Yes, I know Google is my friend, but I'd rather ask you.

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Re: Yes, I know Google is my friend, but I'd rather ask you.

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:51 pm

Okay, people: I'm in Salt Lake City for the next few days. What are the things that I shouldn't miss?
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:19 pm

Cafe Rio. :D

Seriously though: Check out Temple Square. There's some impressive architecture (The temple is seriously amazing) and lots of history. Plenty of missionaries to give tours. (They are used to tourists, so they shouldn't be religion pushy.) If you're interested in genealogy, they have EVERYTHING ever for researching family history at the Family Search Center. You could check out Olympic sites. Brian says go float in the Salt Lake. Hiking trails should be pretty easy to access.

Place to eat: Cafe Rio, Brick Oven, The Sconecutter, Lion House, The Roof and/or The Garden (if you're looking for something more expensive/gourmet)
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:23 pm

Trolley Square is touristy and fun. You have to get the saltwater taffy. Temple Square is always beautiful, and it's right by the new Crossroads mall. It's a little high-end for me, but it's all open air and there is creek going through it, so that's pretty cool. I don't know if it's your thing or not, but there is a lot of hiking relatively close. And if not, just driving up into some of the canyons is beautiful. I remember the Hogle Zoo being the coolest place ever, but I haven't been there since I was 7 so I'm probably exaggerating. The Capitol building looks pretty much like every other Capitol building in the country, but has an exceptional view of the city. If you like driving a little bit, I hear Antelope Island is a cool place to see.

That's pretty much all I can think of--I don't usually tour around SLC. But some things to look into!

And since Steph and I posted at the same time: I second the Cafe Rio recommendation. I actually prefer Costa Vida, but I think I'm unique in that.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:11 pm

Thanks for the help, guys! I'm definitely going to check as much of that out as I can. (I'm here for work, and I'm really only free in the evenings, so I probably won't get to all of it!)
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:05 pm

While at work tonight, I had really blurry vision in the corners of both eyes, that looked strikingly similar to heat waves...in that I could see at the corners but it was moving in a wave-like pattern. No pain, it went away after about 20 minutes, pretty sudden onset, though I did feel like passing out for part of that due to the incessant motion from just keeping my eyes open.

I think Google told me it was a migraine but if so, I've never had that kind. Can anyone confirm from experience?
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:18 pm

I have had very very occasional episodes of blurry vision in the last few years. No headache, no other kind of pain, and a small feeling of disorientation. Nothing really bad came out of that, but it doesn't mean nothing will not :|
If you are worried about it, you might want to check with a doctor.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:52 am

I have heard of aura-only migraines and that could be it, especially if you've ever had regular migraines. But that's just a guess!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:25 am

It could be something in the eye itself. I've had what looked like pixelated patches in my vision appear for short periods of time and my optometrist said it was basically something floating in the eye.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:25 pm

It could be something in the eye itself. I've had what looked like pixelated patches in my vision appear for short periods of time and my optometrist said it was basically something floating in the eye.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:45 pm

If you are worried about it, you might want to check with a doctor.
Oh, I am not worried, I was merely inconvenienced as I was trying to work (on the public desk with no backup). zero is/was worried when I told him and thinks I should see a doctor or, barring that, do something besides try to work through it if it happens again.

I don't have insurance so unless I am, by my own opinion, dying, no doctor visits for me!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:18 pm

Any recommendations on good-great tablets (for drawing) under $100?

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:32 pm

The tablets that I have heard the most about, and basically all positive, is Wacom. I imagine you can find them at Amazon?

And for my own question, if I wanted to turn a segment of an .avi file into a .gif, any particular programmes or methods that are easier than others?

I broke down and googled it anyway, and my question is answered.
Last edited by Rei on Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:53 pm

My Wacom is amazing, but I'm a bit out of the loop as to how much they cost.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:55 pm

I know nothing about tablets, but from a quick look at Wacom's site Bamboo appears to be their consumer line with models ranginging from $80 to $200.
The enemy's fly is down.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:27 pm

Yeah...I didn't think anyone would respond so I started trying to make sense of them on my own. It was hard for me to tell which needed batteries (of all kinds, not just Wacom) for the stylus, which didn't, which came with some sort of software for doodling, which didn't, etc.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:21 pm

I've asked google several times, but I haven't found what I'm looking for. Can anyone help me out?

I need a condensed version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas. The original is just too long for the entertainment spot we have at a Christmas party, but I need it to go along with Brian singing "You're a Mean One." Has anyone ever seen a condensed version?

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:44 pm

I've asked google several times, but I haven't found what I'm looking for. Can anyone help me out?

I need a condensed version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas. The original is just too long for the entertainment spot we have at a Christmas party, but I need it to go along with Brian singing "You're a Mean One." Has anyone ever seen a condensed version?
Condensed version of the movie or the book?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:47 pm

I assumed she meant book; I've never seen an abridged version of the text of How The Grinch Stole Christmas.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:10 pm

Yeah, I did mean the book. Sorry for the confusion.

