Nesting! Decor in Rooms, Apts, houses etc

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Cream soda > root beer.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:20 pm

It doesn't *taste* minty to me but it smells like wintergreen. But I'm kind of a freak when it comes to smell. I think skunk smells like concentrated lemon juice (those little fake plastic lemons filled with juice).
And I have very little sense of smell, so that would explain why I've never noticed it.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:07 pm

I'm sorry for the derailing of the thread! I loved your pictures and particularly the view from your kitchen window. It looks so stereotypically british (in a good way).
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:16 pm

I like A&W or Mug best. Which one tends to depend, but I think I generally go for Mug, if it came down to it.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:25 pm

oh sprecher here in wisconsin makes a hella good cream soda. good root beer too. :)
Ubernaustrum

Nehali Sophia
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nehali Sophia » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:36 pm

EL, is there any purple in that teapot? I can't figure out if the stripe below the red and above the darkest blue is light blue or lilac.
The wonder that keeps the stars apart

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:26 am

It's lilac, but very pale/bluish lilac. :)
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Nehali Sophia
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nehali Sophia » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:29 pm

It's lilac, but very pale/bluish lilac. :)
I had to check - it just didn't make sense to me that a rainbow tea set had three different shades of blue but no purple. Also for some ridiculous reason, I feel affirmed? vindicated? right? that the purple (on the teapot I insisted Brent buy for you) could pass for blue. I hope you'll think of me whenever you see that teapot - especially the very pale/bluish lilac stripe!

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:08 am

Ali, I know you've posted pictures of it before, but the quilt your mother made you (I believe she made the "stained glass" quilt as a wedding present for you and Brent, yes?) is really beautiful.

Do you mind cooking in a community kitchen? I find myself thinking that I'd far rather share a bathroom than a kitchen. The one time I had a kitchen that I shared with a large number of people I was living in the dorms in college, and wasn't cooking at all at that point. Are the utensils and pans and things all community items, or do people use their own tools exclusively? I find it terrifying and fascinating, both.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:40 am

Ali, I know you've posted pictures of it before, but the quilt your mother made you (I believe she made the "stained glass" quilt as a wedding present for you and Brent, yes?) is really beautiful.
It really is. I'm so lucky to have my mom.
Do you mind cooking in a community kitchen? I find myself thinking that I'd far rather share a bathroom than a kitchen. The one time I had a kitchen that I shared with a large number of people I was living in the dorms in college, and wasn't cooking at all at that point. Are the utensils and pans and things all community items, or do people use their own tools exclusively? I find it terrifying and fascinating, both.
I cook in the communal kitchen because there's no option. It's not my favourite thing. People (or a particular person, we think) tend to leave mess, and it's hard not to get irritated. The recycling is just downstairs! Why do we have to have milk jugs stacked by the garbage bin! Can't you wipe the counter up when you're done! Argh. But everyone seems to wash their dishes, and I haven't seen a stack left in the sink yet, which is good. There are communal pots, pans, and dishes, but I prefer to use my own, and we keep them in our room with us. I always know they're cleaned properly, and not being abused. I think most people just use the communal stuff, though.

A real issue is space. There's a lot of junk built up over time, as people leave and leave their dishes and utensils behind. But no one ever throws stuff away, really, so it just accumulates. If it were my own kitchen, most of the stuff in the picture would be GONE, and it would be more organised and tidier. But I can't just toss other people's stuff.

I really look forward to my own kitchen. Really. A LOT.

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:09 pm

but he's got sioux city sodas and that's where i tried the birch beer first. i don't know which i like more, the soda or the sandwiches.
Just hijacking the thread once more.

