Collecting OSC Ender's Saga and Shadow Books

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
coderedx
Launchie
Launchie

Collecting OSC Ender's Saga and Shadow Books

Postby coderedx » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:20 am

I've long been a collector of books in the Ender series and the Shadow series. I'm hoping somebody else on this board is too and can answer a few questions.

First, I've never been able to find a leather bound edition of Shadows in Flight or Ender in Exile. Do such books exist?

The only books I've ever seen an uncorrected proof (or advance review copy) for are: Ender's Game (very rare), Speaker for the Dead (rare), Xenocide (common), Ender's Shadow (common), Shadow of the Hegemon (common), and Shadow Puppets (common). Do they exist for other books?

Varelse
Launchie
Launchie

Re: Collecting OSC Ender's Saga and Shadow Books

Postby Varelse » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:09 pm

:X
Last edited by Varelse on Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coderedx
Launchie
Launchie

Postby coderedx » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:47 pm

Thanks so much for your response. I was able to locate Ender in Exile in a leatherbound format. No luck on Shadows in Flight. The publisher doesn't show such a book was released.

coderedx
Launchie
Launchie

Postby coderedx » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:12 pm

For anybody interested, I've done a lot of research on the "collectible" versions of all of the books in the Ender and Shadow saga. I've put all of the editions I know of below. I welcome corrections and additions! As far as I can tell, there's not one place on the internet where this information is gathered.

Ender's Game
Easton Press Leatherbound Signed Edition
Tor Books Leatherbound Signed Limited Edition (Limitation Number Unknown)

Easton Press never released the number of copies sold; I suspect it is a few hundred. I've never seen a copy of the Tor edition to find the limitation number.

The first edition of Ender's Game is also highly collectible, especially if signed. Signed copies of the 2006 gift edition are also prized.

Speaker for the Dead
Easton Press Leatherbound Edition (Limitation Number Unknown)

Easton Press never released the number of copies sold; I suspect it is a few hundred. It seems to be rarer than the Ender's Game Easton Press edition, and it is unsigned. I'm not aware of a signed limited edition.

The first edition of Speaker for the Dead is also highly collectible, especially if signed.

Xenocide
Tor Books Signed Limited Leatherbound Edition - Limited to 325 Copies, 300 Numbered, 25 Lettered

Children of the Mind
Tor Books Signed Limited Leatherbound Edition - Limited 100 Copies, 75 Numbered, 25 Lettered

Ender's Shadow
Tor Books Leatherbound Signed Limited Edition (Limitation Number Unknown)

I've never seen a copy of the Tor edition to find the limitation number.

Shadow of the Hegemon
Tor Books Leatherbound Signed Limited Edition - Limited to 125 Copies, 100 Numbered, 25 Lettered

Shadow Puppets
Tor Books Leatherbound Signed Limited Edition - Limited to 125 Copies, 100 Numbered, 25 Lettered

Shadow of the Giant
Tor Books Leatherbound Signed Limited Edition - Limited to 100 Copies

I believe all are numbered. I've never seen a lettered version.

Ender in Exile
Tor Books Leatherbound Signed Limited Edition - Limited to 100 Copies, 75 Numbered, 25 Lettered

First Meetings
Subterreanean Press Signed Limited Edition in Slipcase - Limited to 350 Copies

http://subterraneanpress.com/store/prod ... t_meetings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is different than the mass market version, which came out later and includes an extra story.

The version sold at EnderCon - which is still a SubPress version, but without the limitation page and signature - is the true first edition.

Other Collectibles
August 1977 Edition of Analog Magazine - Includes the Original Version of Ender's Game
Easton Press Maps in a Mirror - Signed First Edition - Includes the Original Version of Ender's Game
Ender's War - Book Club Book - Contains Both Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead Together

Advance Reader Copies and Proofs
I've seen advance reader copies (ARCs) or proofs for the following books: Ender's Game (rare), Speaker for the Dead (rare), Xenocide (common), Ender's Shadow (common), Shadow of the Hegemon (common), Shadow Puppets (common), First Meetings (common).
Last edited by coderedx on Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

coderedx
Launchie
Launchie

Postby coderedx » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:15 pm

I am not aware of any limited editions of the following books:

A War of Gifts
Shadows in Flight
Earth Unaware
Earth Afire

As always, I welcome corrections and additions!

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:36 pm

There was also the Endercon edition of First Meetings, which is technically the first edition.

I've got signed copies of all the Shadow books (I think) that I'll be selling, and I'll be selling as well as signed copies of most of the other OSC titles. Wierdly, I never bought the original quartet in HC because I didn't have the money to afford HCs of those and when I did, I didn't want to buy them anymore (I bought Discworld instead).
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

coderedx
Launchie
Launchie

Postby coderedx » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:48 pm

There was also the Endercon edition of First Meetings, which is technically the first edition.

