Reaction to Enders Game

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
kmsp99
Launchie
Launchie

Reaction to Enders Game

Postby kmsp99 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:22 pm

I ultimately thought that Ender’s game was an amazing story and unlike anything that I have ever read. One of the things that I enjoyed about the story was the perspective in which it was told through. Although we were allowed into the minds of a few other characters, Ender was the main one who narrated the book. He travels through his training advancements, the battles he encounters and the toll that this lifestyle takes on him. He has a lot of pressure to become a great commander but he was chosen to lead the universe. One of the main themes that I grasped through reading this was determination and ambition. Although ender was so young and experienced so much pressure and stress, he was determined to fight and prove those who doubted him wrong. It was not the idea that he wanted to fight, it was the idea that he knew that he had to in order to protect his sister. It was a good theme for the book because it is a lesson that many people should take into consideration. Always fight for what you believe in and never give up, something Ender proved great even though this was not the lifestyle that he had wanted for himself. The book featured other great themes and topics such as childhood, sibling rivalry, manipulation, tortured minds and bravery. I did expect this book to have more suspense and action compared to other science fiction novels that I have read in the past. Otherwise, I thought this was a great book and I am glad that I had the opportunity to read it.

TylerZenner
Launchie
Launchie

My Reaction

Postby TylerZenner » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:02 am

This was my first time reading Ender's Game and I have to say that I enjoyed it. The book kept me very entertained the whole book and on top of that had a message that made me think. The message in Ender's Game is that Ender got used for his abilities. They took advantage of a young child and tricked him into fighting their battles for them. Graff recruited Ender and told him that he was training for a war that in which he would be a commander. However, when Ender was in the "game", he was actually fighting real people. This manipulation of Ender is very tragic and it is what I remember most from the book.

I relate this to real life when young kids are put into a work environment at a very young age. I think of you children in India or China who are working in factories at age 8. These kids lose their childhood, because they nothing more than the factory life. In the book, Ender loses his childhood because he is groomed from age 6 to be a warrior. Ender is tricked by the adults and doesn't know any better.

gasco008
Launchie
Launchie

Re: Reaction to Enders Game

Postby gasco008 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:25 pm

This was also my first time reading Ender's Game. I read it for my Science Fiction class and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I felt very sympathetic for Ender because he was broken down to believe that he could trust no one and was ultimately manipulated into doing things that he didn't want to do. I thought it was a good display of how people use something/someone to benefit themselves. Ender had no interest in fighting and he was the only one in the novel that sympathized with the Buggers, yet he was tricked into destroying their entire population because he was the only one who could save the world. I thought that this was a very different type of Science Fiction book, and I really enjoyed it. I can't wait to read the others in the series!

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Postby Taalcon » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:01 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, and welcome, both of you! Head up into the Foyer, and introduce yourselves :)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:38 pm

Welcome to Pweb!

I think one of my favorite things about people's first reactions to reading it is they are surprised by how much they like it. Part of it is they're not SF fans, part of it is they are and like it just that much more than they could have imagined.

Anyhow, stick around, tell us more about you and about what you think of the book(s)!
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

hart0756
Launchie
Launchie

Postby hart0756 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:21 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I particularly found it fascinating that the story and its characters did such an amazing job of capitalizing on the realities and fears of being a child yet so vividly, drew us away from characteristics associated with children, to the point that at times, I lost myself in the story and associated the events with adults. This dance went on through the entire book and the constant pull back to remind us that Ender was in fact only a child, played a significant role in the overall magnitude of the circumstances.

basse058
Launchie
Launchie

Postby basse058 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:08 pm

Such a great book! I am a fan of all things SF and am just floored by how good this novel was.

The ending hits perfectly and the characters are so real and understandable.

The Wiggin family is astounding and has so much of an interesting dynamic. While fitting Peter and Ender had some sort of peace in the end, seeing them grow up as political enemies would have been amazing!

