Girly Stuff

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:27 pm

arggggg!
When in need, you must be the savior to your kind. When not, you must conquer and take charge.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:13 pm

I went to my SiL's and she did eye makeup on me as a practice for the wedding on Friday. I also got a different dress to wear. I'll try to take pictures but I realized that I don't have a full length mirror. I'll see what I can do. Makeup looks really weird when you aren't used to wearing it!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:33 pm

"Timer function and a tall, flat surface will do the trick!" says the community camera whore. :)

Related because of the mentioning of dress, otherwise entirely unrelated, my mom just bought a new dress that I like enough to want to borrow from time to time. Seems the right type of fabric, both material and colors, to be okay in summer, not entirely unflattering cut, long enough for me to not feel skanky but not too long, and it has real live sleeves! I am not a fan of straps of any sort as my arms are terribly unattractive. So, now I just need somewhere to wear it.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:19 pm

how can your arms be unattractive?
Ubernaustrum

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:31 pm

I'm not Alea (obviously.. because Alea is Alea), but I've totally been there. For me, I had lots of little bumps on the backs of my arms in middle school. Someone pointed them out (innocently, just asking what they were) and I didn't wear a sleeveless shirt until college. I still look at my arms in pictures sometimes and think "uuuuuuuurgh.. such a weird shape."
-Kim

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:38 pm

I loved the parenthetical, Kim.

brain:

That is kind of an exaggeration of my arms but same principle. I have no tone whatsoever and they're one of a very few problems areas where I decidedly did not lose the same proportion of weight when I lost a bunch of it, so they're larger than what I imagine they should be for my frame as it is.

When I was dancing, strangely enough, they were starting to firm up but since I've not been at that for months, well, flabbiness abounds.

And word to the wise, if any of the other males come in here and start linking or lecturing or otherwise pointing out exercises to fix that problem, I will probably go Raging Bitch on them because as much as I need it and would appreciate it (seriously, I would at any other time), in this particular instance I'm not asking for it.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:28 pm

aw come on, arm flaps just remind me of wings. :P you can ffffffflllllyyyyyyyyyyyy!

i'm sure you're exaggerating quite a bit. there's no way your arms would have enough flap to be unattractive.
Ubernaustrum

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:17 pm

aw come on, arm flaps just remind me of wings. :P you can ffffffflllllyyyyyyyyyyyy!
At first I scoffed at this as rude, but then thought of
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:43 pm

you can ffffffflllllyyyyyyyyyyyy!
Look who you're talking to, buddy. Gravity Defier. I was made to fly. :P
i'm sure you're exaggerating quite a bit. there's no way your arms would have enough flap to be unattractive.

Hm. I hear that, about the exaggerating, quite a bit and I have to say, I find that frustrating to no end; not anger-inducing frustration, just good old fashioned, "I'm sorry, I don't understand" frustration.

I tend to think I'm self-aware, in many aspects and to a fault, and that always gave me the impression that I was also realistic about myself.

At any rate, I'm not saying my arms are grotesque or anything but I do think it is fair and accurate to say they're unattractive in their current form. But, it's a body issue, so I'll grant that I may be wrong and oversensitive/insecure. Either way, I hate sleeveless anything and won't wear it in public if I can at all help it, especially now that my hair isn't long enough to cover it.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:42 am

It's not flying so much as falling with style. :P

I've never known you to be wrong, oversensitive or insecure. :P I don't remember you having flabby or otherwise ugly arms in Chicago and I doubt you've changed significantly in the past year and a half.
The enemy's fly is down.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:43 pm

Holy carp have I ever been wearing the wrong size bra. This explains a lot of things!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:12 pm

I keep thinking I should get fitted, but my bras fit fine enough and I'm afraid I'd leave the place feeling depressed...
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:37 am

I am fairly certain I need a half-size, I seem to be between...
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:25 pm

Based on what I learned yesterday, always err on the "too big" side. Or check to make sure the number part (36, 38, etc.) is correct, because the cups size proportionally, and you might fit perfectly at a smaller band size.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:19 pm

This is a great site for how to measure yourself. It's for nursing bras, but it's the same for regular bras as well.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:27 pm

I really wish I could afford new bras right now, especially since I've been so wildly off. I could see and feel the difference right away, and it was so comfortable. :(

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:44 pm

At work I do at least one bra fit a day and i'm still blown away by the amount of ladies that are wearing the wrong size bra. We do fitting the same way the website suggests, except we don't ever take a measurement above the breasts.

I'm also blown away by the amount of ladies who really want to take their shirt off during a fitting.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:54 am

Argh, cramping. I don't have time for this today!!

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:32 pm

Argh, cramping. I don't have time for this today!!
I feel ya. I'm right there with you!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:58 pm

The cramping went away. I got a migraine instead.

What the hey, body??

