Reading Order

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
alldamdayboy
Launchie
Launchie

Reading Order

Postby alldamdayboy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:07 pm

hi..i just stumbled upon waht seems to be a rich and expansive world or "Enderverse"
i was totally new to any books in the "Ender's Game" series..i looked up a few differnt sites and found that although teh author says you can enter teh Enderverse at any point wit any novel there are 2 more distinct reading formats:
chronolgical-following teh timelines in the books (ie starting Star Wars at Phantom Menace)
publish date-reading tehm in the order they wrre written or atleast published
i was going to go chronologically but felt maybe i would lose some of teh authors vision by doing this..but i had alrdy read ¾ of "First Meetings" i stopped after Ender's Game feeling like i might have totally spoilered teh novel Ender's Game by reading teh short story version..anyway..i started reading Ender's Game the novel and realize that now i am reading this book with a preconditioned imagination of the story and it's world..but things are alrdy incongruous wit the First Meetings version..

▪Have i ruined teh overall experience of reading these books by starting with First Meetings?
▪Should i continue chronologically since i alrdy read First Meetings?

any insights would be appreciated..thank you

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Reading Order

Postby EAGLE » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:54 pm

well considering that I have not read first meeting nor the other "pre-ender's game" stories, I'd say start with Ender's Game and work through his story {EG, Speaker, Xeno, etc}. Then look at the other stories in the verse. That way you get a feel for the whole universe from the beginning as seen by Ender. OSC started with Ender's Game so I'd start there.

Which is what I did. Then I hit the Shadow Series, and am only now going for the First Meeting series and other branch outs. Now mind you Ender's Game is standard reading for my high school's sohpmore english class so I was shown only that first; also nothing past Children of the Mind was written yet.
Pweb member since 2002

"Remember kids...A smart man knows when...to run like a little bi**h"
-Desert Punk

chriswen
Launchie
Launchie

Re: Reading Order

Postby chriswen » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:18 pm

That's what you get to read for high school sophomore?

WOW!

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”