About a Tree

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:02 pm

Parka isn't part of the vernacular. I live in hoodies. I also have a couple jackets and coats. I think I use them pretty interchangeably. But when I say parka, think about what Eskimos wear. That's a parka. Get it done.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:06 am

I would if I didn't have to keep looking up what a parka is.

Say it with me, Easterner, "jacket." Because there are only two levels of those things: hoodie and jacket.
Jackets are too light for winter. In winter you need a proper coat!
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:18 am

She wouldn't know winter if it smacked her across the face. :P

I, however, am perfectly fine in subzero temperatures in a light jacket. I guess it's a side effect of having worked in a freezer warehouse where the temperature ranges from +40F on the warm end to -20F on the cold end. Also that whole hypothermia incident might have something to do with it too.
The enemy's fly is down.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Re: About a Tree

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri May 11, 2012 9:11 am

I know you're in Chicago, but how's the tree doing at home?

I can't lie, I also want to talk about my plants. Can I borrow your thread?

My lettuces are still not dead, and the iceberg ones even seem to be curling into themselves some. I may need bigger pots for at least a couple of them. The cabbages and cauliflowers continue to grow slowly, as does the bean plant. The nasturtiums have really taken off, but I think I gave them more space than they need, so I'm going to possibly move them and pot up a couple lettuces. I was trying to sprout some chilli and pepper seeds we were given (without much hope), but at least a couple of them have popped up! Wow! My tomatoes aren't dead, which is pretty good, and I decided to try to sprout some black beans and kidney beans, which has worked, so now I'm not sure what to do with them. Pot them up, too? I guess?

This level of plant-growing success is unprecedented, and I may have more than I know what to do with. Lettuce for everyone!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri May 11, 2012 4:01 pm

I would like to brag that we have an amazing lemon tree just outside our front door. Now I won't have to buy them anymore!
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Fri May 11, 2012 4:32 pm

I would like to brag that we have an amazing lemon tree just outside our front door. Now I won't have to buy them anymore!
Oh my gosh. I can't even tell you how jealous I am!!

Good job on your plants, Ali!

And yeah, how's the tree, Alea?
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri May 11, 2012 4:46 pm

You know you've been here too long when a lemon tree feels like a betrayal.
The enemy's fly is down.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri May 11, 2012 6:26 pm

I know you're in Chicago, but how's the tree doing at home?
You (and Steph) are sweet for asking. I ask my mom every so often how it is, if she's watering it and loving on it for me, etc. and she says she is but I'll get to see my baby in two weeks. Should be tall by now, what with the heat and hopefully regular waterings. I'm a little nervous about the state my yard is in, now that I think about it, but my mom can only do so much on her own.
Can I borrow your thread?
What's mine is yours (with exceptions for my boy...but you have one already anyway). :) I'm so happy everything is growing so well for you. I think pictures every so often are in order.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat May 12, 2012 7:29 am

I will take some later this week so the growth will be noticable! I did pot up a lettuce and move the nasturtiums a bit, and I moved two of the chilli seedlings into the abandoned lettuce potlet.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed May 23, 2012 1:44 pm

I figured I would use this thread to mention that I just now realized how many plants I left behind when we moved. In the four plus years that we lived there, I had actually planted quite a few things that I really liked. I'm not a gardener by any means but I do have an affinity for certain plants. I had planted my favorite tree which is called a Serviceberry or Shadbush. It was about 6' when we first got it and probably 8-9' when we moved. We had also planted thornless blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, rhubarb, asparagus (all perennials). I had planted two shrubs that I loved, a weigela and a potentilla. We also had evening primrose there when we moved in and I loved those.

Anyway, I didn't realize how much I would miss the plants until the spring hit and I see all the foreign plants in my new yard. It does have a weigela. I'm going to get a couple potentilla and an awesome little plant called rose campion (not a rose), that a neighbor of mine had and I've coveted for years.

I have two giant peony bushes but I dislike them, so I just gave them away on CL. Let someone else do the digging! :)

And I'd like to get another Serviceberry tree if I can find one cheap enough (the original one I bought was like $80!).
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri May 25, 2012 5:20 am

I think I already posted a few early pictures of my plants some weeks back, but here is what they looked like yesterday.