I've got signed copies of all the Shadow books (I think) that I'll be selling, and I'll be selling as well as signed copies of most of the other OSC titles. Wierdly, I never bought the original quartet in HC because I didn't have the money to afford HCs of those and when I did, I didn't want to buy them anymore (I bought Discworld instead).
What does the Endercon edition look like? I've never heard of that one. Was it before SubPress's edition?

The next couple of weeks will be a ripe time for selling Ender and Shadow collectibles! Let me know what you're selling; I might be interested.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:15 pm

sure. First Meetings was initially a short run sold exclusively at Endercon in 2002. extra copies were sold at hatrack.com until it went out of stock. The subpress edition came after the first edition sold out. I think the cover art is very similar if not the same, but the boards are different and there may be one additional story in the subpress edition, I'd have to check to be sure. Here's what it looked like: http://web.archive.org/web/200210042109 ... ings.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll put together a list and post it here tonight, let me know what you're interested in. I was going to sell them on amazon, but if I can avoid amazon taking their cut, I'd be very happy.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:18 pm

hmm, I have fewer OSC books than I thought, all of them are listed except Crystal City which OSC sent me after helping to proof it, so it's inscribed with my first and last name.

I've started pricing these, anybody on pweb who is interested, PM me, add $4 for shipping. I'd like to see them go to a good home.

$10 - Children of the Mind - First Edition in archival mylar, good
$20 - Ender's Shadow - First Edition, signed, inscribed, in archival mylar, near fine
$20 - Shadow of the Hegemon - First Edition, signed, inscribed, in archival mylar, fine
$20 - Shadow Puppets - First Edition, signed, inscribed, in archival mylar, like new
$20 - Shadow of the Giant - First Edition, signed, inscribed, dated, in archival mylar, like new
$10 - Ender in Exile - First Edition, in archival mylar, like new
$30 - First Meetings - Deluxe Hardcover Signed Limited Edition, Subterranean Press (dustjacket art by Gail Cross) three stories, Signed, Inscribed, Dated 5 July 2002 (Endercon date), in archival mylar, Like new other than a slight shelfwear bump on the bottom right corner.
$15 - First Meetings in the Enderverse - Tor (dustjacket by Michael Collica) four stories, Signed, Inscribed, Dated, in archival mylar, like new.

Non Ender books
Songmaster (BCE) - Signed, Inscribed, in archival mylar, poor (dustjacket damaged)
The Abyss (BCE, i presume) - in archival mylar, fair (shelfwear and bumps on the corners and dustjacket edges)
An Open Book - Subterranean, in Archival mylar, like new
Stonefather - Subterranean, deluxe sewn hardcover edition, in archival mylar, Signed on bookplate, signed, inscribed and dated on title page, like new
Doorways - no publisher information, limited chapbook, Signed, inscribed, like new
Posing as People - Subterranean limited edition in archival mylar (I'll have to check on the CDs, but this is a misprint with one of the cds incorrectly a repeat of the other cd (but labeled as disc one, two etc)) Signed, inscribed on the bookplate, number 161. fine.
How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy, paperback, signed, inscribed, good
Characters and Viewpoint - hardcover, good
Saints - Subterranean Deluxe Hardcover Edition, in archival mylar, near fine
Maps in a Mirror - paperback, signed, inscribed, good
The Worthing Chronicle - paperback, tight unbroken binding, some shelf wear and bumps, corner crease on the back cover, near fine-

Red Prophet - First Printing, in archival mylar, near fine (rear upper right corner nicked)
Alvin Journeyman - First Edition, in archival mylar, fine
Heartfire - First Edition, in archival mylar, like new

Memory of Earth - First Trade Edition in archival mylar, near fine.
Call of Earth - First Trade Edition in archival mylar, signed, inscribed, very good
Ships of Earth - First Trade Edition in archival mylar, near fine+
Earthfall - First Trade Edition in archival mylar, signed, inscribed, like new
Earthborn - First Trade Edition in archival mylar, signed, inscribed, near fine

coderedx
Launchie
Launchie

Postby coderedx » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:07 pm

I've now seen a copy of the signed limited Children of the Mind. There are 100 copies, 75 numbered and 25 lettered.

I've also researched the Endercon version of First Meetings. I believe it is identical to the Subterranean Press edition, except WITHOUT the signed numbered pages. The EnderCon version would be the true first edition. I'm not aware if there is any way to distinguish it from the SubPress trade edition. If anybody knows, let me know.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”