How were u introduced to EG?

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:32 am

I had to read it for my English 1 class. I was the only one who was seriously tempted to keep reading instead of stopping at the end of every three chapters so we could do stupid assignments about it.
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

perspicacious.emperor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby perspicacious.emperor » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:01 pm

^ I applaud your teacher.

I'm trying to turn EG into a "cult" among my friends. I've already made my "wife" incredibly interested with my constant obsession. I have a dream, and that dream is to shout kuso at oomays, and they will say "WTF".

Glass
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Glass » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:42 am

Ender's Game was on my summer reading list before Freshman year of highschool

Ender's Shadow was on the summer reading list before my Sophmore year of highschool

Someone at my high school is a big Orson Scott Card fan apparently.
"...there silence suggested that they didn't want to talk about what they didn't want to talk about."

-from Teacher's Pest

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:59 am

Hahaha probably every adult at you high school. My teachers have little profile things outside their door saying Favorite Book in High School: Ender's Game
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

Larka
Launchie
Launchie

Re: Hmmm

Postby Larka » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:20 pm

Anyway.. How did I find out about Ender's Game? Well, I've always been a voracious reader... Reading in class, at home, whenever I can. In 5th grade, school was ending and my teacher, Mrs. Taylor, asked me if this book that she found on the floor was mine. It was called... Ender's Game. I'd never heard of the book, and I asked around. By the end of the day, no one had claimed, so by school rules it was mine.
I started reading it on the ride home... I didn't leave the car till I had finished (it was pretty late). I then went to sleep, woke up, and started to read it again. And again. And again. Eventually, I showed it to my brother. Ender's Game had that quality, that most good books have, in that you don't even notice that you are reading because you are so sucked into the story. We must have read the book a dozen times each that week. We walked to the library and checked out Speaker for the Dead. Now, this was 5th grade... Speaker was a bit advanced for me (and all modesty aside, that's saying something). I didn't like it as much, and we decided that Ender's Game must have been Orson Scott Card's best work.
We read it every few weeks for a year or two, forcing friends to read it too. After a while, one of my brother's friends asked if we liked Ender's Shadow.
It started all over again.
Now, years have passed... We've learned to appreciate Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and the rest... Though Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow are still far better, in my opinion. That copy of Ender's Game has become our lending-copy, and is lent out to friends while we keep a copy at home for us (though both copies are currently out, since my brother has our copy at his school). A good 6 months had gone without and OSC... Then I reread Ender's Shadow...
I had forgotten how much fun reading can be. I'm currently about halfway through Songmaster (for the dozenth time). We own most of OSC's works, and have read most many times (though Hart's Hope and Treasure Box.... Only once...)
Ender's Game... I've borrowed so many of its sayings... I can't imagine life without Card. His ideas, his arguments...
I also found out about EG in 5th grade.
I saw it on the book shelf and because I couldn't take it home, I had to read it little by little in school.
I read Speaker for the Dead , but I think I stopped at Xenocide at that time because it got too complicated for me

It wasn't until Junior High that I found the rest of the series and then I was hooked... every once in a while, I go a long period without reading any of OSC's books and then I suddenly reread the Ender's Game and Shadow series all over again

Rodaka
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Rodaka » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:36 pm

How did I get into Ender's Game? Well, I got this sudden burst of interest in Psychology, and I asked my friend of any books he knew of that were Psychological. He mentioned Ender's Game. Another kid didn't think it was anything more then a Sci-Fi, and I questioned it, so I decided I would get it, and I would read it.

I'd heard of it for quite a while, the name getting thrown around here and there, but I'd never had the chance to pick one up, but when I read it, I really read it. I hadn't read so much in such a long time, I loved every minute of it. Eventually I read through the entire series, along with the whole Ender's Shadow series, and now Ender in Exile as well. Just waiting for Orson Scott Card to get Shadow in Flight written!

That was all in the past 4 or 5 months. Speaker for the Dead is now my favorite book, as the childishness(Yeah yeah, not to a very large degree, but, it /is/ kinda childish.. in a way) of Ender's Game didn't quite appeal to me as much as Speaker for the Dead's amazing comeback for Ender.
"I once heard a tale of a man who split himself in two. The one part never changed at all; the other grew and grew. The changeless part was always true, the growing part was always new, and I wondered, when the tale was through, which part was me, and which was you."

