Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:30 pm

Somewhat related:
I am endlessly irritated that Forest Born didn't get the same art as the rest of the Books of Bayern. I keep it separate from the other three so I don't have to notice that they're not a matching set.
And in one of the more stupid moments of my youth, I threw away the dust cover for Goblet of Fire because it was ripped or some such nonsense. I did finally man up and buy Sorcerer's Stone in hard cover because the paperback looked so ridiculous with all the other ones, but I can't quite motivate myself to buy a whole new book to replace a dust cover. And really, if I'm going to replace one of them, it should be Chamber of Secrets since it's falling to pieces. Maybe I'll just steal my mother's and hope she doesn't notice....
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:30 pm

I get a guilty pleasure at reading (in my head) anything that's in caps as yelling.

Thus, any time Kelly writes book titles... she's yelling them at me. It's good advertising, I suppose.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:00 pm

I don't think this is irrational, but it is a HUGE irritation. I've been planning for FIVE DAYS to have a nap today. It's Brian's day off, so I was supposed to nap in peace for how ever long I wanted. (Yes, this is my life now. Planning around naps.) The day finally comes and I lay down for my glorious nap and some guy that the HOA apparently hired (but we don't know for sure, since they never told us) starts working on the roof and it's right about my bedroom!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:52 pm

Irrational Irritation = Online maps

In general, it's a somewhat useful tool but I get irritated at the distinct lack of pages to bend, fold, grip, etc.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:10 am

Guilty pleasures: chips, chocolate bars, popcorn with real melted butter, everything bad for you.
Irritation: that these are bad for you.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:45 pm

Yeah, yeah, double post, so sue me.

Irritation: American political adverts on my tv and radio. Geez, give it a break already, guys!
Irritation: The stupid gel thickener at work that never mixes all the way.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:41 am

Is this irrational?

I'm irritated by all the political posts on my Facebook newsfeed.

It's bad enough that I can no longer hope and look forward to Ms. SB 1070 is Great and Let's Not Teach Those Tucson (or any other AZ) Kids About Anything Other Than White History! Brewer getting the boot, since we've not inherited her this time but actually chose her as governor, I don't want to see all this talk about either side being more or less angry/bitter about pre- or post-election stuff.

Yeah, yeah, conservative/Republicans were angry before and it got them to the polls, liberals/Democrats are angry now is what I'm hearing but I don't want to hear all that, whether it's correct or not.

Keep your links to yourselves, people! I can't block you all.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:31 am

Imagine how irritating it is to find American politics everywhere you turn when you're not even American.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:59 pm

Imagine how irritating it is to find American politics everywhere you turn when you're not even American.
Oh God yeah. I had to go on a small personal boycott of a couple local radio/tv stations here just to preserve my sanity.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:02 pm

That's a big part of why I wish there were a limit of how early you lot can begin campaigning. That way I'd know the madness wouldn't be everywhere quite so long.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:46 pm

Try living in a three state media market. We get everything in triplicate. In some ways, I feel like I know the Kentucky and Illinois candidates better than I do my own Indiana ones.
The enemy's fly is down.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:06 pm

Didn't you know, Josh? Indiana is a Chicago suburb. The entire state. No harm from IL but you may want to look into that Kentucky nonsense.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:10 am

Irrational irritation: feeling hungry

At this hour it's hard to not be lazy about getting food, though...
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:55 pm

Naps. Oh god, naps.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:51 pm

Guilty pleasure: The Dr. Phil Show
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:36 am

Guilty pleasure: watching shows about professional cake bakers. (Ex. Cake Boss, The Ultimate Cake Off, and even Cupcake Wars)
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:47 am

When people use "everyday" instead of "every day" and vice-versa. ARGH.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:02 pm

Guilty pleasure: bakeries. I have taken to searching yelp.com for local bakeries with good reviews. And by local I mean anywhere near where I'm doing errands. And I always get like 5-6 things to try (tho I usually share with Mark).
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:41 am

I've been reading a lot of urban fantasy lately.

I wasn't aware I liked urban fantasy.

(I tried to balance it out with a mainstream science book that I read in an hour so I could get back to the werewolves. My choices...)
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:45 pm

I don't inherently like or dislike musical sampling, it varies by song, both the one sampled and the final product of the song sampling it. But two samples lately make me flat out annoyed, to an irrational level.

Travis McCoy's "We'll Be Alright" -sampling Supergrass' "Alright," as heard in Clueless- and BEP's "The Time," which samples Jennifer Warnes and Bill Medley's -half of the ever awesome Righteous Brothers- "(I'm Having) The Time of My Life," from Dirty Dancing of course.

Maybe I'm just getting irritated with how rampant all the sampling has gotten in the past few years.

