Books before seeing movie?

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
th3rmal
Launchie
Launchie

Books before seeing movie?

Postby th3rmal » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:40 am

I'm new to the Enders series and trying not to read to much into forums so I dont spoil anything, I'm sorry if this has been askedbefore.

I just finished listening to the first book, and at the end the author had a nice history of his inspiration. He mentions that Enders Shadow follows the story of Bean at the same time frame of Enders Game.

I was going to listen to the next book in order, speaker of the dead I think it is.. .but after I heard what the author said, and the little that I've seen about the movie, I'm wondering if I should read enders Shadow first?

If I read that one, Enders shadow, is it going to spoil anything from all the book in between?

Thanks,

chriswen
Launchie
Launchie

Re: Books before seeing movie?

Postby chriswen » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:21 pm

I'm quite sure it won't spoil anything.

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:38 am

I'm new to the Enders series and trying not to read to much into forums so I dont spoil anything, I'm sorry if this has been askedbefore.

I just finished listening to the first book, and at the end the author had a nice history of his inspiration. He mentions that Enders Shadow follows the story of Bean at the same time frame of Enders Game.

I was going to listen to the next book in order, speaker of the dead I think it is.. .but after I heard what the author said, and the little that I've seen about the movie, I'm wondering if I should read enders Shadow first?

If I read that one, Enders shadow, is it going to spoil anything from all the book in between?

Thanks,

chriswen is right it dosen't spoil anything. Ender's Shadow follows Bean both before Ender meets him, during their time at battle/command school, and a bit after (if im not mistakin). I always reqremend reading the Ender series first then the Shadow series just because of Ender's story. Plus with Shadow of the Hegemon and Shadow Giants you'll want a bit more of Ender's work and story for come of the context in the later Shadow series.

Past that, you'll love Ender's Shadow and the series behind it, it's my favorite book after Ender's Game.
Pweb member since 2002

"Remember kids...A smart man knows when...to run like a little bi**h"
-Desert Punk

BenMcLean
Launchie
Launchie

Postby BenMcLean » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:09 pm

The nice thing about the Enderverse is that after reading Ender's game, you can move about with your reading in time in any direction without spoilers :D

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:31 pm

BenMcLean that is a great point
Pweb member since 2002

"Remember kids...A smart man knows when...to run like a little bi**h"
-Desert Punk

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:12 am

The nice thing about the Enderverse is that after reading Ender's game, you can move about with your reading in time in any direction without spoilers :D
Except that the end of Ender in Exile, the direct sequel/parallel novel to Ender's Game, has serious spoilers for Shadow of the Giant--the fourth book in the Shadow series.

I always answer this question the same way. If you're wondering what to read next, you'll have to think about why you liked Ender's Game. If you like the fast pace, adventure elements of the novel, and want to continue reading about Bean, Petra, Alai, Dink, etc., then read the Shadow series (Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, and Shadow of the Giant). If, however, you were more interested in the moral complexities, the ideas of genocide/xenocide, themes of innocence lost, and issues of PTSD, then I'd recommend the Speaker series (Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind). You really can't go wrong either way.

-Craig

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”