Death penalty for serious criminal offenders

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

What is your position on the death penalty for serious criminal offenders?

For
46%
Against
42%
Abstain
13%

Total votes: 24

Julius Caesar
Launchie
Launchie

Death penalty for serious criminal offenders

Postby Julius Caesar » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:22 pm

This punishment being applied to dangerous criminals who have not shown any respect whatsoever to society and could be accused of high treason to humanity. For instance, war criminals, pederasts, heads of drug traffic cartels, kidnappers, rapists, serial killers, grave cases of corruption (e.g. politicians), etc.
------

These criminals can still pose a danger while imprisioned, not to mention that their death would protect society from further crimes that they might commit. Also, it is the people who have suffered their attrocities who have to pay their food and water while being in prision.
Furthermore, they have lost their rights by their grave violations to the rights of their victims.

This punishment would make justice to their crimes comitted - something that law does not always seek.

It is important to notice that for this punishment to work efectively we need a fairer criminal justice system where the facts of the crime matter more than the quality of legal representation.

What do you think?
Former "Spinoza"

"Veni, vidi, vici".

"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them."
- Isaac Asimov

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:11 pm

I am against capital punishment. For one thing, it hasn't been shown to be an effective deterrent. States without the death penalty have just as high murder rates as states without.
These criminals can still pose a danger while imprisioned, not to mention that their death would protect society from further crimes that they might commit.
So would locking them up for life. The chance of a prison break is very small, especially with modern prisons. I've been on tours of the infamous Folsom Prison, and there is no way in hell someone's getting out. And they can harm other inmates, but there's solitary for people like that. Also, its cheaper to lock them up for life. In our court system, there's a ton of appeals and systems in place to make sure an innocent person isn't executed. The appeals and whatnot end up more expensive than feeding them for life.

This brings me to another problem with execution. There is a chance that an innocent person could be executed. This would be an amazing failing of the justice system. There have been cases of new evidence coming up and people being let off of death row.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Julius Caesar
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Julius Caesar » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:32 pm

The chance of a prison break is very small, especially with modern prisons.
That is in the US. Here we have had several drug dealers who have been able to escape. Besides, I am not talking about the death penalty as a deterrent, but as a way to get rid once and for all of some very undesireable people.

Regarding the execution of an innocent people:
There are many drug dealers and leaders of organized crime who are very well known, but because of a lousy criminal justice system they are not even arrested! Also, it is true that with the ineptitude and corruption that exists in the courts (at least here and in many other countries worldwide) innocent people could be executed.
But what if all the evidence points towards the person being guilty? For example, here there is a famous case of a pederast called Succar Kuri very well known thanks to the journalist Lydia Cacho who wrote a book about his crimes (he is now in jail, but she is being prosecuted for difamation!)

EDIT: grammar
Former "Spinoza"

"Veni, vidi, vici".

"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them."
- Isaac Asimov

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:08 am

You would need to lower the caution of the courts that an innocent might be executed, however unlikely their innocence is. Until you can do that, it will still be not economically feasible and money could be better placed elsewhere. It comes down to what will cost more: chancing the prisoner will escape and commit further crimes (more cases, time lost, looking into the escape, et cetera), or going through the appeals process for every single situation where the death penalty might likey be pushed for.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:27 am

State-sanctioned murder is still murder. We do not have the right to kill people, no matter what they have done to deserve it.

Then there's the practical issues:
The cost of an execution exceeding the cost of life imprisonment.
The possibility of wrongful conviction.
The racism prevalent in sentencing (a black muderer is more likely to be executed than a white murderer).

I'll also add in here my depression over the erosion of judicial safeguards and requists in the States. I don't have any certainty that any trial will proceed with due process, which makes me even more leery of applying a death sentence to anyone convicted.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Darn Red Shells!