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:16 am

My immediate reaction to EG alone was "Wow". It's an amazing story and one which I can read again and again. I felt that I knew Ender, I felt that we connected. The story is THAT well told.
I fell more in love with Bean though, reading the Shadow books.
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

lmnop
Launchie
Launchie

reaction to book

Postby lmnop » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:14 pm

so I read Ender's Game for my sci-fi class and I thought it was really good. Apparently Orson Scott Card wrote other books with the same characters, I probably wont read these so I was wondering if someone could tell me if any of them are about the young bugger queen Ender found and what happens to her. I am Inquiring because after reading Ender's Game I dreamed that when Ender cut the queen out of the cocoon it grew up and ate everybody. The book suggests that this is not a possibility for a sequel with the whole mind speech sharing of bugger history thing so I don't expect to find any of that in a book. Has anyone else considered that a possibility however?

matan009
Launchie
Launchie

Postby matan009 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:02 pm

Also a first time reader of Ender's Game! I read this book for my Sci-Fi class at the University of Minnesota-Duluth and really enjoyed it. The Wiggins are an interesting bunch of children. They're parents aren't detailed a whole lot in the book but yet they end up with three genius children. I'm sure there's something special about their parents as well but would have to read the other books in the series to find out. The book as a whole was a giant mind game for me and I was stressing trying to pick it all up at certain times. When Ender found out that he actually killed the Buggers and ended the war I had to go back and look at certain parts from earlier just to understand exactly what was happening and what I didn't pick up earlier. I thought the relationship between Graf and Ender was also very interesting. Graf was pretty much Ender's mentor but never really came out and said it because he knew that he could only teach Ender so much before he was surpassed. Graf protected Ender and singled him out because he knew exactly what Ender could be. The fact that the use of games was so prominent should've been known by the title of the book. Once reading the book I realized that the whole book is based on multiple different "games". These games eventually seemed to play with Ender's head because he didn't like hurting anybody but he also was to smart to lose as well. Overall I thought the book was really cool even though I didn't always understand what was going on.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:32 pm

Welcome matan009!
You're lucky. I read EG over and over before getting the other books on audio and read them again and again before finding this place. In fact I only found it while looking for an e-mail server!
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Re: reaction to book

Postby Tiny genius » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:38 pm

Imnop you have psychic powers! That's exactly what happens!
No it doesn't. Seriously, the Speaker trilogy (Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide and Children of the Mind) all follow the story involving the restoration of the Hive Queen. I recommend reading them and the Shadow cycle too.
Welcome to Pweb!

Here's some abbreviations you might need to know:
EG = Ender's Game
EiE = Ender in Exile
SftD = Speaker for the Dead
XN = Xenocide
CotM = Children of the Mind
ES = Ender's Shadow
SotH = Shadow of the Hegemon
SP = Shadow Puppets
SotG = Shadow of the Giant
SiF = Shadows in Flight
BS = Battle School
CS = Command School
BR = Battle Room

You probably find these out anyway but just a hand anyways!

pelow008
Launchie
Launchie

Postby pelow008 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:48 pm

This was my first time reading Ender's Game. I had never read a Science Fiction novel until I enrolled in Science Fiction class in college. It has been interesting and helped to expand my reading. By far, Ender's Game was my favorite book that I have read in this class. It kept my attention the whole time, and I read it extremely fast. I enjoyed that it was mostly from Ender's perspective and the reader was able to experience the situations from his view. I find the power of the human mind to be extremely interesting. The author did a good job of enabling me to imagine every situation. In addition, I liked how Ender was able to power through all the difficult situations. From conception, he was destined to have a rough life and he was able to make it through everything, which is empowering. Lastly, I liked how Ender made up for his actions in the end of the book by changing peoples' attitudes about the Buggers. Overall, this book was awesome and I will probably read it again!

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:32 pm

I completely agree. OSC does a wonderful job of letting you see things from Ender's perspective and Val's too.
I like the conversations at the start of chapters which persists throughout most or all of the books.

Definitely reread it, I've done so uncountable times and found new things every time. It's an incredible story, incredibly well told.

witte160
Launchie
Launchie

Postby witte160 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:53 am

I read this book for a UMD class and I loved it! I read it in one sitting because I was so curious about what challenges Ender would have to face next and how he would respond to them. The book did a good job at making you think that things couldn't get worse or tougher for Ender and in some way they always did. I thought that it helped the reader keep on the toes and relate to Ender more because I got frustrated along with him everytime they pushed him further. One of favorite parts to read was when he was in simulated game facing the giant, the wolf-kids, and eventually himself because it had this dark fairytale land that allowed Ender a place to deal with his problems and move forward in life. In the end I was shocked on how the buggers used this game to lead Ender to the egg and that they forgave him wishing him only to try to find a safe world so that their kind could start over again. I enjoyed the fact that Ender had a new start with the forgiveness and that it wouldn't wear him down as much, though I'm sure he still felt guilty over it. I loved how the book kept reminding me that he was so young because honestly I kept forgetting because its hard to imagine so young being so intelligent and being able to go through so much pain and pressure. I can't imagine having the weight of the world on your shoulders. The next step is to read the rest of the saga because I can't imagine the things that Ender will have to face in the future. Maybe he will have to have a final battle with Peter(who I consider his worst enemy) or maybe the two of them will finally love each other. The book has a way of twisting things that make it hard to guess the future, which is fine with me because it keeps it interesting. I'm really excited about seeing the movie next year because while the battles and training were interesting to read about, I'm sure watching them will be even better.

