PWEB COMMITTEE: Design/Logo Integration Discussion

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Re: PWEB COMMITTEE: Design/Logo Integration Discussion

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:00 pm

I like this one. I also like the idea of having multiple rotating or randomized banner icons and there's a how-to on phpbb.com for doing just that.
The enemy's fly is down.

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:31 am

To sum it all up...

So we're all pretty much in agreement about which banner we like for pweb.

I really like this one for my site:
Image[/quote]
Just three things I would change:
1. No actor pictures in this version (I think we all agree, but possibly maybe later in another design closer to the movie blah blah blah)
2. Can you make pretty much the same design on the other sized-blank I provided so that it fits my site width...? yes please.
3. Can you make the "Ender's Game" lettering light blue instead of green so it matches yours? :)

Things to figure out:
Do we want a randomized banner icon? if it's easy enough, go for it!
I like the suggestion to use MY STUFF in the header, of course.....how can I help?
Maybe that's how we can incorporate Stephen's design.
Other ideas for the randomized icons?
book covers, fan art maybe?
"Even though faith is above reason, there can never be any real disagreement between faith and reason, since it is the same God who reveals the mysteries and infuses faith, and who has endowed the human mind with the light of reason." -The Catholic Church, Session III, Chapter IV, Canon 5 of the First Vatican Council
http://endersansible.com

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Postby Taalcon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:22 am

Changes as requested,
a)With movie release date:

b)And without:

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:00 pm

Thank you! I like them both, and I'm open to using either one.
"Even though faith is above reason, there can never be any real disagreement between faith and reason, since it is the same God who reveals the mysteries and infuses faith, and who has endowed the human mind with the light of reason." -The Catholic Church, Session III, Chapter IV, Canon 5 of the First Vatican Council

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:19 am

Alright - are there any objections? If not, I say we go ahead and get these put in place.

Let me know if different dimensions would be more helpful, and I can adjust as needed:

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:37 pm

I say we go ahead and get these put in place.
That's my vote. Thanks for working on these, Taal. :)
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:53 pm

Alright. Casting news is freaking hopping. Who's in charge of getting graphics/layout changes in effect? Are they aware of this thread?

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:23 pm

I can do that. Do you have a .psd or other working file of some sort? That'll make it easier for me to fit it to each of the themes. Just put it in Dropbox or Ge.tt or something similar and PM me a link.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:42 pm

I just noticed I gave you the wrong banner blank arghhhh
I uploaded it on my tester and it looks really wrong.
I'll get back to you with the right one, so so so sorry, serious where is my head? :/

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:24 pm

Alright this is the final one! I tested it on the tester layout to make sure it was the right one!
A few more things I noticed
1) So use the new right-sized blank (again I'm really sorry)
2) In the last edition you put a black shadow behind the description text, liked it better without it
3) When I uploaded the wrong-sized blank I noticed that the darker shading you did looked weird on my site because my background is navy and the shading was more blackish. I just looked wrong, so no shading please.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:37 pm

Here's a link for the psd of the PWEB logo version (with text layers rendered out):PSD LINK
The image:

And here's a new version of the Ender's Ansible header:

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:30 pm

Done and up! :mrgreen:
Thank you again, Dave and everyone who else who helped!

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:34 am

It's up! And looks awesome :D

Also, nice on the bolding of Ender's Ansible in the menu!

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:02 am

Also, if you're interested in using the yellow-ship favicon, here's a link to the one I used at thephiloticweb.net : favicon.png

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:22 am

Looks great, guys!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:06 pm

Looks awesome! On both sites. Is it possible to do in-image links to each other's sites, or is that too 90s web?
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:37 pm

It's up! And looks awesome :D

Also, nice on the bolding of Ender's Ansible in the menu!
I agree is looks great on both sites! Thanks for the favicon, I'll try it out! If you all I want I could do something similar (bold Philotic Web) in the links bar on Ender's Ansible? I think the yellow link looks better though, plus I linked pweb/phoebe under "Forums+Chat" ...thoughts?
Looks awesome! On both sites. Is it possible to do in-image links to each other's sites, or is that too 90s web?
The thought crossed my mind but I have no idea how to do that.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:50 pm

I'm breaking out the big one for this.

"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:27 pm

Also, if you're interested in using the yellow-ship favicon, here's a link to the one I used at thephiloticweb.net : favicon.png
Great work on the banners. Image

I'll swap out the favicon here next time I'm on my computer (probably sometime Christmas Sunday).
The enemy's fly is down.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:41 pm

[...] plus I linked pweb/phoebe under "Forums+Chat" ...thoughts?
I like. My initial thought was to just put a News link in our bar that went to your site, but it was not terribly noticeable.

I'm wondering if it would be possible for you to link to the forum and the chat separately, and include the currently chatting number like we have here. I'll investigate on Monday how to make that number accessible to your site.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:00 pm

I've been contemplating how we might pay for hosting if we were to change hosts. A few options:
  • Donations — Pretty straight forward. We stick a Donate link on the site and hope people support us.
  • Generic Ads — Google Ads are stupid simple to set up, but they're a bit tacky and I'm not sure our demographic is terribly prone to clicking on them. Cassandra, if you don't mind my asking, are your ads bringing in any revenue on Ender's Ansible?
  • Ender Ads — We could set up an Amazon Affiliates account and make our own ads to sell Ender books, Ender comic books, etc. Perhaps other OSC books or whatever we feel is a good fit.
  • Sell Fan Merch — Ender's Ansible hats, Phoebe shirts, etc.

