Answer as you please

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
sail-fish12
Launchie
Launchie

Answer as you please

Postby sail-fish12 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:04 pm

Aight, In all of the Ender's series written by Orson Scott Card, particularly after ENDER'S GAME, Orson Scott Card goes into great detail of most of the thoughts of most of the main characters. These thoughts are long complicated strings of logic or questions and theories, etc. Most of tha time the "deepness" of these thoughts is greater than the accumulated thoughts of normal peoples entire lifetime. My question is with the smaller parts of these thoughts, the "sub" strains of logic or premises, are they un-recognized by the main part of the thought process, not recognized exactly, but just a part of the logic strain thats not thought of too long, or are they all part of a top strain adn then brought together at the end? Any answers appreciated.

sail-fish12
Launchie
Launchie

Re: Answer as you please

Postby sail-fish12 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:17 pm

let me add, Do you guys think that the premises of their logic are not too heavily considered, of ease? :D

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:38 am

Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but you're asking if the described lines of reasoning are all conscious or whether OSC details the subconscious ones as well?

I think it rather depends on the character, but (I never thought I'd say this, but) it's been a while since I read ANY of the books. It is stated explicitly in Ender's Shadow that "...all of this passed through Bean's head not so much verbally, but with a near-instantaneous clarity..." and I know there are mistakes in that quote (see above). So for Bean (and there are other references to his subconscious), certainly much of the described reasoning is happening at an automatic level, but this is Bean. His little key makes it possible for him to reason out stuff without trying that it takes ordinary people much time and effort to do.

As for the others, I'm not sure. Certainly I do a lot of thinking, as many people will be glad to tell you, so I'm not particularly surprised at the depth or complexity of thoughts in these genii, so I am inclined to believe that most of it is conscious unless stated or implied otherwise.
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

sail-fish12
Launchie
Launchie

Postby sail-fish12 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:15 am

Ok, that answers what I was asking exactly. I've read up to the 7th book but I didn't remember that quote. Yah I think at some point these sort of strains of logic would become like breathing to someone like these characters. What brought the question was seeing Orson Scott Card's detail in writing out their thought.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”