eklun073
Launchie
Launchie

Reaction to Ender's Game

Postby eklun073 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:01 pm

I also read this book for a UMD Science Fiction class. I have to say that when I started the book I was surprised at how quickly I got into it. I really enjoyed that the story was told from Ender's point of view and I really enjoyed that you almost share in his struggle of everything that's going on. It's apparent from the beginning that he is a gifted child and even though his monitoring device gets removed, it's apparent after a fight (and Ender's response to questions regarding the fight) with a fellow student by the name of Stilson, that he is meant for greater things. Specifically, Commander School and the schools that follow. I really enjoyed that, while reading the novel, you could truly sympathize with Ender in him being constantly isolated. He seems to want to have as normal of a childhood as possible and because he is so gifted with intelligence it makes it nearly impossible. I found myself forgetting at times, how young Ender is throughout my reading and being reminded reinforced my sympathy for him in that you don't want any child to feel ridiculed for anything, let alone their genius and it really made the book feel like more than just a 'Sci-Fi' read. I also enjoyed reading about Ender's "mini-triumphs", such as when he is placed in the zero-gravity simulator and yet again, exceeds anybody's original expectations of him by showing new tactics never before seen by a previous student. I also found the twist of Ender's family being responsible for the letters written under the names Locke and Demosthenes to be rather shocking. While the world is at odds with a foreign being, they're also at odds with each other and I felt that this information was purposely kept from Ender as to not distract him from what the IF leaders want from him, which is for him to lead the IF's in a war against the Formics. I also found the twist at the end of the story, when you find out that the dreams Ender was having were essentially implanted in his brain by the Formics, to be extremely interesting. It seems to be a common theme throughout many of our novels that the protagonist of the story somehow has ties to what we are made to believe is the enemy of the story. The way the story left off makes me want to continue the series to see what other situations Ender finds himself in. Just as the UMD student before me said, it seemed that throughout the novel every time you assumed nothing else could go wrong for Ender, something else did. Overall, I found this novel to be very intriguing. I liked the way the Formics were made to seem like almost like ants and therefore familiar, and I also really enjoyed that it was told from Ender's point of view because you could really get into the novel and start to identify with Ender and his struggles.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:41 pm

Hey witte160. I too enjoyed the part with the wolf-kids and the giant. Clever what the buggers did with the egg too. In hindsight, maybe I should've seen the revelation that the "game" was the real war coming, but as you said it keeps you guessing because (and I think not having to physically read the print but listening to it helped here) I physically in/exhaled (I can't remember which) when it happened. "The battles were real..." What??!

Ender and Peter do have an existing relationship beyond book 1 but I won't say any more than that because to do so would be a MAJOR, MAJOR, MAJOR spoiler.

Welcome to Pweb, by the way :)

griml009
Launchie
Launchie

Postby griml009 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:23 pm

Wow. I had been told time and time again by friends, family and strangers to read this book, and never actually got around to it until now. Well, it was worth the wait. I can't remember a book I've enjoyed like this in quite some time. Something about Ender made almost instantly relatable. Despite him obviously being a child genius, Card's way of expressing Ender's thoughts and feelings drew me in. This made it easy to root for him throughout his challenges and trials, and also provides a possible explanation as to why the book is so alluring. With a main character like Ender who you grow so attached to, it is hard not to take pleasure in his triumphs. This is significant because throughout the novel he is consistently devising new ways to be successful. No matter how much the authority figures throw at him, he is able to overcome it and win.

One thing that I have not seen many people discussing is how accurately Card was able to describe these games, including the battle room, in a time so far ahead of video games. EG was published for the first time in the mid-80's, at which time the biggest games were on the NES. To think that Card was able to imagine a future where games like this had advanced so far is simply amazing. This includes the game that Ender plays on his desk as well as the "simulation" he runs when he is training with Mazer Rackham. Overall it just felt like Card knew something other people didn't.