I got their birch and root beers the other night. The birch beer definitely smells like toothpaste or mouthwash, but it quite good. The root beer definitely ranks up there.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:39 pm

you, sir, should be in advertising.

i guess i've never associated the way it smells with anything.

interestingly i think one of my favorite smells though would have to be Dr. Pepper poured on ice in a glass. hold that fizz up to your face and it's instant childhood.
Ubernaustrum

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:44 am

I've never associated rootbeer with anything external. It's just the taste of rootbeer.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:54 pm

I've been avoiding posting pictures of my "new" apartment because I really don't think it feels home-y at all (I'm probably moving downtown in a month or so, so I shall try again!) but I'm just a bit too excited about my new movie poster.

I know that the trick to making places feel lived-in is things on the wall, so I should really get more things like that, but I'm too self-conscious. I've had this empty movie frame sitting around until I figured out the perfect movie for it.

But then someone mentioned Six-String Samurai, and I remembered how that movie changed my life for the awesome.

Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:14 am

I've never even heard of Six String Samurai but I wholeheartedly approve of you having my husband on your wall (Mr. Norton).

By the way, from what I have seen of your place (not much at all), it looked considerably more homey than most places I've been in where men are the decorator, so kudos on that.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:06 pm

I keep wanting to put art or posters up. I'd love it if we had an Ursula Vernon print here, or a print of a medieval illumination to put up. I'm jealous of your wall decorations, Mich.

In related news, we've acquired a set of coasters. Residents' Weekend was last weekend, and the museums and city attractions were all free. Local guilds and groups take the opportunity to do outreach, and the Company of Cordwainers had a stack of black leather coasters with gold embossing. I think we were only supposed to take one each, but it was the end of the day and they had a huge stack still and they're odd enough that we'll probably hang onto them a long time (and thus lots of people will come to know about cordwainers).

Exciting, I know.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:41 am

Strangely enough, I got a set of coasters for Christmas, from my brother. I don't really need them, and they're easy enough to acquire on your own, I suppose, but I guess I mentioned it to my mom. So now I have coasters with a W on all of them! Only problem with having a last name that starts with a W is you can turn it upside-down to make it not-so-representative of your last name.

Row--row.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:36 pm

Our coasters are SO UGLY but they were given to David as a gift and they're serviceable and I can't bring myself to spend money on something as frivolous as aesthetically-pleasing coasters when there are so many other things that come first.

But they're fabric and embroidered with harsh metallic threads that scratch up our (cheap, Ikea) coffee table and they're a mix of both primary and neon colors and I LOATHE them.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Nehali Sophia
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nehali Sophia » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:15 pm

I keep wanting to put art or posters up. I'd love it if we had an Ursula Vernon print here, or a print of a medieval illumination to put up. I'm jealous of your wall decorations, Mich.

In related news, we've acquired a set of coasters. Residents' Weekend was last weekend, and the museums and city attractions were all free. Local guilds and groups take the opportunity to do outreach, and the Company of Cordwainers had a stack of black leather coasters with gold embossing. I think we were only supposed to take one each, but it was the end of the day and they had a huge stack still and they're odd enough that we'll probably hang onto them a long time (and thus lots of people will come to know about cordwainers).

Exciting, I know.
Okay, I think that is exciting! I love decor items that have a story behind them. So they're not just coasters that you'll got because you'll needed them and the Dollar Store had a blowout sale. In 10 years (when I hope that you'll are in Canada again), they'll be lying around and someone will comment on them, and you'll can say, "Yeah, we got those in England..." & then have a whole conversation on Resident's Weeks (what a neat idea!) and the Company of Cordwainers and who knows what else! (well, I'd probably start talking about missing out on the lavender ice-cream, but that's just me)

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:34 pm

(well, I'd probably start talking about missing out on the lavender ice-cream, but that's just me)
On which note, we popped by the ice cream shop and they said that so long as we gave them 24 hours' notice, they could make it for us on request once it is in season.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:41 am

Exciting, I know.
Okay, I think that is exciting! I love decor items that have a story behind them. So they're not just coasters that you'll got because you'll needed them and the Dollar Store had a blowout sale. In 10 years (when I hope that you'll are in Canada again), they'll be lying around and someone will comment on them, and you'll can say, "Yeah, we got those in England..." & then have a whole conversation on Resident's Weeks (what a neat idea!) and the Company of Cordwainers and who knows what else! (well, I'd probably start talking about missing out on the lavender ice-cream, but that's just me)
I know, that's why I didn't feel so bad about taking a whole set! Ten years from now, we'll still be telling people about cordwainers.