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:29 pm

Well I'm glad that both of you eventually finished the whole series. they're all good books.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Crazy Tom: C Toon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:10 pm

One of my classmates introduced the book to me and another friend, and after we were hooked, we showed our old English teacher, who also liked them, and now we are trying to get the entire staff of our school to try them in hopes of the series eventually becoming required reading. :D
Under the spreading chesnut tree
I sold you and you sold me:
There they lie, and here lie we
Under the spreading chesnut tree.

^^Graff
Launchie
Launchie

Postby ^^Graff » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:28 am

A co-worker recommended it, I bought it from Audible.com it is now one of my all time favorite books

Psudo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Psudo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:24 pm

I don't remember reading Ender's Game for the first time. I remember I hadn't heard of it yet in 6th grade, and reading crazy amounts during 7th and 8th, and finishing the series in 9th grade. Xenocide just amazed me. I would repeat some chapters just to relive the cool or absorb complex ideas, something I'd never done before (and rarely since). So... somewhere in there.

For a while, I read a novel a day average, mostly Nancy Drew and some Issac Asimov and choose your own adventure books. Pulpy stuff rather than deep stuff, for the most part. After the Ender series, I started reading harder, heavier stuff: Dune, Atlas Shrugged, Dracula, Sherlock Holmes. Man, I wish I could have that kind of spare time again, though now I'd use it to read US history (colonial and revolution especially).
There was this reading contest going on for a few weeks; teams of 4 would read a list of 16 books, divy them up how they wanted, and then there would be a contest between the teams to answer questions from the books.
Man, I wish they had a contest like that when I was going to school!

luzagodom
Launchie
Launchie

Postby luzagodom » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:12 am

good posting ,great job,pls continue

Framling
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Framling » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:07 pm

I've been working my way the Enderverse since Aprilish, I've read both the shadow series and the Ender quartet, along with first meetings I finished SOTG about an hour ago (my favorite in the shadow series BTW) I am starting EIE later tonight. This is my first post here.
I bought a hilarious book called The Geeks Guide To World Domination Be afraid Beautiful People. In this book you learn to do things such as
# Build a laser beam
# Clone your pet
# Exorcise demons
# Grasp the theory of relativity
# Kick ass with sweet martial-arts moves
# Master the Ocarina of Time
# Pimp your cubicle
# Quote He-Man and Che Guevara
# Write your name in Elvish

In this book they had a list of the 10 geekiest books of all time And Ender's Game was the only one that I hadn't read (Dune, Tolken that kind of stuff but I make no apologies for my geekhood) So I bought it and loved it from the very first line.
I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves.

Psudo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Psudo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:09 pm

I make no apologies for my geekhood
[...]
I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves.
Me too × 2

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:27 pm

in 6th grade, my advisory teacher, Mr Wiggins asked us which book we would like to read. we really didnt cared. but 1 did he told us to picked Ender's Game cuz it sounds intresting becuz of the preview Mr Wiggins read to us. i thought it was the most boring thing i ever read. and i didnt wanted to do the work of trying to guess. becuz this other book that sounded intresting. but i went for with EG. then more into the book, i started to like it. its be about a year, and i am still reading the serires. (it took 7 months to finish the book.) :roll:
Last edited by spanish_rockette on Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

Natalis
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Natalis » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:57 pm

^And his name is Mr. Wiggins! Lol that's something worth mentioning.

I'm an internet educated person on the matters of culture. So I have this forum I've been attending for years, lots of people, lots of lessons, and in their favorite books thread, Ender's Game is continuously mentioned. After researching quite a while, I got obsessed with it. Yes, even before reading.

Unfortunately the book was never translated into Indonesian. My hope receded. A few weeks later I found out a website full of thousands of soft copy books to be given for free under a condition. The entire Enderverse included. I rejoiced, I asked for them, and here I am.

