Where did the Wiggins live?

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
BenMcLean
Launchie
Launchie

Where did the Wiggins live?

Postby BenMcLean » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:07 pm

My understanding is that John Paul Wiggin came from Poland to the USA, and then later moved to North Carolina. But where, specifically, are they living at which points in time? What town specifically are they from and which book is it mentioned in?

thebelgian
Launchie
Launchie

Re: Where did the Wiggins live?

Postby thebelgian » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:12 am

It is my understanding that they lived in a city, because Ender refers to his home as a "flat", and when the Wiggins had moved to North Carolina part of the reason given was because getting out of the city could be a calming influence on Peter. Which city is not specified as far as I know.
When Valentine lights a small fire in the forest behind the new house in Greensboro, she wonders how Ender will find them among all the trees when he had been used to city corridors.
However, in Shadow of the Hegemon, when Bean visits Greensboro, he refers to it as if it were Ender's hometown, looking at the school and the front step of what Bean thought of as Ender's childhood home.
This is an apparent contradiction that bothers me somewhat, so if anyone has an explanation I would be happy to hear it.

Please correct me if any of this is wrong.

DescoladoreEnderII
Launchie
Launchie

Re: Where did the Wiggins live?

Postby DescoladoreEnderII » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:32 pm

It is my understanding that they lived in a city, because Ender refers to his home as a "flat", and when the Wiggins had moved to North Carolina part of the reason given was because getting out of the city could be a calming influence on Peter. Which city is not specified as far as I know.
When Valentine lights a small fire in the forest behind the new house in Greensboro, she wonders how Ender will find them among all the trees when he had been used to city corridors.
However, in Shadow of the Hegemon, when Bean visits Greensboro, he refers to it as if it were Ender's hometown, looking at the school and the front step of what Bean thought of as Ender's childhood home.
This is an apparent contradiction that bothers me somewhat, so if anyone has an explanation I would be happy to hear it.

Please correct me if any of this is wrong.
It's possible Bean does not know that Ender's family moved while he was at Battle School, because even though Bean doesn't miss much, it is a relatively small detail and maybe Bean just didn't care enough to ask Ender/hack into the I.F.
"And then he did. And then he died."
Shadows in Flight

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”