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:47 pm

Do you take migraine drugs when you get one? Or just OTC meds? I had one today too. I take maxalt when I get one. It works but I still feel icky for a few hours once the pain goes away.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:58 am

She's currently attempting to sleep off the worst of another one this morning. Sadly there aren't any drugs that she's tried which help. When it is in the sinuses a decongestant helps to a degree, but when it's elsewhere, we've not found anything that works particularly, I don't think.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:12 am

Same one, really. Aurgh. Ibuprofen works best so far for regular migraines. I tried a bunch of different migraine-specific drugs, but they didn't work any better plus they made me nauseous, so I went back to advil.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:57 pm

Have you tried blue M&Ms? Supposedly the blue dye does something to your brain that counters migraines. A friend of mine claims it helps him. I think there was a study done on this in Europe a few years ago, if you want to look it up.
The enemy's fly is down.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:54 am

*laugh* Wow, M&Ms, eh? "No, seriously, this is a medical expense, Mr Insurance Company..."

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:14 pm

I had never heard of this but after doing some research, there are some anecdotal reports about it. It is also related to a story using the blue dye to successfully treat spinal cord injuries in mice.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun May 01, 2011 6:41 pm

Girl confession: I have to be the worst leg-shaver in the history of leg-shaving. I don't just miss spots, I miss entire zip codes. I'm pretty sure I use the wrong sort of system for doing it in the first place and the thing of it is, instead of having this "I should learn to do this the right way" attitude, I'm all about the "Meh, this is good enough."

I'm pretty sure I fail at all girl things, though. I have this sneaking suspicion that I missed that day in school or didn't listen closely enough to my mom when they explained how to do all this girl stuff properly and I've reached the point, and gone well past it, where it's okay to admit ignorance and ask for help.

With that said, there is very little in this world that makes me happier than being newly off my period (woohoo!), taking a nice hot shower (f*** yes!), and having newly (terribly) shaved legs (smooooooth...ish...enough).

Also, I'll go ahead and throw this in here even though it's a general thought and not necessarily girly. I quite often wonder if I smell nice. I don't smell like anything in particular to me but people will cross my path and they smell really nice. I don't know how they do that; perfume/cologne? But then what about the people whose hair it is I can smell? My hair doesn't retain scent that I'm aware of.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun May 01, 2011 7:24 pm

That's why I keep an electric shaver handy. I can't see anything in the shower (since I don't have my glasses on), so I can easily miss spots when shaving. If/when I do, the electric shaver is an easy way to remedy it.

Also, it seems that people in many parts of the country say "I'm on/off my period." I don't generally hear that in NY and I don't think they say it in California either, though I could be wrong about that. We say "I have [don't have] my period."

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Sun May 01, 2011 11:12 pm

Also, it seems that people in many parts of the country say "I'm on/off my period." I don't generally hear that in NY and I don't think they say it in California either, though I could be wrong about that. We say "I have [don't have] my period."
My buddy and I had a conversation about this in high school once because we though it sounded awkward when someone said they "I have/don't have my period". Almost everyone I know uses on/off.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Mon May 02, 2011 10:30 am

I barely shave my legs anymore because I scar easily and I nick myself very badly while shaving them. Though, the last 3 or so times I've done it (aka the last 6-12 months, LOL) I haven't bled! It just gets to the point though where I have to shave because I look like a Yeti.

So this is very random, but 99% of the time, I wear my hair up, and I get a lot of back handed compliments when I wear it down, like yesterday. I am trying not to cave and wear it down more often in light of this, but if I was better about styling it, I would always wear it down. Perhaps I need to get it cut shorter.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon May 02, 2011 10:55 am

I rarely shave my legs either, Meg. I'm such a hippie... but I'm vain enough to shave them in the summer or if I go swimming.

I'm also weirded out by the on/off thing, the language of have/don't have makes much more sense to me, but it's probably a regional thing like you say, Nomi.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri May 13, 2011 5:47 pm

Man. Boobs, eh? I've gone from "comfortably proportional" to "man these things are a pain".

But useful since I plan to breastfeed, so it all works out.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon May 16, 2011 12:21 pm

I'm not happy with my new haircut (last week) which doesn't happy to me very often. What makes it worse is that it was a friend who cut it for me but I had to go to the studio she works at now and pay a lot. I usually love the haircuts she gives me but it was a lack of communication that lead to my disappointment. I planned on either going back to the Amelie haircut (short) or keeping the length (mid-neck?) and getting short layers to bring out the curls. She ended up cutting it Amelie short AND giving me short layers. So, I feel like I have NO hair left. I was kind of on my way to growing it out but now I'm back to where I was six months ago (3-4" shorter). I wasn't clear enough, so I don't blame her. I am just frustrated and bummed and I don't like it. :(

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu May 19, 2011 4:33 pm

Romantic or excessive? I'll let the ladies decide: http://www.thescreeningroom.ca/2011/05/ ... viral.html
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:05 pm

Romantic or excessive? I'll let the ladies decide: http://www.thescreeningroom.ca/2011/05/ ... viral.html
I think it's romantic. I've heard a ton of people at work talk about this video and it seems like almost everyone else things it's just way too much or annoying.

It's obviously not for everyone, but I thought it was adorable.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”