Btw I kind of envy you guys who had a class entirely devoted to discussing a book, we don't have it here. In our language classes we read stories that are totally unrelated to our life or extremely lame it hurts.

jake11124
Launchie
Launchie

Postby jake11124 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:42 am

I read EG at the beginning of this summer for summer reading before 9th grade. Then I read the shadow series, then EIE, the SotD, and I'm in the middle of Xenocide. I actually read the books in chronological order which is kind of hard in this time traveling universe. I read EG, ES, and SotH in one sitting each over the course of three days. I need to go finish Xenocide now, Bye.

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:49 pm

i know right! :D i thogut it was funny, until he made bad jokes cuz this kid was named andrew. then he just made it really bad.
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

thero009
Launchie
Launchie

How I was introduced to Enders Game

Postby thero009 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:18 pm

I too was assigned to read Enders Game for a college class. Before I started the book, I was shopping at a bookstore during the summer and was browsing the "summer reading list" table that had all kinds of classic novels on it, and I noticed that Enders Game was on the table too. I had never heard of the book before I found it on my book list for class, and here I am at a bookstore and its laying on a table surrounded by dozens of novels that I've read multiple times.

Anyways, I LOVE Enders Game, and fully intend on reading the rest of OSC's novels when I complete my college coursework.

I also can't really figure out what I was so drawn to in the novel, but I can say that I may have been late to work a few times because I just could not put down this book. I think it might have been that I found it easy to relate to Ender, in the sense that I had to act older as a child. I also think many of us can relate to the struggles of bullying, maybe not in the sense of someone threatening our lives, but I think its safe to say that most of us were subjected to bullying as children. Each one of us deals with bullying situations differently, and in Enders case, he seemed to keep fairly good judgment on what was right and wrong, but I think that OSC was trying to touch on our abilities as humans to decipher between right and wrong, and how we can easily become irrational and reckless (eg. Peter) with our decisions based on our early life experiences (eg. abuse, jealousy, etc.).

I also liked the parallel's between sibling rivalry and love, with the opposite relationships between Ender and Peter, and Ender and Valentine. I wonder if OSC choose to name Enders sister Valentine as a kind of prophesy of who her character is?

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Re: How were u introduced to EG?

Postby TerresaWiggin » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:25 pm

I read Enders game when I ran out of library books some random weekend in 5th grade, pulled it off my dads book shelf. Great read and it didn't really sole the library problem since I finished it in one sitting. I didn't read the rest of the series until 7th grade when I yet again stole one from my dad then checked the rest out of the library and finished them in a week or so.
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

BobbyOodle
Launchie
Launchie
First Joined: 08 Jul 2013

Postby BobbyOodle » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:08 pm

I was reading this series by Stephen King "The Dark Tower" and I was getting super into and loved it a lot. I made my friend Caleb pick it up so that I could talk with someone about it. I went back to read it over again with Caleb, but he insisted that I read his favorite series. I wasn't so convinced, so he told me about *Ender's Game first book SPOILER* how Ender brutally killed Stilson and cried about it and I was sold on the idea. So I finished that first book and picked up Ender's Game and now the series engulfs my life and thoughts.
Salaam, my friend.

Jaxn
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Jaxn » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:26 pm

I saw a movie trailer and wanted to know about the back story and what it was based on. My wife and I are avid fans of science fiction and action movies with a good story, well directed with good casting and last of all..........plenty of gratuitous violence.

To further qualify my love of the genre, I have been reading this material since I was a small child and I'm 62 years old now. I'm also an avid sport bike rider/technician (retired) and a musical hack with a home studio. :hatsoff:

tauist
Launchie
Launchie

Postby tauist » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:26 pm

I was introduced to EG one day when I complained to my older brother that I had no more good books to read (Percy Jackson gets boring after so many times...) and he said that Ender's Game was a good book. So I took it to school the next day and was tormented for eight hours because I started reading in the morning and was absolutely dying to read the whole thing.

Then I finished it in about two days. A little slower than usual, but worth every single moment. I had no idea why my brother waited so long to tell me about this book.

Gabriel6
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Gabriel6 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:17 am

Thanks for the post!

