Things that I hate

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:09 am

the 405. it sucks. especially between the 90 and the 10 where they are doing construction. this is only three miles long but they have been working on it for three years now. pathetic. They have a tiny crew work on one random section of the stretch a day then they switch randomly to another section, so no day to day progress if visible. great way for the construction crew to stretch out their contract as long as they possibly can.

People who think driving faster than the speed limit is a great idea when there's a red light and a line of ten cars stopped at the light only 100 ft ahead. or people who tailgate you when you're simply coasting up (rather than accelerating into) to said red light and line of stopped cars
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:33 am

That reminded me: route. f******. 66. It's a highway that has a stretch that's only two lanes wide, for nothing but political reasons. Guess where all the traffic builds up every single day as half of DC commutes to work?
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:33 am

Which reminds me: Fairfax ave. I take it to work. it should theoretically be four lanes all the way. But NOOOOOO... it has to be two lanes in portions because of a stupid five block long residential district, followed by two blocks of apartments followed by two blocks of little ethiopia restaurants/shops. And they can't give up street parking in those sections for political reasons. Nevermind that it's a major thoroughfare that gets ludicrously clogged due to the narrowing, widening and narrowing and widening it goes through. ugh.

Darth Petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Some call me... Tim

Postby Darth Petra » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:22 am

I hate:
Willfull ignorance.
"Death is the only serious preoccupation in life."
- The Count of Monte Cristo

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:52 am

People who think driving faster than the speed limit is a great idea when there's a red light and a line of ten cars stopped at the light only 100 ft ahead. or people who tailgate you when you're simply coasting up (rather than accelerating into) to said red light and line of stopped cars
Didn't you know that if you drive faster, the light changes green faster?
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:28 pm

I know my route to and from work so well that I know which lights are on sensors (and thus doesn't matter if I speed or drive 5mph under because it's random whether a green light will change or not) and which are on timers (and thus will malevolently change to yellow while I still have plenty of time to stop safely but am close enough to really want to make it through the light).

I hate lights that are on timers and having to wait at an empty intersection for the light to turn back.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:21 pm

My self-image.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:04 pm

Computer viruses. That somehow managed to get onto my jump drive and delete my articles about William James and the CSES.

Thank God it didn't delete my dissertation.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:48 pm

Eeeee! Thank God, indeed!
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:51 pm

You just have to remember the three laws of data security: backup, backup and backup.

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Virlomi » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:18 am

I know I'm going to get blasted out of the water for this, but I'm being completely sincere, currently.

Boys.

Poke
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Poke » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:49 am

I loathe, I ABHOR anything relating to business - marketing, management, economics, finance, and lastly, my major, accountancy. I've thought about it, and I think I'd rather be physically tortured than be in the College of Business. Any physical pain would be better than this long, slow, 5 year mental and emotional torture.

In fact, I'm on this forum right now, posting random crap instead of working on my assurance & controls project :wink:

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:01 am

Family Guy. Robot Chicken. Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law. Aqua Teen Hunger Force. And other shows of the sort. Just having it on in the same room I'm in makes me feel like I'm getting dumber.

Not to say that they don't have good jokes. I never saw it, but I was told once how Robot Chicken had a few seconds of a recognizably-scarfed individual standing on a baseball base, with no words, and almost no movement. I thought it was clever once I finally got it. But to sit through all of that s*** for such little good comedy.... bargh.

dgf hhw

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:14 am

South Park being all awesome and pointedly satirical and f****** owning, and then just forgetting it all and going for the gross out gag or the absurdist progression. Sometimes it really works but often it's just really frustrating to see a show start great and then just poot out.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:03 pm

Daylight Savings Time

I used to get to witness the night. Now it's daylight when I drive to work and if i have OT (which I have) it's daylight when I drive home.
no more darkness (my old friend). I want to talk to him again. but he's gone away, I have hope I'll get to reacquaint myself tonight though.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:22 am

Websites that look look like they were designed by a teenager in '96.
The enemy's fly is down.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:41 am

South Park being all awesome and pointedly satirical and f****** owning, and then just forgetting it all and going for the gross out gag or the absurdist progression. Sometimes it really works but often it's just really frustrating to see a show start great and then just poot out.
Agreed. The latest episode was also very odd... not even trying to gross the audience out, but just not particular funny/engaging.

dgf hhw

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:00 pm

I know I'm going to get blasted out of the water for this, but I'm being completely sincere, currently.