We have some Dr. Seuss board books that abridge very nicely (those books are LONG!!), but I haven't seen one for the Grinch. I guess Brian and I will have to get to work on slashing it up for the night ourselves.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:28 pm

I have some CALCOMP III Tablets, with wireless 16-button pucks. I have 3 tablets, but only ONE cable--and it's a 9-pin serial cable. You'd have to track down some software and drivers for it.

Here's a typical image of the puck:

The active area of the tablet is 12" x 12"

Image (not mine--a generic image from the Intertubes)

If you're interested, let me know. I'll post pictures, point you to where you can find drivers (tell me your OS), you make me an offer, and we'll go from there. I was about to post the whole set, 3 tablets, 3 pucks, and the one cable and power supply for $50 on e-bay, plus shipping. Shipping is going to be somewhere from $15 to $20, in the "states"
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:54 am

Yeah, I did mean the book. Sorry for the confusion.

We have some Dr. Seuss board books that abridge very nicely (those books are LONG!!), but I haven't seen one for the Grinch. I guess Brian and I will have to get to work on slashing it up for the night ourselves.
Yup. I searched for a good while and no board book of it exists! I'm pretty surprised at that.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:39 pm

I'm surprised, too! We own several Dr. Seuss board books and I think they are very well done. I'd love one of the Grinch just for my personal collection.

Thanks for poking around for me, in case I was just terrible at looking of what I needed! :)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:40 pm

Thanks, Steve, but I actually found a Wacom for $30. Nowhere near that size an active area but it gets the job done. :)

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:27 pm

Darn!

Good for you, not so much for me!
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:22 am

I've got a challenge for our technically inclined members. My google-fu is pretty good, if I do say so myself, but I've had surprisingly little success finding a solution to this:

I just got a new Windows 8 laptop. I'm loving it so far except for one rather big problem. Apparently Win8 doesn't allow you to connect to wireless networks that use a shared WEP security key. This is what my router at home uses!

Yeah, I know that this security is outdated and not very secure, but that's not the point right now. I need to know if there's a way around this, or, failing that, what sort of router should I be looking to upgrade to?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:50 am

Quite simply, you can't. Windows made the choice to exclude it, so they would need to put out a fix. And from everything I've seen, it doesn't look likely.

However, 8 does still support WEP, just not shared key. So is there any specific reason you need to use shared? Because if you are happy with the current router, you should just be able to switch your router settings from shared to open. After that, you should be able to connect just fine.

If you would rather just get a new, more secure router, then I'm sure someone else can come in and give the proper recommendations. I usually just get this cheapest one.
I don't want to do things. I want to not do things.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:07 pm

Yeah, that's pretty much the answer I was expecting.

The thing is, I have lost pretty much everything to do with my router. That is, the manual, the set up CD, administrator passwords... everything. And believe me, I NEVER lose this stuff. I still have discs and manuals for devices I got rid of years and years ago, so it's very annoying that the one device I need it for I don't have it.

Bottom line is, I don't think there's any way I can change the settings. I can't even access them. So it looks like I'll be getting a new router and go though the annoyance of adding several devices to a brand new network and hope that it works at least as well as my current set up. :bash:

Comparing routers has only confused and frustrated me further. I'm hesitant to just get the cheapest one. Shopping for a laptop was much easier since I actually understand computer specs and features. I don't know heads from tails when it comes to routers.

Thanks for your input.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:27 pm

Is it sea salt caramel (one thing) or sea salt and caramel (two things combined)? And what is it and where did it come from?

Having never heard of it, suddenly I'm hearing it everywhere.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:46 pm

As far as I know, it is sea salt and caramel, two separate things (often eaten together, lately). It's just a combination of flavors, salty and sweet.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:48 pm

Salted caramels have been around for awhile, but it's trendy these days.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:56 pm

It is sea salted caramel, so sea salt sprinkled in/on the caramel. In my opinion, caramel doesn't take quite right if there isn't salt in it. (I usually just use kosher salt. And I cook it into the caramel, so there aren't salty bits.)

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:33 pm

This might be a bit random, but what is UP with those dark blue Christmas lights? They're like... anti-lights. I can sort of see why it's not worth the effort to replace them in a string of multi-coloured lights, but some people buy whole strings of just the dark blue! I don't get it, and I don't even know how I'd google this.

So does anyone here like them, and WHY?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:57 pm

So I just got a pea coat. It's wool(55%), poleyester. Etc.

I usually wash clothes before I wear them, because I always detect a slight smell. Plus people could have tried it on, bacteria? , etc.

This pea coat says Professional Dry Clean only. I don't want to wash it, I just want to dry it for a bit to kill any of the bacteria or whatever and make the odor a bit more neutral. Is this okay?
Is it likely to shrink?

I tried to Google it a little bit, but mostly it talks about washing. Here's the only thing I found about drying it without washing it....
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 039AA8FTRZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:20 pm

Wool can shrink with heat, especially if it's hot enough heat to "kill" any bacteria. I wouldn't try it.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:50 pm

Wool can shrink with heat, especially if it's hot enough heat to "kill" any bacteria. I wouldn't try it.
Okay, thank you.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Return to “Milagre Town Square”