Hegemon816
Launchie
Launchie
First Joined: 23 Mar 2014

Postby Hegemon816 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:44 am

After swim practice, a couple of high schoolers(i was in 8th grade) were talking about the movie coming out and how they thought it wouldn't live up to the book. I was reading hunger games at the time and was almost finished so i needed a new book series. I looked it up and was very interested. I began with EG and then Speaker for the dead. I stopped halfway in speaker cuz i left it at school over break and read enders shadow instead. I then hopped around shadow saga and ender. This is the order i have been going in
1 enders game
2 speaker for the dead 1/2
3 enders shadow
2 speaker for the dead 2/2
4 shadow of the hegemon
5 xenocide
6 children of the mind
7 shadow puppets
8 shadow of the giant

I am going to finish in this order
9 ender in exile
10 shadows in flight
11 shadows alive
12/13/14 earth saga
-Stranger

simple_man
Launchie
Launchie

Postby simple_man » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:22 pm

When I was introduced to EG my teacher gave it to me to read as part of the required reading in 8th grade. So my dumb self decided to be a rebel and not read past the first two chapters. the price of trying to be cool I suppose. the thing was over the years those two chapters haunted me. my mind drifted back to the book in my sleep and sometimes when I day dreamed. just those two chapters inspired me stand up to douche bags that bullied others (I didn't take care of them the way Ender Wiggin did though). eventually when I described the first two chapters to my English teacher ( because I had long forgotten the title by my junior year) she new it immediately. the next day I went to the library and checked it out. I probably read that book continuously for the next few days; only stopping to not crash on my bike and when the teachers threatened to send me to detention or take it away. I finished the EG series over the next few months (the library only had a few copies and they were always out and had to be put on the waiting list).

I'm reading the shadow series now and I cant keep my socks on!

FatherDamien
Launchie
Launchie

Postby FatherDamien » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:33 pm

I'm new here so first off hello everyone.

I HATED reading when I was in school. And it wasn't until 9th (1994) grade that I was finally forced to take a class that required a lot of reading. I had three classes to choose form. American Lit.......Greatest works of the 19th Century........or Sci-Fi.

Being a fan of Star Wars and Star Trek guess what I chose.

The first book on the list was 1985. Man was that a hard book to get through for me. I remember thinking...... If the rest of the books on this list are all this hard to read I'm in big trouble here......

Then Mr. Parson handed me Ender's Game. I couldn't put it down. I had to have more. Needed to know what happen to Ender next. So, I found out the order of the books and bought them all. I lived in Houston, Alaska. I had to drive to Wasilla and Anchorage to find them all at several book stores.

Once in hand I read the whole series in the time it took the class to read Ender's Game, Jurassic Park and The Sphere. I read all of those as well to keep up with the class.

Mr. Parson's got so frustrated with me. On one hand he was happy that I was finally reading. On the other; here I am in class reading all the rest of the series and the book I'm suppose to be reading is in my bag. He would ask me questions about the chapter in the book I'm suppose to be reading and it was rare I couldn't answer it. So, he gave up and let me read what I wanted in class, so long as I didn't fall below and A in daily work and tests. I also had to participate in class debates on the book everyone else was reading.

Since then I have read the series many times. I just Found and started Earth Unaware and Earth Afire. Trying to find the comic series as well. I want to own all the books in hardback. Getting close.

I'm 35 now and still read the series at least once a year.

xDaNx
Launchie
Launchie

Postby xDaNx » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:19 pm

Well, my story's not that interesting, but pretty simple and clear. I heard about Ender's Game a long time ago but was never interested on Sci-fi. One day I was bored and got the not so long released film. I found it pretty interesting. So, one day I was looking for books about writing, and found out it's author made a really interesting book about writing fantasy and sci-fi (yeah I'm on my own way to be a writer). I'm more of the fantasy-type, both reader and writer (most of my sci-fi comes from TV and films, like star wars, never really liked star trek). But I said "why not?". So I really loved that book, and the way Card writes. By that time, didn't even know Ender's Game was part of a saga.

Then one day I wanted to read more, just to enhance my own writing skills, learn new ways to express things and so on, and I said "I'll give it a try with Ender's Game, to see how far is the film from the book". Got surprised after reading it, it wasn't such a bad adaptation (in comparison with others), even when some important facts were changed or just ignored. Then I ended up checking the list of all books, and again, it was a "why not? I'll give it a try to the second book and see if it's also interesting".

