Which character most annoys you?

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
lennyathena
Launchie
Launchie

Which character most annoys you?

Postby lennyathena » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:41 pm

for me, it was randi. her totally twisted views on achilles and her son really disgusted me. han qing-jao and her super-devoutness was a close second.

you guys?

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:26 pm

Virlomi! she is acting like a godess. i mean in shadow if the hegemon, shes kinda ok. by the next one, she gets annoying. like what happend to the page, but if itsher? :!: now everytime see her name in any of the books, i skip the page. then i missed something important i reread the page.
Last edited by spanish_rockette on Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:38 pm

It's been a while since I read through the Speaker set but I remember always being annoyed with Novinha. All the time.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:57 pm

Novinha is next to virlomi on my list
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

ptr.arkanian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ptr.arkanian » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:00 pm

For me its Allesandra and her mother in Ender in Exile. like, what the hell did they have to do with anything. Without their stupid part in the story, that book could've flowed better and not been so irritatingly stereotyped. It did nothing for the story except hurt it.
Share this dragon
If you do
Lucky end for
them and you
-Petra Arkanian

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:53 pm

why? to me ender in exlie is about ender growing up, and going through what every teenage boy throughs. and the thing that ties ender's game to speaker for the dead. so i think alessandra and her mother are kinda important cause i cant see them not in it but not so much. but i do agree with DORABELLA being annoying.

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:53 am

I'd bet Alessandra and her mother exist because OSC realized that simply having Ender out maneuver the Captain for the governorship would have been boring and exactly what we expected, given that it's a foregone conclusion, but adding in those two brought a bit of character drama to the events. Maybe he also felt the need to show the kind of situations that would compel people to make risky journeys to the colonies, but the whole crazy-ass grandmother thing is a bit too much for that.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

lennyathena
Launchie
Launchie

Postby lennyathena » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:56 pm

i remember reading that it was from a short story osc had written that he put in exile later. but i kind of liked the story, the little half-romance with alessandra made ender's life a little more "normal" and it was interesting to see how dorabella was trying to manipulate things.

dorabella didn't annoy me so much as amuse me, but novinha did. she's trying to play the "innocent-girl-who's-lost-everything" but she's so... aggh.

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:05 am

i agree with Janus about the crazy-ass grandmother. too much. and dorabella is annoy and amusing in way. but virlomi and novinha are still annoying for different reasons.
Last edited by spanish_rockette on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:52 pm

No one else wanted to smack Qing-Jao upside the head?
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:25 pm

i skipped those pages because they got boring, but then i went back and i read some of them.

perspicacious.emperor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby perspicacious.emperor » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:12 pm

Pretty much all the girls annoyed me.

Except Petra.

lennyathena
Launchie
Launchie

Postby lennyathena » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:25 pm

No one else wanted to smack Qing-Jao upside the head?
but of course! :D

while i was reading i was intrinsically shouting "QING-JAO GET A BRAIN WILL YOU?" i don't think she heard me though.

1chapelcredit
Launchie
Launchie

Postby 1chapelcredit » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:08 pm

Novinha, Quara and Qing-jao were all almost unbearably horrible and, for that matter, quite one-dimensional in their awfulness. If I didn't know better, after reading Xenocide and Children of the Mind I would assume that OSC must really, really hate women.

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:17 pm

I found Quara really amusing. To me, Quara is the older sister I'll never have.

Psudo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Psudo » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:49 pm

I was fascinated with Qing-Jao. It's a little cruel for you to condemn her as "horrible" for the brainwashing she endured from a genetic alteration imposed upon her by a tyrannous government. You might as well call victims of Stockholm Syndrome "traitors," as if they had some choice in the matter.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:28 pm

Oh yes, she was certainly a victim, and pitiable, but still frustrating in her blindness.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Psudo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Psudo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:26 am

Oh yes, she was certainly a victim, and pitiable, but still frustrating in her blindness.
Aren't we all.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:00 am

Some A LOT more than others.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:00 pm

Re-reading Speaker, I had forgotten how cute Quara was before she grew up and became bitchy.
Quara: "You only lasted a couple of days. Everybody hates you now."
Ender: "Do you?"
Quara: "Oh, yes. I hated you first of all. Except maybe Quim... You want to see me do arithmetic?"
And later:
Quara: "Is the Speaker our father now?"

:lol:
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:44 pm

That is true. Quara was really cute. And when I read Xenocide and Children of the Mind, I was like, "What happened to the cute little girl?" But she was amusing at the same time.

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:57 pm

For me, I disliked Virlomi, Randi, and Novinha. Don't know why I had to say that, because you guys have already hit on the reasons not to like them. But I felt the need to state my opinion.

