Hello All

Welcome to Pweb, FAQs, Introductions and Limeaid
chuck96
Launchie
Launchie
First Joined: 16 Apr 2012

Hello All

Postby chuck96 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:45 pm

Enlisting Today …. Just finished Shadow Puppets and found the link to this site in the author’s end notes.

I read Ender’s Game for the 1st time in 1988 while waiting inline overnight to buy tickets to a Who concert… (yes we used to do that) … I was 18 at the time.

I remember thinking that night that this is one of the best books I have ever read – can’t wait till the movie comes out (the copy I held in my hands had the “soon to be a major motion picture” tag on it even then…)

Many years later… this is still one of the best pieces of fiction I have ever read … In my humble opinion it holds its own against the seminal SciFi/Fantasy publications (LOTR, Dune, 2001, etc) and puts the current “teen fiction” (<cough cough> twilightlighteningthiefhungergames) genre to shame. People used to just write good stories – not write to niche markets as dictated by editors… but I digress ;-)

Very much looking forward to seeing Ender’s Game on the big screen … I sincerely hope it is a true interpretation and not a reactive Hunger Games “clone”…
"Your hands can't hit what your eyes can't see..."

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Re: Hello All

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:10 am

Welcome to Pweb! Most of the excitement happens over in Milagre, so feel free to jump in anywhere.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:09 am

Welcome aboard, it's great to have you here!

puts the current “teen fiction” (<cough cough> twilightlighteningthiefhungergames) genre to shame. People used to just write good stories – not write to niche markets as dictated by editors… but I digress ;-)

Although I think a book should be written well, regardless of who the intended audience is and don't disagree that an alarmingly large percentage of YA books now seem to be pandering to the romantic triangle-trilogy-dystopian/paranormal theme because that's what is popular, it's not quite accurate to hold EG up against current YA because EG was written for adults and just so happened to pick up a large, younger audience.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:58 am

Ho Chuck!
I say that any book can't be held up against any other book of a different genre. You cannot say "Which is better, Star Wars or Lord of the Rings?" Besides being a case of sci-fi vs. fantasy, the whole dynamic between characters and the premiss that the stories are based on are COMPLETELY different. It is impossible to judge unless the characters are obviously subhuman and the relationships shallow, i.e. not very well constructed personalities.
As it is, the Ender Saga (I believe this includes the Shadow books) remains my absolute favourite series ever. If I ever find a better one I will steal a hat and eat it because I don't have one of my own.
The characters are so well done its impossible not to care about them and this is what an author should aim for. To make you cry when a character dies because you are so immersed in the story it feels real. I fell in love with Bean and I'll be sorry when he goes.

Good day and hello again to you.
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

chuck96
Launchie
Launchie
First Joined: 16 Apr 2012

Postby chuck96 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:45 pm

I disagree - I think you can compare books from diferent genres... for example.

The Lord of the Rings is a much better book than ... anything written by Danielle Steele... any one care to debate ;-)
"Your hands can't hit what your eyes can't see..."

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Postby Taalcon » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:25 pm

Welcome aboard!

Return to “The Foyer: Welcome to The Philotic Web Community!”