Know who else got into Residents' Weekend? Bettys. Free pot of tea with a York library card. Sweet!

ratesjul
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ratesjul » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:44 pm

(well, I'd probably start talking about missing out on the lavender ice-cream, but that's just me)
On which note, we popped by the ice cream shop and they said that so long as we gave them 24 hours' notice, they could make it for us on request once it is in season.
Not fair. Now I want Icecream.

Of course, that probably has something to do with the temperature around here as well, but it's easier to blame you guys. :twisted:

Nehali Sophia
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nehali Sophia » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:25 pm

YAAYY!!! When I get a job, I'm going to set up a travel fund, and as soon as I've enough money in that and zero balance on my line of credit, I'm coming for lavender ice-cream! And to visit you guys, I guess ;)
Know who else got into Residents' Weekend? Bettys. Free pot of tea with a York library card. Sweet!
Sweet!
Not fair. Now I want Icecream.

Of course, that probably has something to do with the temperature around here as well, but it's easier to blame you guys.
I'll take the blame for anything involving ice-cream, unless it's garlic ice-cream or something.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:01 pm

Look look look my new apartment!

Of course, the floorplan is nearly identical to my last one, but now it has DRAMATIC LIGHTING. (Not pictured: Alea's husbando. He's just to the left of the image). Since it was almost identical to my last one, I tried to not place anything in the same spot. I also had the goal of being able to view the TV and my computer screen at the same time. Goal: accomplished.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:02 pm

No worries about Mr. Alea; I'll see him, and your apartment, and you in October! Geez, is 2011 the greatest year ever, or what?

Your window rocks, by the way.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Mon May 09, 2011 5:17 pm

Our mural is finally done, as of today! Here it is, in its full glory!

"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:38 pm

That's awesome, Steph! I have a serious case of mural envy.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon May 09, 2011 6:05 pm

It's perfect!

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Mon May 09, 2011 6:29 pm

Thanks, guys! I am SO in love with it!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Tue May 10, 2011 2:10 am

That's kind of amazing.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue May 10, 2011 8:42 am

If I had made it, I would be able to do little but sit in the room and admire my work all day. People would say that I was full of myself, but would have to admit that it looks awesome.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue May 10, 2011 10:20 am

Ooh, I've been meaning to post these pics for awhile. Our original idea for our apartment was steampunk, but that didn't really pan out (due to budget and artistic ability restraints), but what we did decide to do was embrace Paul's studies.
We have decided to make our walls look like the margins in medieval manuscripts. We are slowly building our designs, but this is some of what we have so far:

We've tried to do abstract, with a few little characters/things scattered throughout, like this bird.

And the man pushing out on our horseshoe.

And this is a bigger shot of part of our wall, and our action figures... and pweb on my computer...

We've hidden a few things, too. There's a couple of subtle monkeys (monkeys are big on medieval manuscript margins - they represent the monks) as well as tributes to Buffy and Superman.

We keep adding more as we go, and I love it.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Tue May 10, 2011 4:46 pm

I call for jousting monkeys and penis trees!

(Yes, the margins of medieval prayer books were... fascinating places.)
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue May 10, 2011 6:28 pm

Are those Legos on your key holder thingie?
The enemy's fly is down.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue May 10, 2011 7:10 pm

Are those Legos on your key holder thingie?
Yes! It's a Lego Keyholder. The keychains are lego pieces and the holder is a strip of lego, so you just stick your keys on. It's the awesomest thing ever.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”