Finally, I felt a little differently about the ages of the kids than most. I did not have a hard time keeping in mind how young these kids were, because my memories of being that young tell me that I did speak the way they did. They may be wrong, but at the time I felt just as smart and sophisticated as any grown-up. I didn't think of myself as inferior, and this is something I respect the author for. He didn't make it a big deal that these were little kids we were reading about. He only mentions it casually, and doesn't ever dwell on it for long.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Tue May 01, 2012 9:16 pm

I had a bit of a problem with the age, constantly telling myself that Dink at BS and Crazy Tom aren't teenagers and that Tom is even younger than Ender.

My friend had a similar experience with "Wheel of Time" to what you did with EG, being constantly told to read it and finally doing it and getting hooked. No matter how long you have to wait to read EG, it'll be worth it.

Card does seem to have an unusually good grasp of the advancement of games and I really want to either find someone who will or learn myself enough programming in order to write a version of the Fantasy Game, maybe without the shrink part though.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Re: My Reaction

Postby Tiny genius » Thu May 03, 2012 2:56 am

There are lots of "reaction to EG" type threads around. Why not post on one of them? Doesn't matter.

Do remember Graff's explanation to Ender. I'm quoting from memory not listening to the book so this quote mayn't be perfect but: "Of course we tricked you into it, that's the whole point! It's the bind we were in." and I won't try the rest of the quote from memory as I haven't read it in a while but if Ender knew what he was doing he couldn't have done it and if he did it knowing he was doing it he wouldn't have empathised with the buggers/formics enough to defeat them, wouldn't have been loved enough by his subordinates to work as smoothly as he did.

I know this is all explained in the books and now I feel like a hypocrite because I critisised someone recently for doing the exact same thing but, whatever. The point is that while the manipulation of Ender was indeed tragic, it was necessary.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu May 03, 2012 1:10 pm

There are lots of "reaction to EG" type threads around. Why not post on one of them?
I keep hoping a mod will stitch them all together into one thread but not enough to make a big deal out of it.

[/unrelated comment]

wykle004
Launchie
Launchie

Postby wykle004 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:33 pm

Ender's Game is one of my favorite science fiction novels, not to mention one of my favorite in any genre. Orson Scott Card does such an intriguing job developing the story and letting you into the mind of Ender Wiggin that it is hard to put down, even when you've read it before and know what is coming next. The novel also incorporates several themes that I am truly interested by including the use of a selective breeding program by the government, the concept of a two-child policy, the use of "games" or virtual simulations as actual war devices, and the concept of every story having two sides, first witnessed and realized when Ender confronts the Queen egg. All of these plot devices help make Ender's game the classic that it is.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Thu May 03, 2012 5:15 pm

I keep hoping a mod will stitch them all together into one thread but not enough to make a big deal out of it.
Yeah, I wondered about why that hadn't happened...

lund1327
Launchie
Launchie

Postby lund1327 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:09 pm

I first read Ender's Game in middle school. It quickly became my favorite book. Ender's battles were my favorite part of the book. His battles with Stilson, Bonzo, Graff, the formics, and even himself throughout the book. Ender from a young age dealing with his brother Peter learned to fight to survive against his psychotic older brother. His first kill was against his schoolmate Stilson, Ender knew that unless he wanted to be bullied for being a third for his entire life he had to make others fear him and he took out this rage on Stilson. He does the same to Bonzo after being attacked in the showers. He knew that unless he made an impact on Bonzo, others would continue to attempt to kill him throughout battle school. His greatest battle may have been against himself. He continued to believe that no matter what he did with his life he would continue to see himself as his brother Peter. A sociopath who killed anyone who stood in his path. If it hadn't been for Valentines help in battle school Ender may have forever been seated in his depression.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Thu May 03, 2012 11:45 pm

Depression indeed, plus that mind game was messing with him BIG TIME.

But I disagree that Ender "took out his rage" on Banzo and Stilson. He just destroyed them so thouroughly that they couldn't destroy him. It was a survival thing, not anger and retaliation. Also, in SiF, Bean states explicitly that Ender loved Stilson and Banzo as he loved the Formics. He wanted to show them that war was not the way and so made them afraid of it, unfortunately this meant killing them. Ender is continually quoted as saying that you can't defeat someone without knowing them and you can't know them without loving them.

gree0945
Launchie
Launchie

Postby gree0945 » Fri May 04, 2012 3:29 am

I am also a first time reader of EG. I really enjoyed the story despite the anger I felt toward the people using Ender. In the end my favorite parts of the story were those when Peter and Valentine were playing Demosthenes and Locke. They both had to draw on one another to build the personas and it showed just how brilliant the children were. While we were always exposed to Ender’s genius seeing it in other children, those not chosen for battle school, was an interesting aspect of the book which I was drawn to. I found myself wondering how many other rejected children there were in the world that were just as smart as Valentine and Peter. What might they be doing? How might they react to the end of the bugger war to the potential to war on Earth? What solutions would they come up with?

