leading the troops), Alai taking back control of his government mixed with the more personal scenes between Peter and his parents, Bean and Petra. etc.

but maybe the scale of these stories is just too epic to be easily captured in a movie form.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:50 am

Yeah they would all make amazing movie. But I was just thinking this morning about how the actors who play the characters would be insanely busy and to get the whole story of Ender, because there are so many books. And you would kinda have to do the whole Enderverse because you can't make one and not another.
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

TheTranskinator
Launchie
Launchie
Location: i'm not sure... it's dark and a i hear laughing... aww crap

Postby TheTranskinator » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:40 pm

Actually, I think Speaker for the Dead could be a fine standalone film. I would actually prefer that they release Speaker now, since I think it would be easier to make at the current time than Ender's Game. Then release Ender's Game along with the rest of the Ender Quartet as time goes.

Also, what if the Ender's Game film was from the perspectives of both Bean and Ender? It would have to be masterful direction to make it work, near perfect infact. But if done correctly, I think it could be the best option...

EnderX
Launchie
Launchie

Future Movies

Postby EnderX » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:19 am

I'm obviously a launchie here and this is my first posting so its a little overwhelming to be able to discuss things about an amazing series of books! I've thought about movies being done with the other books and as much as I would to see them I can't help but doubt the capability of making them any good. The movies have always cut out juicy parts of books and thats a given, so I can see them not being able to depict the books very well! More then likely they would cram to much into one movie and everything would go by really fast! I want just as badly to see these books on the big screen! But I'm new here and I've only just read the series and I am thrilled to find others to talk about it with, after all we're all connected in the same 'web'!
"Real respect takes longer than official respect."

-Ender's Game-

TheTranskinator
Launchie
Launchie
Location: i'm not sure... it's dark and a i hear laughing... aww crap

Postby TheTranskinator » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:21 am

I think that it would be hard, but I think Speaker could work if they made a long, LOTR Return of the King length movie. My only problem with that is that without Ender's Game already being made, you won't realize what Ender went through in the war that caused his infamy. And another thing, you wouldn't feel the isolation that he must have felt leaving Trondheim (spelling?) and Valentine, because you won't realize how much he misses her. I still think it could work though. Ender's Game would probably have to be severely trimmed though, since it has so many plot points. I mean it has so many different plot points to cover in a brief couple of hours. Maybe it could be long enough, but I'm not sure. Perhaps cut it off into two films when he becomes a commander? IDK...

OSCjunkie
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Movies for the rest of the series

Postby OSCjunkie » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:07 pm

I think I side with a couple of the posts on Deadline. The only way Summit is going to continue this is as a kids/teen series and that means Bean. I don't know how to do it, but following the Shadow series seems like the only way to go if you want to keep it about the kids. Shadow of the Hegemon is wayyyy better than Ender in Exile (from a book and movie perspective). I just hope they can make EG costar Ender and Bean so that the shadow series feels like a natural continuation of the EG movie. Leaving Ender behind after calling the first movie Ender's Game will be a little wierd to movie goers who don't know the books but...
"I aim to misbehave."- Mal, Serenity.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:04 pm

To be honest, if it becomes a series, I'd rather they follow the Shadow series anyway. It seems almost inevitable they're going to screw up on something, at some point, and my money is on the sequels (if EG itself isn't terrible); I see the Shadow series as disposable and I'd rather they not harm the Ender Quartet.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:53 am

Alea speaks for me on this issue.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:19 am

Given that it's coming from Summit I can't imagine them doing the back 3/4 of the Ender Quartet anyway. Shadow seems to be much more in line with the direction of their recent franchises.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:34 am

Summit is talking franchise which obviously means sequels. Tonally, the Shadow series is more in line with Ender's Game than the Speaker series, so they'll definitely go that route. I'm curious though, there isn't an Achilles casting so if they DO follow the Shadow books I wonder if they'll pull a Bourne and totally rework the books (not necessarily a bad thing, because they're uneven at best). We'll see, I guess.

Salaam

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Postby Taalcon » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:32 pm

Cassandra has posted on a potential leak from the parents of one of the stars that word is being spread of sequels.

Seeing as this allegedly came from the father of the actor playing Alai, my thought would be that the stories surrounding them would be generally based on at least part of the storyline of the Shadow novels, as they would involve the Battle School children, and would allow for them to participate, and still grow up. And if this is in mind, I can see a few additional Battle School scenes being shot for it right now, along with everything else.

