Marijuana...

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:17 am

That doesn't make any sense, though. NORML spends their time doing REAL RESEARCH on marijuana. Anywhere else you go, it's just going to be someone's opinion.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:18 am

That doesn't make any sense, though. NORML spends their time doing REAL RESEARCH on marijuana. Anywhere else you go, it's just going to be someone's opinion.
My meaning is that you should find independent research that verifies this information. Members of NORML are dedicated to legalization - and just like any other special interest group, they are going to skew the data and conclusions to their own agenda.

In addition, the Society for Neuroscience wasn't saying AT ALL that smoking marijuana doesn't kill brain cells - what they said was that treating certain neural diseases (like Parkinsons and ALS) with treatments BASED on cannibinoids could grow brain cells. There is a HUGE difference between using a substance recreationally and a medicine-treatment using compunds LIKE that substance. Like the fact that morphine is not the same as heroin. Get it?

ti_ama
Launchie
Launchie

Postby ti_ama » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:02 pm

Umm...I don't know what gives you the idea that spouting out a bunch of sarcastic lies makes my comment false...but you're very, very wrong.
It gives you a little idea of how stupid it sounds when you spew incorrect "facts" about something.

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:24 pm

Umm...I don't know what gives you the idea that spouting out a bunch of sarcastic lies makes my comment false...but you're very, very wrong.
It gives you a little idea of how stupid it sounds when you spew incorrect "facts" about something.
I didn't, though.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:35 pm

My meaning is that you should find independent research that verifies this information. Members of NORML are dedicated to legalization - and just like any other special interest group, they are going to skew the data and conclusions to their own agenda.
Understand?
In addition, the Society for Neuroscience wasn't saying AT ALL that smoking marijuana doesn't kill brain cells - what they said was that treating certain neural diseases (like Parkinsons and ALS) with treatments BASED on cannibinoids could grow brain cells. There is a HUGE difference between using a substance recreationally and a medicine/treatment using compunds LIKE that substance. Like the fact that morphine is not the same as heroin. Get it?

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:50 am

Yeah, you have a point. But two problems interfere with it:

1) In the U.S., studying marijuana is illegal. So any serious scientists don't touch it for fear of losing their careers, unless they dedicate their careers to it. That's what NORML has done. So, in a way, NORML is the only real place to get genuine statistics. I wish it weren't so.

However, in and of itself, the fact that the American government doesn't want marijuana studied, should tell you they're trying to hide the truth.

2) For the messages I've posted to this forum, I haven't really done any additional research. I just simply say things mostly off the top of my head, re-read, and post. I KNOW this isn't an effective way of arguing, but I don't have the time to do in-depth research for every post I make here :( SOO, for that sort of thing, people will have to check out my blog which is quite often of the issues we've debated here.

www.luminousnerd.com

</shameless plug>

So, yea.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:56 am

There are a lot of countries in the world aside from America. Believe it or not, they have scientists, too.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:58 am

There are a lot of countries in the world aside from America. Believe it or not, they have scientists, too.
*GASP* SAY IT AIN'T SO!

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:07 am

However, in and of itself, the fact that the American government doesn't want marijuana studied, should tell you they're trying to hide the truth.
I should really watch out. The Man is tryin' to bring me down.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:51 am

Having read approximately nothing in this thread, I would like to share:

11 Misconceptions about Marijuana

Read it through. Very interesting

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:59 am

Having read approximately nothing in this thread, I would like to share:

11 Misconceptions about Marijuana

Read it through. Very interesting
Already posted.

You are the weakest link.

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:07 am

America has a lot of them, though. And most countries prohibit the study of marijuana. The only countries that don't are smallish ones, generally lacking many serious scientists.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:18 am

So, England, Netherlands, Japan, etc, are "smallish countries" that "generally lack many serious scientists"? Your generalisations are showing.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:10 am

Luminous, I don't know if you're a college or a high school student, but it would be highly to your benefit when you are at the college level to take a logic and critical reasoning class. I am not posting this to insult you or belittle you, it just seems to me that you haven't fully learned how to spot or explain logical fallicies, and could use the lessons in this class. Trust me, taking that class would make you a much better debater than you are now.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:41 am

My problem is that I get worked up in conversation with others. I can do fine if I am given a few weeks to do a large essay, but when it comes to back-and-forth debating I am poor. This is why I urge people to pay more attention to the marijuana-related posts on my blog than me on this forum.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:28 pm

In that case an argumentation and debate class would definately help you improve. Most institutions have them.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:41 pm

I agree.