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:45 pm

[...] plus I linked pweb/phoebe under "Forums+Chat" ...thoughts?
I like. My initial thought was to just put a News link in our bar that went to your site, but it was not terribly noticeable.

I'm wondering if it would be possible for you to link to the forum and the chat separately, and include the currently chatting number like we have here. I'll investigate on Monday how to make that number accessible to your site.
That reminds me... I think there's a way to link recent news stories and it could self-update every time there's a new news post. Don't quote me on that.
On another note, I could very easily list the forums and chat separately, I could do that right now (or tomorrow). The number of people in the chat is a great idea! I have no idea how I could make that happen the way I currently have things set up, let me tinker around. To be honest, it might be easier to give someone with more technical knowledge administrative privileges to the tester site.
I've been contemplating how we might pay for hosting if we were to change hosts. A few options:
  • Donations — Pretty straight forward. We stick a Donate link on the site and hope people support us.
  • Generic Ads — Google Ads are stupid simple to set up, but they're a bit tacky and I'm not sure our demographic is terribly prone to clicking on them. Cassandra, if you don't mind my asking, are your ads bringing in any revenue on Ender's Ansible?
  • Ender Ads — We could set up an Amazon Affiliates account and make our own ads to sell Ender books, Ender comic books, etc. Perhaps other OSC books or whatever we feel is a good fit.
  • Sell Fan Merch — Ender's Ansible hats, Phoebe shirts, etc.
Yes, but really just a negligible amount. I didn't have ads for a long time. They're only up now because when I put the custom Google search in there would be ads every time you searched anyway and I figured if there were going to be ads I might as well get paid for them. The custom search without ads was pretty pricey. I wouldn't mind taking the Good Ads off. My initial half-hearted-hope was to break even on what I spent on the domain and all that, although I'm nowhere close to that amount and gave up on that silly idea a long time ago. As far as the other methods of generating revenue I'm open to all ideas. I did think about having some stickers made for fun (free advertising on my laptop haha, I go to a very nerdy university) with either my actual logo or the QR code to the site.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:51 pm

I don't want ads on Pweb and I don't believe we need ads on Pweb. I don't remember if it ever made it to the public discussion then, but way back when this all started I preferred the donation model if we were to break away from Ami with or without the .net domain.

PM excerpt from myself (and Will) to Jan:
Sent: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:25 pm
To: Jayelle

My preferred option is to pay to have a third party host the site for us - a company Will likes and has used in the past costs about $10/month. I've already volunteered to cover the financial side of things myself, although if others are able and want to assist with payments, I'll set up a special Paypal account or something.
I also remember mentioning at some point that $10/month for hosting is less than the $15/month I used to pay for my World of Warcraft subscription as a matter of comparison.

And I know others have stated publicly or privately that they'd be able and willing to support Pweb financially as well so even if we get slammed by newbies because of the movie and our bandwidth consumption increases, I really don't see money being a concern any time soon.
The enemy's fly is down.

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:50 am

While I'm not particularly for or against ads, I went ahead and took them off.
If you all decide to decide go ahead with the donation button, I wouldn't mind putting the paypal button on my site.
I will note though that my site is pretty much covered financially for the next couple years, unless I end up switching to Wordpress.
In that case, I don't think it would cost that much anyway.
I also went ahead and uploaded the favicon with the little yellow ship. I'll seperate the chat and forums in my site's tab either tonight or tomorrow.

Psst Chris, it suddenly hit me philoticweb.net=Phoebe
endersansible.com=Eric (it also works with Ernie and Enrico)
Phoebe + Eric = :love: hahahahahaha, ok I'm done being silly

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:59 am

Okay, we can get a hosting package for $10/mo., but I don't expect much flexibility from something that cheap. I don't suppose you have a link to the proposed package?

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:41 am

Could there be a way to add an RSS feed to the top of the page, underneath the menu, with a title link to the latest News Story from Ender's Ansible? That could be a fantastic way of more integrating the sites, and keep those who generally come here first to be more familiar with the news as it's being reported. Sometimes it comes to the forum first, and sometimes it comes to EA first. This would be a good way for both to be at the same time.

TechChris
Techie
Techie

Postby TechChris » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:48 am

While playing with RSS parsers just now, I note that PHP has been updated. Hurrah!

TechChris
Techie
Techie

Postby TechChris » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:39 am

Ta da. Just need to figure out how to only show it on the front page, now... Then I'll add it to the other themes.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:27 pm

I'm not a fan at all. The pictures are too big and I have to scroll 2 screens down to get to the forum at all. Anyway to make them smaller and have them horizontal across the page instead of vertical? It's a problem on both my laptop and my phone.

(P.S. Thanks for your work, Chris! I don't mean for this to sound like criticism of you or the hard work you are doing!)
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

TechChris
Techie
Techie

Postby TechChris » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:35 pm

Hmm. The pictures are tiny for me. Perhaps your stylesheet hasn't refreshed. Let me see if I can force a refresh for everyone...

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:37 pm

Huge pictures are huge. And everywhere.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

TechChris
Techie
Techie

Postby TechChris » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:39 pm

This is what it looks like for me:

I take it that's not what you're seeing?

ETA: I tried forcing a refresh. Did it help?

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:44 pm

it was all big scroll forever :stoned: pictures for me about a half hour ago but now it looks like the little picture you just linked. good job!

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:51 pm

I have tiny pictures.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

TechChris
Techie
Techie

Postby TechChris » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:51 pm

Hooray!

And now it's set to only appear on the front page of the forum.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”