Then again, I could venture away from pop music and this would be a considerably smaller, if not non-existent, issue. That would be the smart, easy thing to do and I can't have that.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:54 pm

Guilty Pleasure: Nibs.
Irrational Irritation: that I don't have a personal teleporter, so I have to take time to go places.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:55 pm

Irrational Irritation: As of this afternoon, the quick links at the top of my gmail no longer include my reader. I have to use the pull down menu and that's just not good enough for me!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:29 pm

Speaking of gmail, mine will no longer automatically sign me in! I have the little gmail, um...thingy at the bottom right of my browser that shows me when I have new emails. It used to be that when I clicked on it, it opened a new tab directly into my gmail inbox. Well, now it opens a new tab into a screen asking me to login to gmail. I have tried everything to make sure the settings are set to keep me logged in, etc. but it won't work (it does the same thing on my phone when I go to gmail, makes me sign in every time).

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:47 pm

It _might_ force you to log in when you're coming from a different machine (e.g., your desktop vs your phone). Unless it happens even when trying to do that immediately after signing in every time.

I don't know if they do indeed do that, but it makes a certain amount of sense for security purposes if they did.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:36 am

It doesn't, not in my case, at least; i log in from lab and home computer indifferently, and actually i usually keep my lab computer gmail tab open 24/7. Never had that kind of issue.

When you say you checked the settings, were you talking about gmail settings or the web browser settings?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:27 am

Nevermind, I figured out that it's something wrong with the Firefox Gmail checker. It keeps me logged in if I go to gmail directly.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:18 pm

This could go in the "Confessions" thread, but I figured it was irrational enough to go here instead.

I am disappointed that the discussion following my pictures had nothing to do with the pictures themselves. Rootbeer is nice but what about the tea set?

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:19 pm

funny that i'm going to respond about the pictures in this thread then: i'm not a tea set kind of guy. but i think the place looks very nice. i like the staircase.

by the way, i did think about the fact no one was responding to your pictures yesterday, and was going to say something. i know i don't like it when i share something like that and no one says anything. makes you feel oh so loved. which is indeed irrational because everyone loves everyone here pretty much.
Ubernaustrum

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:52 pm

Exactly! I know they do, and I know people have fun looking at pictures. But I'm glad you understand, even though it's irrational.

Nehali Sophia
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nehali Sophia » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:30 pm

I am disappointed that the discussion following my pictures had nothing to do with the pictures themselves. Rootbeer is nice but what about the tea set?
I have a question about the tea set. It's in the Nesting thread (hope I got that term right)

Also, I was really irritated that I couldn't just drag & drop my picture into the post for the January Photo Challenge. Then I got irritated that I had to open a web account as I had forgotten the name & password of my flicker account started a couple of years ago, and at how lazy I've been about getting a web album set up.

Thankfully, all the irritation disappeared with the successful posting of said picture.
The wonder that keeps the stars apart

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:21 pm

staircase
I thought it was lovely but also frightening, from the view underneath.

Are the steps supported once you get off the ground floor? I mean, obviously they are and I probably don't pay enough attention to other staircases but they look unstable or something, just hanging out in thin air.

As for the irrational bit, maybe I'm weird but I'm not so sure it is. I'm possibly confusing rational with understandable but I'm going to go with not irrational.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:25 pm

you don't think it's irrational to feel unloved at pweb if people don't comment on your photos?

it's pweb. if there's like 5 people that never have to worry about feeling unloved around here it's (in no specific order) EL, GD, jayelle, young val and luet. and that's just to name a few of you.
Ubernaustrum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:02 pm

I don't think it was really about the photos, though. She was sharing something personal and it got sidestepped in favor of something marginal.

I think it wouldn't have been anything at all to talk about both but to effectively ignore the bigger part of it, especially when that was the point of the thread in the first place, well, it doesn't seem irrational to me. I'm perfectly willing to admit, however, that I might be wrong on that count. I never seem to know when I've crossed the boundary between rational and irrational and will over-think things to the point of further confusing myself, trying to sort that out.

And I don't know...whether or not the people you mentioned (or anyone else) should feel that way in general is kind of besides the point. Sometimes you just do and I don't think that's strange at all, though it sucks something fierce that anyone ever does.

I just want to add, I love that you spoke up, Ali. I respect the hell out of that sort of honesty. 8)

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:46 pm

Guilty pleasure: I got my dog a buster cube she has to play with to get her food out of. Its hilarious to watch her work so hard! Maybe this will help with the separation anciety barking.
-Kim

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:45 am

Irrational Irritation: As of this afternoon, the quick links at the top of my gmail no longer include my reader. I have to use the pull down menu and that's just not good enough for me!
I keep going to photos instead. It is quite annoying.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”