I'm in high school, 11th grade. It's highly specialized for film and there's no debate. In college I doubt I'll have extra cash to spend on a debate class, but maybe.
Knowledge is bliss. Ignorance just doesn't know what bliss means.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:41 pm

My problem is that I get worked up in conversation with others. I can do fine if I am given a few weeks to do a large essay, but when it comes to back-and-forth debating I am poor.
Hmm. I'm just the opposite. I thrive in back and forth. Funny. I was just thinking about this.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:44 pm

:roll:

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:54 pm

No you don't, fetus.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:06 pm

My problem is that I get worked up in conversation with others. I can do fine if I am given a few weeks to do a large essay, but when it comes to back-and-forth debating I am poor. This is why I urge people to pay more attention to the marijuana-related posts on my blog than me on this forum.
... does that mean that you would be using different "facts" if you were writing a paper?

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:22 pm

... does that mean that you would be using different "facts" if you were writing a paper?
...huh?

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:08 pm

No you don't, fetus.
Well, I find that I do much better expressing what I'm trying to say when people are challenging my statements and requesting clarification. Writing it all out as a single piece, I feel that I do much more poorly.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:30 pm

Then, please, never ever write it out.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:43 pm

Mellonballer, you fail at lulz.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:44 pm

what is/are lulz?
Yay, I'm a llama again!

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:45 pm

...huh?
Well, some of the issue is that the "facts" you're stating are just plain wrong. So would you be using facts that are, well, facts if you weren't in a debate?

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:39 am

...huh?
Well, some of the issue is that the "facts" you're stating are just plain wrong. So would you be using facts that are, well, facts if you weren't in a debate?
I haven't said very much if anything that was proven untrue, you just are against my opinion, so you're saying my facts are wrong. From my standpoint, it looks like yours are.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:56 am

You have a very short memory. On this very page: "America has a lot of them (scientists), though. And most countries prohibit the study of marijuana. The only countries that don't are smallish ones, generally lacking many serious scientists", which was obviously bullCRAP. Here's a little mental excercise for you - go through the pages of this thread and re-read all the tripe and trumped up "facts" you've posted. You'll (hopefully) realize how much of what you've said is untrue.

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:01 am

You have a very short memory. On this very page: "America has a lot of them (scientists), though. And most countries prohibit the study of marijuana. The only countries that don't are smallish ones, generally lacking many serious scientists", which was obviously bullCRAP. Here's a little mental excercise for you - go through the pages of this thread and re-read all the tripe and trumped up "facts" you've posted. You'll (hopefully) realize how much of what you've said is untrue.
It's not bullcrap.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:10 am

Proof plz.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:56 am

hey wait wait wait...
USA forbids research on cannabis? :shock:
uh... how?
Cannabis is just a plant... how are they prohibiting research on a plant, specially a plant that has a psychotropic chemical (that is, a chemical that is potentially useful in medicine).

And i can tell you that Spain allows it, and Spain does have scientist (we don't have money, but that's another matter altogether).

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:09 am

Don't worry about it Jota - he's being an idiot. Since he's clearly not trying at all, I don't feel bad insulting him.

The US does not prohibit research or study on it. Like the other common research/study misconception about the US (stem cells), the government merely prohibits the use of federal money to fund it. Meaning that they are studied and researched, simply without the aid of federal funds. While it would be nice to have tax dollars going to a potentially medically worthy cause, it's neither necessary nor relevant to the discussion.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:22 am

You guys are lucky, anyway, to have so much private money going into research.
For some reason the mindset of companies over here (Spain, i mean) is different. Many CEOs think that their companies should work the same way they have always worked... reseaching would only make them obsolete ( :shock: ).
Yeah, so sad. About a century ago, a Spanish philosopher summarized this mindset "Let the others invent!".
Over here, if you cut public money on research... you'd have no research.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:23 am

Capitalism is the answer.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”