Heroes (not the show)

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

What do you think?

Good idea
100%
Bad idea
No votes

Total votes: 9

Caspian
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ducky Consort

Heroes (not the show)

Postby Caspian » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:47 pm

I'm considering doing my Master's on Superman.
It's not "noob" to rhyme with "boob". It's "newbie" to rhyme with "boobie".

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:29 pm

..duckies?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:18 pm

Would it be good to have superheroes, you mean?

Um... I'm not sure. I think that there's a lot of potential for destruction that I am, understandably, uncomfortable with. Having heroes is like giving missiles to a few dozen people and saying, "Good luck, don't screw up."

The average person who goes rogue can only do so much damage, and it takes work to get something that can do serious destruction.

... whereas Superman could (and has) destroyed a huge amount because he went rogue.

At the same time, we trust our leaders not to do something terrible, so why not superheroes?

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:30 pm

I think he's asking whether it's a good idea or a bad idea to do a Master's Thesis about Superman.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:52 pm

OHHH.

*headdesk*

Ditz moment, sorry.

Um... that would actually be kind of interesting, depending.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:35 pm

I would need a lot more information on exactly what you feel like doing before I could vote.

Caspian
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ducky Consort

Postby Caspian » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:08 pm

Over the next 3 years (that's not including this one) I want to study the hero in literature, with particular focus on the epic, on mythology, on communal writing and the oral tradition, and on the contemporary incarnations of the above.

I want to use Superman as a particular instance of a contemporary hero without a single author, and research whether Joseph Campbell's Hero with 1000 Faces is an accurate model of Superman's story, whether as time has passed and Superman's character and story have evolved his conformity to Campbell's model has changed—if so, in which direction? What are the implications of that? If his conformity to Campbell's model has not changed, what are the implications of that? Does a communally created hero like Superman conform more or less closely to Campbell's model than a hero created by a single author?

I will explore various ideas of hero, from Plato’s notion of heroic virtue, including Aristotle’s conception of the tragic hero, to Jungian ideas of the psychologically significant universal hero. I will research both the social and literary function of the hero historically in both popular mythology and in literary epics such as Homer’s Iliad and Odyssey and Virgil’s Aenead, Beowulf, Milton’s Paradise Lost, etc. and with special focus on the contemporary heroic character of Superman.

Will my research lead me to support Campbell's idea of a universal myth? What about non-western heroes? How has Christianity affected the development of Western mythology and particularly the Western idea of the hero? To what degree is Superman a product of Western culture, and to what degree is he a universal hero, and to what degree does he fail to be either?
It's not "noob" to rhyme with "boob". It's "newbie" to rhyme with "boobie".

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:18 pm

Methodology?

Has anyone done similar research? Any previous scholarship you might draw on?

(Sorry, went through the gauntlet that is grant proposal season last month.)
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:05 am

I think you should definitely do a thesis on Superman... but instead of the stuff you wanna write, i think you should focus it on why Superman would kick Godzilla's ass.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:28 am

:lol:

I read an article recently on who would win between Superman and Batman. The author decided Superman would win but he was clearly biased.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”