Can you guys help with a dilema?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Re: Can you guys help with a dilema?

Postby Tiny genius » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:26 am

I'm not "hiding" it from Ev, the nine year old, I'm just not sure if I should tell him right at the moment. For starters, he's pretty immature, even for a nine-year-old, and either wouldn't get it or not know when it was appropriate to make jokes or mention it. He's also terrible at keeping his mouth shut which might sound paranoid but news like that has a way of getting around.

The moment I tell him that I'm also into guys he'll probably get it into his head that I'm gay and go around telling everyone, "Hey, this is my brother, he's blind and he's gay too." He has a habit of telling complete strangers at the shops all of our life stories.

So I'm not hiding it, I'm really just not sure that it's a good idea to tell him. If I start dating guys, I think I'll have to though.
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:45 am

You entirely missed my point -which was, if an opportunity presented itself to tell him, where it made more sense to tell him than not and where the alternative would be to hide it, then by all means, tell him but don't rush to tell him now just to feel like you have to tell everyone right this second- but okay. :)
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:58 am

You entirely missed my point -which was, if an opportunity presented itself to tell him, where it made more sense to tell him than not and where the alternative would be to hide it, then by all means, tell him but don't rush to tell him now just to feel like you have to tell everyone right this second- but okay. :)
I agree with Alea. Also, kids might not need to be specifically "told". My husband was never really told that his oldest sister (10 years older then him) is a lesbian, he just grew into knowing it as part of her. I'm not saying it's like that for every kid, but young kids have ways of figuring things out without being told.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:29 pm

That did cross my mind, that he might just see it as a part of his older brother. And Alea, I did misunderstand you but now that it's been clarified for me, I agree. I wouldn't deliberatly seek to hide it, especially if it would become too confusing and difficult for all involved, but I wouldn't go telling him for the sake of saying, "Well, that's it, everyone knows. Good for me."
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:57 pm

Right. :) Kids are amazingly open-minded, at least to start with.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:05 pm

Hence Bean's continuous (and astonishing) learning/remembering/analysing abilities :).

Return to “Milagre Town Square”