My tomatoes:

Pepper and chilli seedlings, two lentil stalks tied to a knitting needle, and two black beans:

An assortment of lettuces, cabbages, cauliflower, nasturtiums, pepper and chilli seedlings, and thyme:

Some lettuces, and beside Sparkly Mary, a tiny rosemary:

Clockwise from 12, my black bean, kidney bean, broad bean, and lentil plants:

The salad I made from my lettuce:

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Fri May 25, 2012 8:48 am

Wow, that vinaigrette looks amazing!

(Can you see where my priorities are? :mrgreen: )
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri May 25, 2012 9:23 am

Half balsamic, half extra virgin olive oil, few shakes of salt, a bit of sugar, some very sharp mustard, and some thyme and oregano. Yum. Never quite the same twice, but usually pretty tasty!

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Fri May 25, 2012 1:11 pm

Half balsamic, half extra virgin olive oil, few shakes of salt, a bit of sugar, some very sharp mustard, and some thyme and oregano. Yum. Never quite the same twice, but usually pretty tasty!

Thats how I make my vinaigrette except I use black pepper instead of thyme and oregano... I will have to try them next time

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri May 25, 2012 2:58 pm

Right, forgot the black pepper. We're out at the moment, so it didn't make it into yesterday's dressing, but it usually does.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri May 25, 2012 8:04 pm

The salad I made from my lettuce
Even though rationally I'm sure it's not the same at all, I'd feel like I was eating my child if I ate something I grew.

On the flip side, that is really awesome and impressive, in a "How far removed have I become from where food comes from that I find this so amazing a feat?"

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun May 27, 2012 4:43 am

I garden for edibility. Even my flowers - nasturtiums and lavender - are edible. And I'm learning just how many plants can be grown without needing to buy seeds. Peppers, beans, cucumbers, tomatoes - all you need is to save the seeds from something you bought or previously grew, and you can replant them!

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:56 am

I have a big tub and an empty spot in my garden. I'm trying to decide what I should grow. At first I was thinking potatoes (because we always use potatoes) but the internet seems to think those grow better in a tall trash bin. I'm also thinking onions.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:45 am

Well, my lettuces were a lost cause but most other things are doing well. Some of my taters have rotted in the pot, but others are still growing. I spent an hour last night potting on a bunch of things. My tomatoes are thriving, despite one of them having been nearly snapped in half by winds! The break has completely healed over! I have blossoms! I'm also trying to rescue my nasturtiums which I neglected for too long. Here's hoping!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:13 pm

Alea, I seem to remember you were/did go home recently. How's the tree doing?

Plant update:

Some herbs! Some random types of basil I sprouted from cuttings from a community garden (one is still sprouting in the pic but I potted it tonight), and a pot of store-bought basil.

More herbs! Thyme, more basil, sprouted from the other pot, some green onions, and trying to sprout more rosemary.

YOU GUYS I MADE POTATOES!

I was going to put up a pic of the plants outside, but the more recent one I have is seriously out of date, so I'll have to do that later. :)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:45 am

I was home in May (she was doing wonderfully) and go home again in a month. She just had a haircut and is looking like a big kid again, though still not as big as she was when she started to bloom for me two summers ago...but I'm hoping my mom will watch for drops in temp starting in December and can keep her nice and watered on those nights to keep her warm.

I love your potatoes; seriously, how cool is that? :mrgreen:

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:02 pm

I ate one of those potatoes tonight! Ate it! A potato that I grew!

It was delicious.

GS
Soldier
Soldier

Postby GS » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:25 pm

So what's up with this tree? Was it an emotional reunion?
I don't want to do things. I want to not do things.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:49 pm

Ha, oh you. A bit emotional, yes. I'm pretty sure I ran up to it yelling "You sexy, sexy tree!" when I first saw it, before I got distracted by my dogs.

About a week before I went back, a haboob (*cough*duststorm*cough*) went through the area and my tree lost a pretty significantly sized branch, that made it go from looking full to...less full.

But it is as tall and almost as full as it was when it died last winter so as long as my mom waters it when it drops into the 30s or below -a rare enough occurrence- it should survive the winter and get bigger than it has ever gotten to in its three attempts at life over the past however many years.

That means, should nothing go wrong, it should flower next summer. :mrgreen:

Is it weird that I feel proud of it and myself for helping it?

GS
Soldier
Soldier

Postby GS » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:57 pm

Not at all. It is a triumph of perseverance for you and the tree.
I don't want to do things. I want to not do things.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”