Question from New Reader

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
sungreenx
Launchie
Launchie

Question from New Reader

Postby sungreenx » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:23 pm

This question most likely has been asked and answered countless times, but after seeing the movie, and reading the first book, I was somewhat confused when it was revealed that the Formics did not realize that human beings were sentient during the First and Second Invasion, and that only by attacking a mothership and killing a Queen, did they realize their error.

My question is this: How did the Formics not realize that Humans were sentient in the first place? I know they thought a hive-minded intelligence was a requisite for "thinking beings," but they were still dealing with humans in technological spacecraft, which obviously required some a minimum of intelligence, and even sentience, to operate.

I know the Formics came to Earth's system with the intent of colonizing Earth, but did they think that human beings were simply animals? Or, perhaps they thought Humans were like Formics, with a queen and many drones (which would explain why they thought little of an individual human dying)?

It seems odd to me that even with a completely alien way of communicating and reasoning, that, when faced with beings that had the technological capability of spacecraft and space warfare, that it never dawned on them that there was intelligence behind it.

Could anyone please enlighten me?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Re: Question from New Reader

Postby Luet » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:50 pm

Or, perhaps they thought Humans were like Formics, with a queen and many drones (which would explain why they thought little of an individual human dying)?
IIRC, this was the reasoning.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:51 pm

Yes. From the Formic's perspective, Earth was just occupied by drones, and killing drones is like clipping toe nails.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Demosthene
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Demosthene » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:04 pm

I think, Formic are not a very problem in the Hegemon's Shadow (it is the english "titre" ?). In the book one, Ender's Shadow, Bean said that Formics are the priority, and it must stop internal disputes. Bean said that Formics are the priority, and it must stop internal disputes. Bean said that Formics are the priority, and it must stop internal disputes.
Ne l'oubliez pas, la porte ennemie est en bas !
Do not forget the enemy's gate is down !

I put it there waiting to find a more original

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”