It would be curious to see if any hints concerning Achilles are presented in this movie. I can see him being introduced (at least mentioned, if not seen, thus not being cast), and then getting his backstory with Bean told in a beginning to a sequel.

In such a case, I can almost guarantee that the sequel would be called Ender's Shadow.

It seems the most economically feasable thing to do would be to go that route. I guess we'll see, though.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:30 pm

I have no inside track, but I would bet money that there will not be an Ender's Shadow film. Or, in name only. The Ender's Shadow story will be told in Ender's Game, or it will be skipped over. Bean's character will be brought more front and center, to act as a foil for Ender. Achilles will be brought on board...but if I were Summit, I would keep it very quiet. Sort of like what they're doing right now.
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:42 pm

I'd agree with that.

Kill Devil Hill
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Kill Devil Hill » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:49 pm

there isn't an Achilles casting
Which reminds me, has Carn Carby been cast?
We can shed our skins and swim into the darkened void beyond
We will dance among the world that orbit stars that aren't our sun
All the oxygen that trapped us in a carbon spider's web
Solar winds are whispering, you may hear the sirens of the dead.

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:31 pm

No he hasn't. And as far as I checked, the only jeesh members that has been cast are Petra, Dink, Alai, Bean and Ender.

I wonder if any of the other jeesh members are going to be cast?
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

Yoda
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Yoda » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:04 pm

flymolo has been, but im sure u already know. I still would like to see hotsoup, Crazy tom and Shen

Yoda

Yoda
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:32 am

I read some place that Beans character would definitly be showcased more. Makes sense to set him up for the sequals. I also read that Archilles would been mentioned, but not in the 1st movie. I wish I could remember where I read it.

I really look foward to the sequals and how they will do it. Bean , Peter and archilles will have huge roles.

Heres a wild thought. Do you think its possible that they could change the story line to include Ender in the sequals? I was thikning something along the lines of Bean and Ender working together with Ender leaving at the end of Shadow puppets when Bean leaves with his kids. Would make for a connection to the speaker of dead series. Just a wild thought.

Yoda

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:09 pm

My high risk dream: end the film with a setup for both Shadow Series, and the Speaker Trilogy.

Commission 2 separate film series to be in production at the same time, one following the Shadow Series, one following Speaker for the Dead. There would be zero overlap need in actors until the end of Xenocide/Children of the Mind, where we could have not only a special re-appearance of Abigail Beslin as NuVal, but Jimmy Pinchak could return as NuPeter!

Having been plowing through all of these, I think there's some potential in both for some amazing stuff. I do think the structure of the Shadow Books would have to have some severe alterations, while still being able to remain true to the basic story and characters.

The Speaker films would be a completely different genre, but powerful, and amazing stories.

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:21 pm

The speaker films would also get a record for cheapest teleportation effects in the history of film.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Yoda
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:44 pm

The speaker films would also get a record for cheapest teleportation effects in the history of film.

just had to laugh over this one

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:48 pm

Except for the displacement effect.

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:23 am

You'll all have to excuse the fact that its 12:20am my time and only 3hrs ago i reposted here on PWEB looking for movie news and reminising about old calvinball post, so i haven't read everybodies post. I'll read them tomorrow...lol later today.

Tht being said if done right like LotR then adding 2 or more movies could totally work. I'd love to see how SftD would be played out or ES.
Pweb member since 2002

"Remember kids...A smart man knows when...to run like a little bi**h"
-Desert Punk

123chess456
Launchie
Launchie

Postby 123chess456 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:29 pm

3/4 of the ender quadrilogy would be for the adults. Nobody would make them.

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:52 pm

I disagree with "no-one would make them" most of us going to see Ender's Game will be adults and if the first does incredably well like oh lets say "Hunger Games" for example than plenty will want to sign up to make another winner
Pweb member since 2002

-Desert Punk

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:50 pm

I disagree with "no-one would make them" most of us going to see Ender's Game will be adults and if the first does incredably well like oh lets say "Hunger Games" for example than plenty will want to sign up to make another winner
What made Hunger Games a winner (and what will make Ender's Game a winner too) is almost certain not to be the existing adult fan base.