Postby lyons24000 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:18 am

The chance of a prison break is very small, especially with modern prisons.
Hive_King, you are so narrow-minded. Is the USA the only country on earth? :P
"This must be the end, then."-MorningLightMountain, Judas Unchained

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:32 am

the only one that matters.
Ubernaustrum

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:23 pm

Actually, that is probably true of all first-world countries. So methinks 'tis thee, lyons, who is the narrow-minded one :P
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:24 pm

Is the USA the only country on earth? :P

Of course not. Kings must have a kingdom, you know. :wink:
Yay, I'm a llama again!

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:09 am

The Death Penalty

Oooh, what an important topic! Capital punishment! Wow!

Here's the lowdown: the Death Penalty is a non-issue. Seriously. Who. Cares.

Do you know how many people were executed last year?

That's right people. More people die from alcohol each year than execution. As many people who die by the hands of the state die by the cruel hand of Zeus's mighty lightning bolts. BEES AND HORNETS AND WASPS kills as many people as the executioner. And yet, every year we have the same monstrous argument about the execution of convicted murderers and rapists. More innocent American soldiers died in Iraq LAST MONTH than in a whole year of executions. Methinks we should probably get our priorities straight before getting involved in capital punishment.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:44 am

Again, "innocent soldiers". I cringe every time i see that.

A person who dies is called innocent if that death is brought upon them unfairly or undeservedly.
A soldier's death is probably undeserved. But you can hardly say it is unfair that a soldier dies in a war. That's why they enroll: do die for their country if needed.
And specially in the case of America, where serving the army is completely voluntary.
And specially coming from a person who doesn't consider civilian victims to be innocent at all (strawman anyone?).

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:47 am

Again, "innocent soldiers". I cringe every time i see that.

A person who dies is called innocent if that death is brought upon them unfairly or undeservedly.
A soldier's death is probably undeserved. But you can hardly say it is unfair that a soldier dies in a war. That's why they enroll: do die for their country if needed.
And specially in the case of America, where serving the army is completely voluntary.
And specially coming from a person who doesn't consider civilian victims to be innocent at all (strawman anyone?).
WOAH, WAIT. When in the hell did I say civilian victims weren't innocent? I vehemently protest your assumption that I think that, or ever said it.

SECONDLY, your post has abso-f***ing-lutely nothing to do with the topic.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:54 am

I'm arguing it because someone brought it up. And because I believe that just because there are other ways people die or are killed it doesn't mean I can't care about those who are executed.

Life to me should be protected, even if it's just a single solitary life. I think it's Schindler's List wherein one of the characters says "to save one life is to save the world entire." So if even just one person was executed last year, I'd still think it's wrong.

If you want to argue that capital punishment is a legitimate sentence for certain crimes, we can argue that. But I just want to clarify my motives here.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:58 am

I believe capital punishment to be wrong. For differing reasons, but still wrong. Right now, unfortunately, we have much bigger problems to deal with than execution.

Edit: Additionally, the amount of space given in the public debate to the topic is unwarranted IMO. Until we can keep people who have done nothing wrong from dying, I won't spend my time trying to keep murderers and rapists from being put to death - even if they shouldn't be killed anymore than anyone else.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:02 am

In discussions about Palestine-Israel conflict, or the Hamas-Israel war in Lebanon. You said that civilians were given plenty of warning, and that if they died it was their fault.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:03 am

Just out of curiosity, what are your reasons?

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:03 am

In discussions about Palestine-Israel conflict, or the Hamas-Israel war in Lebanon. You said that civilians were given plenty of warning, and that if they died it was their fault.
WHAT? I don't even remember a discussion about the Palestinian-Isreali conflict!