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Sat May 05, 2012 1:35 am

I found myself wondering how many other rejected children there were in the world that were just as smart as Valentine and Peter. What might they be doing?
2 or 3000? "Teaching, poor bastards or doing research" :)

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat May 05, 2012 5:22 am

I'll look into it next time I'm on my computer. I'm not messing with the ACP on my phone at work.
The enemy's fly is down.

iann0010
Launchie
Launchie

Postby iann0010 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:15 pm

Hello, I hope this is an appropriate thread to post my reaction – I was linked to this one as part of a cultural studies class in which I was assigned to read EG.

I’ve never read a lot of science fiction literature before taking this class, but I have always had an affinity for some of the more iconic works of scifi film; The Matrix came out when I was about ten or eleven, and that significantly piqued my interest in scifi during my formative years. This also introduced me to the recurring idea found in scifi regarding reality as a simulation. Because of this, I had a feeling I knew how EG was going to play out the way it did early on. But that was not the most interesting part of the story to me.

Like many readers have mentioned, it’s easy to forget that Ender is only six years old. His unique position as a “Third” forces him to make many difficult choices throughout his life. I found it difficult at times to sympathize with Ender because though he is six, his exceptional level intelligence and self-awareness hold him accountable for his choices. As he navigates family life, his school system at home, and BS program, I found some of his choices questionable, particularly the more violent ones, though they may be justified by self-defense, ignorance, imposed manipulation, or a combination of all three.

However, at the end of the story, Ender sees the system he entered for what it really is, and his reaction does have quite a lot of redeeming qualities. I found the story to be quite entertaining, with OSC’s sympathy game to be the most engaging component of the story. I’m looking forward to reading the rest of the series and browsing the forum!

eric14141
Launchie
Launchie

Postby eric14141 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:10 pm

I read Ender's game several times when I was younger, and i recently revisited it for a college course. I found it kind of funny that a book I read for 6th grade English class was also being used at the university level, but I loved Ender's Game so I didn't ask questions. What surprised me was how many little patterns and themes I picked up on that I was unaware of when I was younger. An example is Ender's struggle to defeat his enemies while maintaining his own humanity, and distancing himself from Peter. Comparing the minds of Ender, Peter and Valentine is especially interesting. I feel like reading it again helped me understand Graff's motivations and Ender's decision to find a new world for the buggers to live on. When I was younger, I found it difficult to not think of the buggers as the enemy. I now realize that the enemy is actually our violent nature and inability to communicate and find common ground with people we don't fully understand. The way the authorities used Ender as a tool for destruction, and his resulting despair, was tragic. I like that he was able to save the last remnants of the Bugger race, thereby making up for humanity's mistakes.

I think EG's greatest strength is that it is written simply enough to be understood and enjoyed by any age group, but the characters are so deeply layered and the universe is so rich that it is thought provoking to adults. I did read Ender's Shadow in high school, and I am now motivated to read the rest of the books in the series.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:14 pm

I am now motivated to read the rest of the books in the series.
Yay! I hope you do. There is some retconning in the Shadow series and anything past the original Ender's Quartet, basically, but if you liked ES, you should like the rest of the series at least somewhat.

(And welcome to Pweb! Glad to have you!)

Greywolfe
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Greywolfe » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:50 pm

I think this is one of my new favorite series. I came to this book series by it being included in a list of books included on a college syllabus for a communications class on Science Fiction, and it was by far the most accessible book, that still really spoke to my taste for thinking about the complexities of human responsibility in our actions towards other people. I am really looking forward to reading the rest of the series, as well as tracking down some of the tie in books and stories in this universe.

I had read other Orson Scott Card books in the past, and remember enjoying them, but I hadn't remembered them being as deep in their meaning and thoughts on both warfare and the human condition/meaning of evil as it applies to personal interactions. That being said, I did read the other books over 15 years ago, so it stands to reason that I am perhaps reading books at a deeper level at this point in my life.

