Anne McCaffrey passes away

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Anne McCaffrey passes away

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:05 pm

I don't know if we had a topic about this yet, but I couldn't find one via google.....somehow I just found out, and I was shocked/saddened.

She's the only author who comes close to taking up the same amount of my shelf space as OSC (they probably have about a quarter of it between them).
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Re: Anne McCaffrey passes away

Postby Mich » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:40 pm

I was so sad no one in my office knew who she was. I only ever read the Dragonsong trilogy, and didn't know there WAS any more to the series, but they were among my favorite books growing up.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:18 am

Woah, really, you only read the trilogy with Menolly/Piemur?
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:44 am

I'm not sure how much of the series I ever read or which ones specifically anymore but it was somewhere in the ballpark of 7 or so books; the less focus or even mention of Lessa and the others mentioned in Dragonflight, the harder it was for me to continue caring. I do, however, have very fond memories of sitting in my car during 7th period, a free period for me but a class for my little brother, with the window down, the seat dropped back, and a Pern novel in my hands. I was a senior in high school and at that point, I was sure I was more of a SF/F fan than any other genre but I was still new enough to need our local teen librarian to point me towards the series.

I think I was more shocked than sad when I first heard about this over on SR.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:02 pm

I'm surprised you are only just now hearing this, I remember hearing it a few weeks ago. I'm pretty bummed out. I have (literally) read all of her books. In the last few years, though her son Todd has been doing the continuation of the Pern series.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:18 pm

I was surprised I found out so late as well, since I try to keep up on such things...

I haven't read ALL of her books, but I've read a very significant fraction thereof. I tried her collaboration with Todd on Dragon's Kin, and possibly Dragonsblood as well. They were enjoyable, but didn't have quite the same feel as her own work. I've been leery of delving too deep into Todd's latter work for feer it will mess with my memories of classic Pern.
Last edited by elfprince13 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:37 pm

That's what re-reading is for!
Yay, I'm a llama again!

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:41 pm

I still have Dinosaur Planet Survivors unread on my shelf, so I'm looking forward to crunching through that on break =)

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:35 pm

Assuming you've read the first one, it's absolutely wonderful.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:17 pm

Of course I have =) It was one of my reads over the summer.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”