Enders Game Series: A Way to Think

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
Samsonovich
Launchie
Launchie

Enders Game Series: A Way to Think

Postby Samsonovich » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:58 pm

I Have read Enders Saga, and I have just finished Shadow of the Giant.

What I've walked away so far (I'm not done reading the books) is something entirely different compared to when I first sat down with Enders Game. It's changed me, the way I think, my religious views, scientific views, even cultural views. I never expected to be influenced this drastically by a single collection of literature.

Before I indulge myself by writing a full review of the moral standpoints I've pulled out of these books, is there anyone that shares this amazing feeling with me?

-Samson, a wannabe Battle School army commander

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Re: Enders Game Series: A Way to Think

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:31 pm

I'm not sure I can state anything specific, but the Ender books along with other sci-fi masterpieces such as Dune and the Foundation trilogy that I read in my teens shaped the way I think in a lot of ways.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Re: Enders Game Series: A Way to Think

Postby Boothby » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:30 am

Son of Son of Sam,

I think that would be a valuable contribution to discussions! I (for one) would like to read what you have to write.

Perhaps on the same topic (perhaps not), since having read the book over 10 years go, I've wondered if anyone has ever tried to use the "Ender Wiggin Defense" regarding excessive use of force in self-defense. Not having ever been put in a situation anything like that, I'm not sure if there even IS a concern over "excessive use of force in self-defense." But I do wonder.

And the "Stand your ground" ruling really doesn't count, since it's typically only used to allow white or light-skinned bi-racial men to hunt young un-armed black men with relative impunity. (And before I create an uproar, let me say that I recognize that these young black men are not without fault. After all, they were found to be "looking out of place," or "playing their annoying music way too loudly")
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”