I didn't think Qing-Jao was that bad. She did have a (was it genetic?) condition. However, I think she went slightly mad in Xenocide, so if anything, I pitied her.

Quara wasn't so bad either. She wasn't as nice as her other family members (so yeah, she was kind of bitchy), but she had reasons too.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Glaucon
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Glaucon » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:23 am

Wow, I never thought about how most of the "annoying" characters are women. And the most annoying male in EG is named "pretty boy." OSC is like the Christopher Nolan of novelists.

... I would therefore like to nominate Nolan to front the EG/ES movie. ha
-Glaucon

TO117
Launchie
Launchie

I hate Novinha.

Postby TO117 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:04 am

Novinha. She was so freakin mean to Ender! He didnt deserve any of it. He was doing the best he could. I can understand people saying Han-Qing Jao, but I discount her because she was twisted by her religion.

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:43 pm

Novinha would not be that if way if her life was different.
it all started when her parents died when she was like 5, I really dont remember what age she was when they died, i havent read the book in a while.

JeffersonSteelflex
Launchie
Launchie

Postby JeffersonSteelflex » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:09 am

Ever time I read through'em I get sick of reading about Plikt. Could've filled out more about Olhado or Grego or even Jakt, she was so far in the background.

MisterQwerty
Launchie
Launchie

Postby MisterQwerty » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:35 pm

The only character that really annoyed me was Randi.
</spoilers>

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:49 pm

Plikt, I feel never had an importance in the book, just because she was in the background. So I dont really get annoyed by her

MisterQwerty
Launchie
Launchie

Postby MisterQwerty » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:22 pm

Okay, Quing-Jao was also unbearable.
</spoilers>

Locke Delphiki
Launchie
Launchie

Ender

Postby Locke Delphiki » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:53 pm

Is it weird to say ender annoyed me most? I mean I care about the character and I like him, and his progression really spoke to me. At the end however, both in ender's game, and Ender in exile how he emotionally divorces his friends for no other reason than. "He's moved on" really irked me, Alai specifically. We watch a relationship evolve the entire book, a deep bond being formed, and then it just fizzles still doesn't sit well with me.
Share this dragon. If you do, lucky end for them and you.

Mitchi
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mitchi » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:35 am

Novinha, hands down. she's just so irritating, and a giant walking pity party. mother of the year, amirite?

also Quara. for obvious reasons already mentioned. Quim in SftD also.annoyed the crap out of me, but I liked that he mellowed out.
-Because you protected this ephemerally floating world by your own hand
Now simply fold your wings and sleep restfully
Be wrapped up in an eternal tranquility, and love through all eternity

Sleep, by this hand of mine that gently watches over you
I remember you laughing, you crying, you angry
I will never forget for all time until my life is exhausted-

-Kimi ni Kioku, Persona 3-

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:46 pm

Uhhh, have you ever heard that people grow apart??

and I was never annoyed of Quim, because he was i guess religious or something.

waffleman
Soldier
Soldier

Postby waffleman » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:51 pm

Vrilomi and Randi definitely. It just makes me annoyed at their stupidity/ignorance.
I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them.
Pablo Picasso

Locke Delphiki
Launchie
Launchie

Grow apart

Postby Locke Delphiki » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:04 pm

Grow apart sure, after long stretches of time, and growth, this was a few months, a year tops they were away from one another (Talking everyone not just Alai) and he's visibly excited to hear from them. however I'm not saying I don't understand that after all he went through he might feel that way, It just annoyed me that it went down that way
Share this dragon. If you do, lucky end for them and you.

Kill Devil Hill
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Kill Devil Hill » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:55 am

I could never be annoyed by Ender. D: He's one of my all-time favourite characters of ANY books (behind only Atticus Finch and Holden Caulfield). Then again, I have friends that hate Jay Gatsby, so anything's possible.

I would say Novinha (particularly in Xenocide and Children of the Mind; she had a good excuse in Speaker for the Dead) and Randi. Especially Randi. Reading the passages about her was downright excruciating. I've never been so pissed at a character.

I liked Dorabella and Alessandra, but their storyline wasn't necessary. I loved EiE, and it's one of my favourites in the series, but Alessandra and Dorabella were certainly not the reason.

I have sympathy for Qing Jao (especially at the beginning of Xenocide) and Virlomi. Virlomi did become a bit of a megalomaniac, but she had good intentions at the outset. Anybody in her position could have ended up that way.

I'm surprised nobody said Zeck was annoying. I get he was abused and the whole nine yards, but if I hadn't known that and if I was Dink Meeker, that boy would've been dead to me.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”