Thoughts on Ender's Shadow

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
incredibly_ordinary
Launchie
Launchie

Thoughts on Ender's Shadow

Postby incredibly_ordinary » Thu May 09, 2013 10:03 pm

The book begins following Bean as a orphan living on the streets of Rotterdam, and without giving away too much of the story, has his genius recognized by a nun and whisked away to Battle School. One of my favorite realizations that becomes apparent in the book is the fact that intellectually, Bean surpasses Ender. The fact that, knowing this, Ender is still chosen over Bean to lead earth's forces against the alien enemy. This is just one example of the deeper themes in the book - that Ender's humanity (which Bean struggles to find within himself) is the greater factor that endears Ender's jeesh to him.

Please read the rest at my blog at the following URL and post comments to let me know what you think!!

http://incrediblyordinarythoughts.blogs ... verse.html

BobbyOodle
Launchie
Launchie
First Joined: 08 Jul 2013

Re: Thoughts on Ender's Shadow

Postby BobbyOodle » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:16 am

I know you requested that I comment on your blog, but I wanna do it here! But I will check out your blog.

I loved it. It was amazing to see the things Ender's did from someone else's view. CAUTION SPOILERS AHEAD.
For example, when Ender had just killed Bonzo, and walked back to Dragon Army's Barracks it explained how every soldier in his army saw blood across Ender's arms and back, this wasn't a theme in Ender's Game. Also how when Bean tried to stop (and succeeded) in stopping Petra from luring Ender into Salamander's army, Ender was really protecting Bean, because he knew Bean would try to protect Ender, and with Bean being a doll basically, he would be destroyed. And how Petra explained how Ender deliberately was alone during lunch and showered when Bean gave his spiel about Ender at lunch. Ender knew he had to do it and kill Bonzo.

Also I adore Bean's back story. He's just such a good character.

I look forward to a response!
Salaam, my friend.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”