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:05 am

Just out of curiosity, what are your reasons?
1. The death penalty is not an effective deterrent (which is its only possible goal.) 2. It is not cost-effective. 3. It disproportionately affects racial minorities. 4. It gives power over the human life to the states, which is an egregious breach of human rights.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:07 am

I just need to check and make sure the end of the world hasn't started. What is with this sudden spate of agreeing with each other? This is really amusing me.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:10 am

WHAT? I don't even remember a discussion about the Palestinian-Isreali conflict!
humm... are you sure of that? :?:
I am certain i have argued about that with you...
:!: :?:

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:12 am

Hell has not frozen over just yet. I still have yet to particpate in the "hugs" thread. ;)

And jota, perhaps then you should start a thread about the conflict so we can argue it now (since I'm almost positive we haven't done so here.)

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:27 am

uh... so you are not bc_hornet or hawkblaze? :?:

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:31 am

uh... so you are not bc_hornet or hawkblaze? :?:
Neither. The two "extra" usernames I use here are probably already known to the mods - but just a warning, I am not the only person using either of them.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:31 am

bc's got a totally different style.

My suspicion is that Miguel Ardevaas is bc. The style is closer. I got no proof either way, though.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:49 am

Ok. Sorry, my mistake.

Julius Caesar
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Julius Caesar » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:19 pm

EL,
We do not have the right to kill people, no matter what they have done to deserve it.
But in the case of those villains you may treat it as self-defence, because you are trying to protect society from their crimes, as well as doing justice for what they did. Not to mention that some of them can barely be considered human, if at all.
Although I admit I do get confused about the issue of the "right to live".
The racism prevalent in sentencing (a black muderer is more likely to be executed than a white murderer).
I agree. But hypothetically, if those who are in charge of the sentence are really fair and objective and there is clear evidence to support the person's guilt, would it then be right to execute him? Again, I think the bottom line is if we have the right to take the life of another.

AnthonyB,
1. The death penalty is not an effective deterrent (which is its only possible goal.)
What about seeking for justice, and protecting society from them?
Former "Spinoza"

"Veni, vidi, vici".

- Isaac Asimov

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:38 pm

Locking someone away for life is still less expensive and will deter people just as much as the death penalty.

As for your barely human argument, you are treading on VERY thin ice here. As soon as one person has less value than another, you are just begging for trouble. It is far safer to assume that everyone is equally human and that some people simply choose to do more wicked things than others. There is an intrinsic value to human life which can not be altered by their actions. And if this intrinsic value exists, it is equally wrong to kill a prisoner as it is to kill others who can not defend themselves. (And let me warn you now, anything suggesting that some humans have lesser value than others, especially when it comes to a general societal perspective, implies that the mentally disabled are worth less than others and you do NOT want to suggest that anywhere where it might get back to EL. Trust me on this. It is not worth your life.)
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:13 pm

EL,
We do not have the right to kill people, no matter what they have done to deserve it.
But in the case of those villains you may treat it as self-defence, because you are trying to protect society from their crimes, as well as doing justice for what they did. Not to mention that some of them can barely be considered human, if at all.
Although I admit I do get confused about the issue of the "right to live".
Self defence only applies when there is immediate and severe danger. If you attack me with a knife, I will defend myself. I won't try to kill you, because I still don't have the right to, but you might die anyway. I won't be guilty of murder, but I still had no right to kill you.

If there is no immediate and severe danger, you cannot use the excuse of "self-defence." You can protect society just as well by locking them away.

A criminal is human. They do not suddenly become animals. They are not animals. Denying someone's humanity only displays your own lack. We are the most human, the most civilised and ethical, when we resist the urge to treat other human beings like animals.
I agree. But hypothetically, if those who are in charge of the sentence are really fair and objective and there is clear evidence to support the person's guilt, would it then be right to execute him? Again, I think the bottom line is if we have the right to take the life of another.
Problem is, that doesn't happen. There's no way to ensure it, and there is never going to be a zero probability of an innocent man being killed. So your argument is moot. We do not have the means to ensure an innocent man isn't killed, so we have no business killing anyone.
AnthonyB,
1. The death penalty is not an effective deterrent (which is its only possible goal.)
What about seeking for justice, and protecting society from them?
As many people have said, society is amply protected by putting criminals in jail. Murder, even state-sanctioned, is never just. The justice system isn't here so you can get your rocks off by killing someone.

