A new type of matter?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Soldier
Soldier

A new type of matter?

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:58 am

Or, "The universe is a string-net liquid"
In 1998, just after he won a share of the Nobel prize for physics, Robert Laughlin of Stanford University in California was asked how his discovery of "particles" with fractional charge, now called quasi-particles, would affect the lives of ordinary people. "It probably won't," he said, "unless people are concerned about how the universe works."

Well, people were. Xiao-Gang Wen at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Michael Levin at Harvard University ran with Laughlin's ideas and have come up with a prediction for a new state of matter, and even a tantalising picture of the nature of space-time itself. Levin presented their work at the Topological Quantum Computing conference at the University of California, Los Angeles, early this month.

The first hint that a new type of matter may exist came in 1983. "Twenty five years ago we thought we understood everything about how matter changes phase," says Wen. "Then along came an experiment that opened up a whole new world."

In the experiment, electrons moving in the interface between two semiconductors behaved as though they were made up of particles with only a fraction of the electron's charge. This so-called fractional quantum hall effect (FQHE) suggested that electrons may not be elementary particles after all. However, it soon became clear that electrons under certain conditions can congregate in a way that gives them the illusion of having fractional charge - an explanation that earned Laughlin, Horst Störmer and Daniel Tsui the Nobel prize (New Scientist, 31 January 1998, p 36).

Wen suspected that the effect could be an example of a new type of matter. Different phases of matter are characterised by the way their atoms are organised. In a liquid, for instance, atoms are randomly distributed, whereas atoms in a solid are rigidly positioned in a lattice. FQHE systems are different. "If you take a snapshot of the position of electrons in an FQHE system they appear random and you think you have a liquid," says Wen. But step back, and you see that, unlike in a liquid, the electrons dance around each other in well-defined steps.

It is as if the electrons are entangled. Today, physicists use the term to describe a property in quantum mechanics in which particles can be linked despite being separated by great distances. Wen speculated that FQHE systems represented a state of matter in which entanglement was an intrinsic property, with particles tied to each other in a complicated manner across the entire material.
Emphasis mine. A minor EG connection. If this at all interests you, you should read the whole article here: http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg1 ... iquid.html

Not only for its theoretical possibilities, but for its physical application as the "new" silicon for building quantum computers.
"By means of meditation we can teach our minds to be calm and balanced; within this calmness is a richness and a potential, an inner knowledge which can render our lives boundlessly satisfying and meaningful." - Tarthang Tulku

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:29 am

Yes, when i first read EG and sequels, i imagined the philotes as an offshot of quantum entaglement. Sadly, in the real world, it's theoretically impossible to use the entaglement to transmit information faster then light.

Matty
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Matty » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:11 am

Obviously this is a hoax -- the only states of matter mentioned in the Bible are solid, liquid, and gas, and any attempt to create a new state is nothing more than an attack on people of faith.

Well, I tried -- but I really think this thread belongs in the Science section. :D

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:14 am

I wonder how long before this is used to try and explain Dark matter and Dark Energy...?
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:12 am

*shakes head furiously*
Dark matter and dark energy do not exist!!! >_<
The apparent lack of mass of the universe is a product of the structure of the gravity interaction (cosmological constant)!!! >_<

^ Example of the room for irrational beliefs inside the mind of a scientist, when talking about science, lol :D

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:23 am

Didn't they finally FIND dark matter just recently?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:49 am

That's what I thought.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:48 pm

jota,

That's OK. I hate dark matter (and energy), too.

There, there.

EL,

That's the beauty of dark matter--you can't find it!
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:56 pm

Actually, they didn't really find dark matter. What they found is the track (in bubble chamber shots) of a certain particle whose properties are roughly similar to the properties of a candidate particle for dark matter. Well, for exotic dark matter (because formally speaking, we are chunks of dark matter, too, since we do not shine).

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:05 pm

I thought that Dark Matter was dark because it cannot be detected (directly, at least), not becasue it doesn't "shine."
--Boothby

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:43 pm

Well, that's actually the same thing. The only way we can detect matter along the universe directly is because of its radiation. If some chunk of matter doesn't radiate enough to be detected, it qualifies as dark matter.
Of course, when they say "dark matter", they are usually talking about the "exotic dark matter", that is, the non-barionic dark matter (barions are the common particles that are made up of 2 or 3 quarks, for example heavy bosons (carriers of nuclear strong and weak interactions), neutrons and protons.
This exotic dark matter usually refers to particles whose existence isn't yet experimentally proved. So far, the only exotic dark matter that has been proved to exist (that i know of) are the neutrinos with mass. Other exotic particles would be magnetic monopoles and supersymmetric particles.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:01 pm

Well, if you put it that way...

I'm still bothered by it...
--Boothby

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:24 pm

Crap, I didn't realize I posted this in the Religion forum. It should be in the Science one.
"By means of meditation we can teach our minds to be calm and balanced; within this calmness is a richness and a potential, an inner knowledge which can render our lives boundlessly satisfying and meaningful." - Tarthang Tulku

Return to “Milagre Town Square”