Crazy Sam
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Crazy Sam » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:24 pm

With all the nonsense that is going up on the big screen this year if EG is a big enough success they will definitely continue on with a winner. That being said it will most definitely be the shadow series getting made. You get the Bean/Petra romance and possibly the betrayal of Ender by Val/Bean to protect him from being Peter's pawn. Not to mention a lot more action. I know a lot of the producers want to capture the 'date audience' with some type of romance. Not to mention if we do get an actor cast to play Achilles. We will get a phenominal villan. It's hard to imagine however the speaker trilogy getting made. I think HBO could do wonders with something like that though. You even get CSI involves when you look at Marcão disease and, adultry by Novinha. Could be pretty cool.

Just the fleeting thoughts of a launchie.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:22 am

As much as I'd prefer they used the Speaker series for potential movie sequels, they'll almost certainly go with Shadow. From a practical standpoint, if they want to use the same actors for the sequel(s), Shadow is the way to go. Everyone is older in the Speaker series so they'd have to get an entirely new cast.

Also, what the hell is a "quadrilogy"? We already have a word for four of something and it's been used in reference to the Ender series in particular for years: quartet.
The enemy's fly is down.

Yoda
Launchie
Launchie

Advetising Enders Game

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:44 pm

Anyone wonder how they will Advertise Enders game?

I think that will be a key to its success. I look at alot of todays trailers and think, " another Sci Fyi movie all action and no story". I just pray this wont happen.

ANyone have any ideas on how it should be Advertised? Buddy movie? action? fights? What can be shown to draw interest from people?

Yoda

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:37 pm

I think to capture an action/story feel they'll need to show short 1-2 second snips of Ender's fights with Banzo an Stilson and then shots of him in the aftermath. Also a screenshot of Bean's message to the teachers "Banzo is insane" along with some other stuff.

Personally though, I'm happy with them as books. I'll be EXTREMELY annoyed if they stuff the movie up especially because they aren't ever as emotionally fulfilling as books and because some ignorrant s***heads will go and see it and say "I won't read the books. The movie was crap. That Ender kid started out cool but just turned sissy in the end." I mean, they have that reaction to the book only the book would explain it better unless they do a PERFECT job on the movie.
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

HectorVictorious
Launchie
Launchie

Re:

Postby HectorVictorious » Thu May 10, 2012 9:36 pm

[quote="TheTranskinator"] what if the Ender's Game film was from the perspectives of both Bean and Ender? It would have to be masterful direction to make it work, near perfect infact. But if done correctly, I think it could be the best option...[/quote]

Sorry to address an old entry, but I was just skimming through this thread;
While I think this would make an awesome movie, the movie just wouldn't really be Ender's game. However, if I hadn't read the books prior, I would propably love it like this. But personally I think that if you not going to make the movie like the book why make the movie?
Like that horrible waste of an hour and forty minutes, [i]The Rum Diary[/i]. I don't know if anyone from pweb read the book, but literally not one thing from the book happened in the movie. Hunter S Thompson must have rolled in his grave.
Or he would have if he wasn't cremated.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Sat May 19, 2012 11:55 pm

In fact, OSC intends to do exactly what Transky said, make an EG/ES movie. It would explain the story better, conversly reduce movie time and solve some inherrent problems. It would still be called "Ender's Game" but would use both the Ender and Bean storylines.
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:45 pm

Not gonna lie - I think the Formic Wars novels have far more movie potential, so far, than any of the others for an immediate movie sequel.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:30 pm

Not gonna lie - I think the Formic Wars novels have far more movie potential, so far, than any of the others for an immediate movie sequel.
Depends on what they want. I think the Shadow quartet would make for phenomenal movies.

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:29 am

just had to laugh over this one

lol
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Fri May 31, 2013 3:15 pm

I think HBO could do wonders with something like that though. You even get CSI involves when you look at Marcão disease and, adultry by Novinha. Could be pretty cool.
Now that's an idea...HBO could do it, hell I'm going to bug the you know what out of them to make a series or mini movie series like Band of Brothers, after the movie is out and a hit. No question it will be a hit!

As for Shadow series I can't lie, going from Enders Game to Shadow series makes a lot of sense but you would have to have references back to Ender to keep the character involved...so maybe hybrid some parts to include Enders journey amongst the stars
Pweb member since 2002

-Desert Punk

Return to “Ender's Game Movie Rumors, Speculation and Fan Art”