I particularly enjoyed reading about the personal struggles of Ender's internal struggle with who he was as a person - whether he was a good person or not - and I am REALLY happy that Card doesn't exactly make this an easily argued case for either side of the thought process. It isn't as if Card makes it obvious what the answer to that question is, and his continued struggles with how he thinks of himself after he is "pushed/forced" into being somewhat of a type of person that he doesn't want to be.

Ender's thoughts regarding the nature of what makes a good person versus a "bad" person is wonderfully layered on top of the question of where the responsibility lies in his actions. If one responds to this central question with Ender being a murderer or a bad person, then one has to also address the second layer question of who is responsible for him being this way. He certainly was pressured into a certain method of acting, but at the same time, free will has to re-assert itself in the question and beg the definition of ultimate responsibility lying with Ender or the system that pressured him into being that person.

GREAT BOOK... :D

JaB
Launchie
Launchie

Postby JaB » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:49 am

What brings me to this board is a Science Fiction lit class I am taking. It's fun to see how literature can start something that continues on in those who appreciate and are inspired by it as well as continues to pull new people into it's story. Obviously the "nets" are a great way to keep that spark thriving.

This was the first time I read the book and, as seems to be the case according to our prof, is my favorite of what w e have read so far. I only have one to go and so I'm pretty confident this will remain true.

I have to say, some of my favorite pieces were Peter and Val's new found identities on the net. What a brilliant piece to keep the whole family interesting and tied together in an intriguing way.

I enjoyed the depth he went into regarding the methods and psychology of the training as well. Providing a depth of understanding to the school, the character and added a complexity and depth allowing people to be seen far beyond flat, cut and dry heroes or villains.

I was able to read the audio book where Orson Scott Card talks about the process of how Ender's Game came to be a book and also it's evolving into a movie. I LOVE that he stuck to his guns about Ender being younger and avoiding the puberty love interest! That alone is incentive to see the movie in the theater non matinee. There still are people not selling out. HOPE FOR HUMANITY IS RESTORED!

It was also fun to see the cast list on the forum and see how many of the actors matched or came close to the picture in my head.

As our prof predicted, this has intrigued me to want to check out the rest of the books in this series as well.

noor0037
Launchie
Launchie

Postby noor0037 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:05 pm

To be honest, Ender's Game was the first SciFi novel I've enjoyed. It was a story that I could understand. It had characters I could sympathize with, understand, relate to, like, and dislike. Everything I like about a novel, Ender's Game had. Card made his characters so human. The idea of the novel was also brilliant in itself. Leaving the fate of the world in the hands of a child. To prove that heroes can even be the little guy, the underdog. Children lack so much respect, and they get no credit. Though, the children in this story weren't children. In my mind, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't imagine them as children. In my head, they were adults. Because of the way they acted, and their thoughts and feelings. That's why this novel was so intriguing. Can you imagine yourself as one of those children? I know I couldn't. All I know is, Ender acted the best way he could in every situation. I was proud of him. Especially how difficult everything must have been for him. The damage from his brother, the bullying, the separation, being the chosen one. Kind of like Harry Potter but without the magic.

b-olie
Launchie
Launchie

Postby b-olie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:13 pm

Wow, I read this book in one sitting, from cover to cover there was grabbing, relatable material. I connected with Ender Wiggin and found wondering why would someone put themselves through all of these even though in the back of their minds they believed and wanted none of it. Ender was so incredibly smart and ahead of his time, he knew that peace was possible and the buggers did not want to fight and would have been willing to communicate. I found it astounding that the buggers do not blame humans for killing them, but Ender blames himself because he always knew in his heart that there had to be a way other than war with other sentient beings. All of the manipulation that Ender had to endure was to win a war that never needed to have been fought. All of Enders life purpose he had been so good at trying to "save" but never really morally or ethically questioned what he did. The best quotes that unraveled the entire story for me were "In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him. I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves." This is when I started to question how this war was being brought about. It was never mentioned that we tried to communicate at all even to ask why or was there a misunderstanding, furthering the point is when Ender has this discussion. "So the whole war is because we can't talk to each other." "If the other fellow can't tell you his story, you can never be sure he isn't trying to kill you." "What if we just left them alone?" "Ender, we didn't go to them first, they came to us. If they were going to leave us alone, they could have done it a hundred years ago, before the First Invasion." "Maybe they didn't know we were intelligent life. Maybe—" There has been signs or questionable and unexplainable things that had happened to Ender. This led me to believe that the buggers were actually trying to contact us and bring understanding, we had just buried our heads in our barracks and never thought about anything but revenge. Seems strange for such an evolved time.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”