Do you feel that Ender is a great example of a gifted child?

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
jaybeeewon87
Launchie
Launchie

Do you feel that Ender is a great example of a gifted child?

Postby jaybeeewon87 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:12 am

Why or why not?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:33 am

I smell homework...
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

jaybeeewon87
Launchie
Launchie

Postby jaybeeewon87 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:27 am

You would be correct. However it is a question directed towards other readers of their opinion. Personally I feel that Ender is gifted because not only is he intelligent, but he has compassion, and is a great strategist. I believe a gifted child is a child that carries many great qualities, or a child that is great at one thing in particular.

Mitchi
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mitchi » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:50 pm

Yes.

Not only is he very bright and quick thinking, but even among other gifted children, he still comes off as extremely precocious (I kept forgetting they were supposed to be really young, more specifically I kept forgetting that he was about 6-8 for most of it).

On a purely intellectual level, he's obviously gifted. OSC goes to great lengths to constantly bring that up (not paying attention in class because he already knows everything (very early sign of a genius in many cases), being able to create his own security system for his desk, etc).

From other aspects, he's very empathic. He seems to be able to not only say things that help him reach others and calm them down, but remain unpatronizing and truthful throughout. For many people, this is a skill they develop through their lives, so for a child to have that kind of insight is uncommon.

/2cents
-Because you protected this ephemerally floating world by your own hand
Now simply fold your wings and sleep restfully
Be wrapped up in an eternal tranquility, and love through all eternity

Sleep, by this hand of mine that gently watches over you
I remember you laughing, you crying, you angry
I will never forget for all time until my life is exhausted-

-Kimi ni Kioku, Persona 3-

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:27 pm

I think Ender is a gifted child. When I was reading EG, I kept on forgetting that Ender was like 6-8 for the most of it. And he saved the world when he like 11/12 for crying out loud! If thats not gifted, then I dont know what is.

I think gifted kids are one of a kind. and sure enough Ender is one of a kind.
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:34 pm

I think this is a bit of a trick question.

Is Ender gifted? Undoubtedly. However, the question is: Is he a great example of a gifted child.

Now, what is meant by "great example". Firstly, this is a positive description, one which suggests that the actions carried out by Ender in the story are admirable, noble, or worthwhile. Now, it's easy on first consideration to say that this can be said to be true. He is Earth's hero who saves them from the evil alien race.

However, the question is clearly asking for a more in-depth look into what Ender does and why he does it. The book portrays Ender as a ruthless killer from the very beginning. Ender intentionally murders two people in order to save himself from an uncertain fate. Throughout the story, Ender is aware of his ability to manipulate the people around him, and he uses this to inspire devotion to him and rise through the ranks of Battle School extremely quickly. However, when Ender encounters someone who is not willing to bow down and worship him, he orchestrates a situation where he can callously dispose of that person without repercussion.

When it comes to the Buggers Ender may be free of responsibility for being tricked into the leading the annihilation of an entire sentient species, but he himself admits that had he known, he would have taken the same actions anyway. And can Ender be viewed as a great example of anything, when even within the Enderverse he is regarded as monster for what he did (in the sequels)?

Go with this answer, feel free to expand on my ideas.

ptr.arkanian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ptr.arkanian » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:35 pm

If by gifted child you mean child prodigy, then yes. Ender is a great example of a child over-achiever.
But is he happy with that? Or is he even a child?
No.
Ender never wanted to be the gifted child. He hated when the other kids in Battleschool looked up to him as a teacher instead of a friend. He never got the chance to be a child, so in that sense, you cannot call him a gifted child.
He has a gifted mind, but once Battleschool sinks in, there is nothing child-like about Ender.
Share this dragon
If you do
Lucky end for
them and you
-Petra Arkanian

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:54 pm

I agree with all points that have been made thus far. I know it's bad and kinda 'against the law' to just say ' I agree' or vice versa, I don't know how else to explain my thoughts in anyway different from your own.
When in need, you must be the savior to your kind. When not, you must conquer and take charge.

EnderX
Launchie
Launchie

Postby EnderX » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:22 pm

I think he his a great example! Its already been said that the two deaths made by his hands were not intentional and he was merely trying to prevent the same situation happening over and over again. But to doubt or go against him not being a great example is hard to do when there is no comparison with anyone else. By the standards that Ender has set in his life I believe he is the definition of a great example of a child genious/ prodigy.
"Real respect takes longer than official respect."

-Ender's Game-

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Re: Do you feel that Ender is a great example of a gifted ch

Postby TerresaWiggin » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:05 pm

I am certain that Ender is gifted. The only question is whether he is a child.
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

Sparrow
Launchie
Launchie

Re: Do you feel that Ender is a great example of a gifted ch

Postby Sparrow » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:36 am

Hah! What a Card-ian thing to say terresa ^.^
For three years I had roses, and apologized to no one.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”