Shadows Alive

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
HectorVictorious
Launchie
Launchie

Shadows Alive

Postby HectorVictorious » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:45 pm

Since I read this: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5876081/1/Shadows_in_Flight, i have no idea whats going on with the next books in the Ender series. I beleive im understanding that SiF is just a short story. Any info to share on this? So, if thats just a short story, is 'Shadows Alive' going to be a wrap- up novel?
is there any info on 'Shadows Alive'? Enlighten me[/b]

HectorVictorious
Launchie
Launchie

Postby HectorVictorious » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:46 pm

i spelled believe wrong

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:13 pm

Read all the way through this thread and you'll get the latest news on it.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

HectorVictorious
Launchie
Launchie

Postby HectorVictorious » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:30 pm

thanx

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Re: Shadows Alive

Postby Taalcon » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:46 pm

OSC's response to someone asking when the "next book that describes the Descoladores" will be out:

Also, from a few days ago:

ROFLRICK
Launchie
Launchie

Postby ROFLRICK » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:56 pm

Slightly off topic, but I've had trouble finding OSC's Facebook page! Is it active?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:05 pm

Just type in Orson Scott Card. If you don't see it under people, then he must have run out of room under friend requests and it's hidden now? I don't know. He also has one under Orson Scott but that's his personal one for friends and family.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:04 pm

ROFLRICK
Launchie
Launchie

Postby ROFLRICK » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:37 pm

I certainly hope he isn't referring to Shadows Alive specifically! I enjoyed Shadows in Flight for its story and exploration of the last bit of Bean's journey. The length of the novel had nothing to do with my enjoyment for good or ill.

However, I don't think the EnderVerse can be brought to a decent end with just 50,000 words!

If the novel OSC is referring to is an additional Beanie Baby tale, I'd love that!

Mores the better, though! Keep them coming.

Additionally, I find it supremely appropriate that the novels featuring Ender, Carlotta and Cincinattus are Physically smaller than their main series counterparts.

vhincentmiller
Launchie
Launchie

Postby vhincentmiller » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:48 pm

As I have read you post, and the story behind the link, it came to me how important our life is. On how we spend our time here on earth. We can't deny that there are many trials to face in our life but, we need the courage to face the things that goes our way.

Last edited by vhincentmiller on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnnDunn
Soldier
Soldier

Postby UnnDunn » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:27 pm

I'm hoping Shadows Alive won't only focus on the descolador planet. There's also the matter of Peter taking over Starways Congress. And now there's this whole thing with Ender, Cincinnatus and Carlotta.

I was hoping Shadows in Flight would deal with some of those issues, instead of being the ridiculous vignette it wound up being.

ROFLRICK
Launchie
Launchie

Postby ROFLRICK » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:40 pm

I'm very happy that Shadows in Flight dealt squarely with final unanswered questions regarding Bean. Additionally, I liked it for adding a potentially upsetting wrinkle regarding the Hive Queen. Functionally speaking, the novel COULDN'T have dealt with Peter/Starways Congress-- Bean's health issues wouldn't have allowed for this, as he would have died well before Peter II came into being, even traveling at relativistic speeds.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:20 pm

I thought Shadows in Flight was great for what it set out to do, and definitely had the potential to shift out entire paradigm as to how we view the events of the rest of the story.

ROFLRICK
Launchie
Launchie

Postby ROFLRICK » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:08 pm

*S P O I L E R S for S H A D O W S in F L I G H T*

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I read Shadows in Flight literally hours after I finished Shadow of the Giant (for whatever reason, my reading of the Shadow Saga stalled at exactly the thirteenth chapter of Shadow of the Hegemon and in order to prepare for reading Shadows in Flight, I read the rest of SotH, SP and SotG in the week before January 17th) and I feel strongly that the book was perfect for what it was intended to be: a wrap up Bean's life.

With Arkanian Delphiki's story being explored and put to bed in the pages of Ender in Exile and the the cure to Anton's Key being found in SiF the way is paved for a third era of the saga in which Bean's Leguminotes and Ender's Children of the Mind (and his adopted Lusitanians, come to think of it) deal with both the Descolodores and the Starways Congress.

I couldn't be more excited for the future of the Enderverse (its past, too; I don't even have the usual jitters associated with co-authored works. I think Earth Unaware will give valuable insight into the mind and actions of Hyrum Graff and Mazer Rackham.)

Killer Tomato
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Killer Tomato » Sun May 06, 2012 1:25 pm

I was hoping Shadows in Flight would deal with some of those issues, instead of being the ridiculous vignette it wound up being.
Can't agree with you more, But the book pretty much made me belief the Beans Kids will start the Descoladore civilization. Think about it the descolado virus helps the piggies become trees and live longer it would do the same thing for beans kids and help them extend their very short life.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Sun May 06, 2012 7:18 pm

I actually quite enjoyed SiF (I could hardly do otherwise after hanging out for it for so long after its release) and Bean's kids already found an extension but... it would explain how the descoladores seem to make impossible-to-make-without-going-Outside viruses. Why they'd do it though I don't know and remember that if they started it the Descoladores might still have some semblence of English, Fleet Common or Starc as their native tongue.

And welcome to Pweb, KT.
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

AbsolveXenocide
Launchie
Launchie

Postby AbsolveXenocide » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:20 pm

So I'm rereading Xenocide right now (am I the only one who find it almost insufferably philosophical?) and a bit of speculation for Shadows Alive hit me:

Am I the only one who feels like Volescu has something to do with both the Descoladores and the Path OCD trait? If I recall correctly from the Shadows saga, Graff sent him off to a colony to do some research for ColMin/later established Starways Congress. Although the Beanie Babies make a ton of sense for the Descoladores too.

Not sure if that needs to be spoiler-proofed, but better safe than sorry! Either way, I'm very excited for this book!

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:50 am

I had the same idea about Volescu. In fact, when I first came here I set up a thread "Volesku and the Descoladores". (I didn't know how to spell Volescu at that point).

It was to discuss that very possibility and with the same reasons, Volescu was sent into space to do gene research.

And no, you're certainly not the only one to find XN extremely philosophical.
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”