Julius Caesar
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Julius Caesar » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:53 pm

Rei,
(And let me warn you now, anything suggesting that some humans have lesser value than others, especially when it comes to a general societal perspective, implies that the mentally disabled are worth less than others and you do NOT want to suggest that anywhere where it might get back to EL. Trust me on this. It is not worth your life.)
Ok, but do not put words in my mouth, the idea of the mentally disabled had not even crossed my mind. And just to clarify, I am not someone who does not care for the lives of others - it is precisely those lives which I'm talking about protecting from harm.
And I have aknowledged your arguments (both yours and EL's), and agree with most, although I'm still trying to rearange my thoughts.

I liked what EL said: "We are the most human, the most civilised and ethical, when we resist the urge to treat other human beings like animals. " You are right.

However:
The justice system isn't here so you can get your rocks off by killing someone.
OK, but let's also notice that sometimes it seems that the justice system is not there at all. Getting back to the example of the pederast - the journalist is being prosecuted for difamation!!! I mean, most of the time the law is on the side of the person who has power and money and a good legal representation. Law does not always equals justice.
So even when you argue that an innocent might be executed, what about all the innocents that are now in jail? The law has dishonored them and robbed them of their reputation, which for some it does not matter, and for others (like the Orientals) it is the most important thing they have - honour.

Edit: spelling
Former "Spinoza"

"Veni, vidi, vici".

- Isaac Asimov

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:37 pm

What about all the innocents in jail? They're in jail. They aren't dead. They have hope of being exonerated and compensated.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:26 pm

Ok, but do not put words in my mouth, the idea of the mentally disabled had not even crossed my mind. And just to clarify, I am not someone who does not care for the lives of others - it is precisely those lives which I'm talking about protecting from harm.
I did not think you had thought of that, but I thought I ought to warn you just in case, because they are treated as sub-human or even animals. And when a scale of human value is introduced, this becomes assumed. We've done very well at trying to make equal both race and sex, but there are groups that are still seen as less than human and when one group is pointed out as such, my first concern is that the others may be seen that way. I am glad that you do take concern for them.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:46 am

An innocent person in jail can be let free. They can be given a pardon if evidence comes up in the future to show they're innocent. If someone's dead, and evidence comes up, all you can do is say "oh wow, we fowled up. sorry!" Also, you can reclaim your honor, earn it back like that watergate guy or tookie williams (a former gangmember who ended up writing books warning kids to stay out of gangs, before the state of California executed him) did. If you're dead, all you can do is decompose.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:21 am

If someone's dead, and evidence comes up, all you can do is say "oh wow, we fowled up. sorry!"
Where's the chicken smilie when I need him?

Julius Caesar
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Julius Caesar » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:15 pm

Yeah...that's true...although when it is the powerful and rich who blame an innocent, it will be difficult for him to get out...
Former "Spinoza"

"Veni, vidi, vici".

- Isaac Asimov

ti_ama
Launchie
Launchie

Postby ti_ama » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:02 pm

. It is far safer to assume that everyone is equally human and that some people simply choose to do more wicked things than others. There is an intrinsic value to human life which can not be altered by their actions.
I have to disagree that with the assumption that everyone is equally human. Throughout history people have proved exactly the opposite. There are many people who deserve the death penalty. Hitler, Stalin, Bin Laden, Pickton, the terrorists of 911.. IMO anyone who takes away the rights of others for their own motives instantly strips themselves of any rights guaranteed by their government.

On a moral note, disregarding money, innocence, etc; I think that EVERY serial killer/rapist/pedophile deserves nothing more than a long fall on the end of a short rope. Bottom line. You can discuss how much it would cost, debate the innocence of the convicted, question if racism was involved; but the fact remains that those animals who commited these crimes should be executed.

That's my opinion, for what it's worth.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”