Boys.
Amen to that.

I am definitely feeling this one right now.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:04 am

dgf hhw

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:16 am

:lol:

Insert a frame pretty much anywhere in there where she's on the phone yelling at the guy in question and that would perfectly show how my day went from noon until 4:40pm.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:46 am

Well, I hate, er, girls.

No I don't. Please like me! *cries*
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:02 am

Well, the High Council of Men has just given their ruling on the matter, and I have been authorized to give a formal apology on behalf of our entire sex for all the stupid and awful things that we've done to the female sex:

Sorry ladies. Please realize that most of the things that we do which aggravate you are done innocently out of ignorance and/or stupidity. Nevertheless, we will try to be more considerate in the future. But, it would help us out a bit if you girls would... you know... start making more sense. Just saying, is all... We love you though!

A written version of this apology signed by all 4670 regional representatives of the of the International Male Union is available upon request.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:50 am

The enemy's fly is down.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:13 am

Delta Airlines. I booked two tickets for a trip to CA in May and specifically paid $50 more per ticket (than the cheapest) in order to only have one layover each way (I get very motion sick, esp on takeoffs and landings). A week later I get notified that they canceled the flight I was on and there are no longer any flights that day with one layover. And since it is just a schedule change, their policy does not allow them to rebook me on another airline to accommodate me. I was so furious that I was in tears. My only options (without paying tons more money) were to take 2 layovers or go the day before or after. I chose to change days but I am so mad.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:37 am

I would've gone with http://machall.com/view.php?date=2003-03-10 or perhaps the last panel of http://machall.com/view.php?date=2001-09-13 .

Edit:

The phrase "Just Works", or "Just Works (tm)" or variations. Seriously, that was really old by the second time I had seen it used.

dgf hhw

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:33 pm

I hate this link: http://xrl.us/bdeb9
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:16 pm

In case you didn't guess, it's a rickroll. However, it's a Rickroll that freezes your browser w/ JavaScript. Which I THINK violates the ToS and CAN result in a permanent ban. Just so you know ;)

Anyway, I hate when I KNOW that I'm gonna bitch about whoever posted when I see their name as the latest poster, and I end up being justified.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:39 am

In case you didn't guess, it's a rickroll. However, it's a Rickroll that freezes your browser w/ JavaScript. Which I THINK violates the ToS and CAN result in a permanent ban. Just so you know ;)
Clearly he's just reminding us of the reasons to run with javascript disabled, or at least with some of those fancy adblock+, noscript plugin dealies.

G4. Sometimes they just seem to suck in every way imaginable, except when they're showing shows that were made in another country.

dgf hhw

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:35 am

I use JS too much though... Ughhh. Anyway... it's not all that sophisticated an "exploit". It's the sort of thing a kid would do.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:29 pm

People with no pool etiquette. If you're being passed constantly, go to a slower lane. If you're using a flutterboard, you may need to move to a slower lane. If you notice a person close behind you every single time you turn, even if you know they didn't start the lap so close, let them pass. For the love of all things furry, lay off the cologne. And guys, please don't wear a speedo unless you're a pro. It's almost always the guys at fault. Is it some sort of macho thing, to fake being cool by swimming in the fast lane? I assure you, no one thinks you're cool. You just piss people off.

I swear, one more person swimming in the wrong lane and getting in my way every lap, and the pool waters will run red with his blood.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:34 pm

wait, lanes in a pool have speed limits/minimums? I never knew that.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:41 pm

Usually a pool will be split into three sections - slow/leisure, medium, and fast - and signs are posted at the end of each lane telling you which and also which sides of the lanes to swim up and down. Keeps things moving and keeps cranky pool snobs like yours truly from actually committing homicide. I also hate people who disregard the directions and swim into me. I don't look up or in front of me much, normally, because I trust people to be swimming the right way. Grar. I need my own 25m pool.

But if there aren't any signs, then maybe your pool is organised differently.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

mazer
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Rackham

Postby mazer » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:47 pm

sunburns they despicaple

wait, lanes in a pool have speed limits/minimums? I never knew that.
weird i have never heard of that :?
Last edited by mazer on Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:57 pm

Waiting lists.
-Kim

mazer
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Rackham

Postby mazer » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:34 pm

briars I have scracthes all down my legs.
(you know those vines with the spikes on them)

Return to “Milagre Town Square”