It's been a few months since then, and I've read all Ender's Saga and I'm starting the forth book of Shadow's Saga. So as you can imagine, I really liked it. And I plan to read at least both sagas to the end, and then consider if I read the side-stories and short stories. This is a really interesting concept, the way we can feel like if we were inside the character's head. Some of those and what I've learned from his book precisely about writing are the kind of things that I needed to see to understand what gives characters a good background and what makes the story way more deep and intense.

I thank God that Ender's Saga was translated to my native language (spanish), 'cause even when I mostly understand the english and I could read them that way (I've read a few english books that were not translated yet), it would be pretty hard to find them in that language here. Anyway, sorry about my english, 'cause as I said, it isn't my native language and I'm still learning lol

Clockwork
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Clockwork » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:28 am

By a user named Cognizant on the MFN forums (Matrix Fans dot net), back in 2003-2004.

I started with reading the (at the time) 5 novels translated in Dutch ["De taktiek van Ender" (EG), "Spreker voor de Doden" (SftD), "Xenocide" (X), "Kinderen van de Geest" (CotM), "Enders Schaduw" (ES)], which are still the only translated novels in the series.
In addition, I also read all the original novels up until Shadow Puppets.

It was only afterwards, after I accidentally came across a seocnd-hand translated version of CotM, I gradually started "collecting" all the novels.

Actually, I recently bought (second hand) a translated version of Far Horizons, in which the translated version of Investment Counselor is not that consistent with the novel transaltions, which is a pity.

For example: the term "Buggers", which is translated to "Kruiperds" ("Crawlers/Creepers") in the 5 novels, is NOT translated in "De Beleggingsadviseur".

Extra note on the Dutch translation: "Bean" is translated to "Pea", which is a good thing, as the term "beans" is, in Dutch, generally referred to, not as the 'individual' seeds (like you can buy them in cans), but as the legume containing the 'infant' seeds (it is the way they are generally served in dishes in Belgium).

Currently, I practically own a copy of each publication in the Enderverse, including Ender's World and the Authorized Ender Companion... I also recently tried to improve the chronology chart on wikipedia, with inclusion of all publications such as comics, the audioplay and the film...

Cheers...

DescoladoreEnderII
Launchie
Launchie

Postby DescoladoreEnderII » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:56 pm

I first read EG when my 5th grade teacher forced us to each read one sci-fi book in a giant pile of other books, I chose EG and was immediately hooked. At the end of the year, I asked my teacher if I could borrow SFTD, which she also had, and she told me to keep it. I went on buying every other book in the series until they took up a significant amount of my bookshelf.

tofuriku
Launchie
Launchie

Postby tofuriku » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:07 pm

I saw a comic about it on xkcd and searched up the book ;p
(xkcd sucks though)
Stars love clear sky- they shine ^^

DescoladoreEnderII
Launchie
Launchie

Postby DescoladoreEnderII » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:33 pm

(xkcd sucks though)
I take offense to that.
"And then he did. And then he died."
Shadows in Flight

tofuriku
Launchie
Launchie

Postby tofuriku » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:37 pm

(xkcd sucks though)
I take offense to that.
hahaha should have kept that to myself sorry
Stars love clear sky- they shine ^^

Babygirl100000
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Babygirl100000 » Thu May 05, 2016 6:29 pm

I was introduced to it through school. It was one of the books we could read for summer reading going into 9th grade. I had been wanting to read it for a long time but never got around to it until then. I fell in love with it the moment I started reading it and collected the whole series. Will never forget the Ender's Game series.
Thirds are the future. Let no one tell you different.

JonYahraus
Launchie
Launchie

Postby JonYahraus » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:43 pm

It was simply dumb luck. My dad went to the library, and when he got back, he had a few books with him. Two were for me. One, of course, was Ender's Game. As soon as I picked it up, I did not put it down unless I had to. I even covertly found the other books online...

Ender's_Disciple
Launchie
Launchie
First Joined: 22 Oct 2017

Postby Ender's_Disciple » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:47 am

I saw a commercial for the movie a while back, and then later saw the book in the school library. It was love at first chapter :love:
"He signed it, as he had signed the others, Speaker for the Dead"

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”