Radio Host Fired for Racist Remarks

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

Should he have been sacked

Yes
44%
No, he shouldn't have been punished at all
13%
No, but he should have had some other sort of punishment
44%

Total votes: 16

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Radio Host Fired for Racist Remarks

Postby hive_king » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:27 am

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nati ... tests.html

Shock Jock and radio host Don Imus has been fired from CBS after referring to Rutgers Women's Basketball team as a bunch of "nappy-headed ho's". Do you think he should have been fired for his remarks?
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:21 pm

I used to listen to Imus occasionally about 12 years ago...and grew out of it. I have a hard time believing that he hasn't said things as bad as or worse than this in the past. I don't think it was okay, but neither are a lot of things that are said in the media. I think people know what they will hear when the tune into these types of programs.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:52 pm

I've heard some claims that he has made similar statements in the past, but at the same time, I haven't seen any quotes or anything, just a general "this is the kind of thing he says".

I am really frustrated by the reaction to this case. I'm sure many people actually were hurt and offended, but it seems like a lot of people saw this as an opportunity to climb up on their high horses and show some good, moral outrage. My main problem with their firing of him is that they claim they're doing it on moral grounds, but if it hadn't been for the public outcry, there's no way he would have been fired; suspended, maybe. He was fired because they didn't want to be caught in the public displeasure. Which as a company is perfectly legitimate, if they don't try to pretend that it was a moral decision.

I am happy that it's started people talking, and actually thinking about what's okay, and what situations certain language is appropriate in (if it's appropriate in any situation).

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”