A day in the life of locke

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

A day in the life of locke

Postby locke » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:51 am

A day in the life of locke.

It was not the most exciting Sunday, but as always when documenting these things, I was surprised at how much is done on a regular day.

Firstly I woke up. Then I lazed in bed for a bit, then I decided to get up, then forestalled that until I heard the roommate leave the bathroom. I am reminded how much stuff there is to do on my “to do” dry erase board. Columns for exercise, reading, writing, viewing, and getting to bed on time. I try to do something towards one of each every day.

Then I took the day’s ‘weight loss’ pic, which is pretty useless, as I’m 0.8 lbs heavier then I was on the first day I took a pic in February.

Anyway, here’s the comparison so far, pretty unimpressive for three months work of going to the gym 4-6 days a week without fail and excepting a very small handful of special occasions, eating sub 2000 calories most every day of that time. Calories in/Calories out is BAD SCIENCE. So frustrating. I sometimes think I will be stuck looking like this forever.

Then I decided I would do a day in the life of, so I took a picture of the time

And decided to go to coffee bean and read two more chapters of my book. I ate an apple for breakfast.

Along the way, the one intersection with a light I had to cross.

The ‘river’ I had to cross, sad, isn’t it.

Coffee Bean

My coffee, book and cell phone

The time that it is

The yogurt shop across the street I really wanted to go to because they have the best fro-yo I’ve had, but I am sticking to diet and budget and it’s not in either. So no double negatives allowed.

The time that it was when I finished two chapters of my book and left coffee bean

I went home and did the dishes and made myself some fried eggs (didn’t take pics)

I also had some raw milk that had soured (unlike pasteurized milk which rots when it goes bad) so I decided to make biscuits with it to take to work tomorrow. I mixed the milk and whole wheat flour using a new recipe that I think will probably turn out terrible (I wished I’d seen the commentary about replacing a cup of whole wheat flour with white flour for ‘cheater’ biscuits before I mixed it up) and now it’s sitting up high where it’s warm and won’t be bothered by nosy roommates. So it lurks above us, gaining flavor and doing fun chemistry things while it waits to be mixed and baked tomorrow morning

Then I went to my truck and there was a shopping cart parked next to it

The Gym (Y) I watched CNN and LA Confidential (on TNT) while there

1.5 hours later, after an hour on the treadmill, and a quick shower I return home

I empty the dishwasher and have a protein shake.

Then I make supper Filet mignon (I’ve never even bought filet mignon before, I just fried it like a thick steak) and some frozen roasted corn I’ve had in my freezer for ever.

Unfortunately I overcooked the steak a bit, I was trying a slower cook method and going by internal temp.

Clearly my internal thermometer was lying to me, that or the book that said 130 is medium rare, was lying to me (pic was taken before steak reached that point)

I’m just going to go back to telling doneness by the ‘squishyness’ of the steak when I press it with my index finger to it. Filet mignon does live up to it’s tenderness though, even cooked medium-well it was not tough, not as flavorful either, but still good.

For dessert (simply because they got done later), sweet potato fries

There are fewer calories in that plate of fries than there are in FOUR oreo cookies

Then, time to watch Bringing Up Baby for Film Club

While watching I count my change. I used change from the change jar to pay for coffee yesterday and today. I’m taking all this to the bank on Monday, It’ll cover the movie I saw last night, because the movie was not in the budget, like coffee was not in the budget, so this is my spending money for the next two weeks or so.

Then I baggie the change up and finish watching the movie.

Then my roommate finally arrives to unlock the other roommate’s door so I can do the laundry

Then I clean my room

Then I type out this, all that’s left in this day is writing up the filmclub post. Which I’ll do soon since I have another nine pics that are still uploading at this point.
Last edited by locke on Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:00 am

Awesome, man, that was fun! I'm having so much fun with these I might even find the charger for my camera so I can do them.

Also, I notice an unfinished Rubik's Cube. Sad day.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:30 am

Adam, your room looks like it would be so much fun to poke around. I also count out my change like that (although I don't take it to the bank, I just like to know how much I have every now and then).
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:29 am

Adam, your room looks like it would be so much fun to poke around. I also count out my change like that (although I don't take it to the bank, I just like to know how much I have every now and then).
the poking around is something I'd expect your twinny to say as well. I can just see the two of you, collaborating in my room, going over it with a fine tooth comb and giggling nefariously to each other as you uncover what I had once thought were innocuous parts of my room. ;)

this'll be the first time I've taken change to the bank since I was in high school. :-p
Last edited by locke on Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:30 am

I'll take the fries and the bag of quarters, please. :P

We have a Coffee Bean, too. I wonder if it's just a common name or if they're a franchise.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:33 am

coffee bean is a big chain, second only to starbucks I believe. :-p I actually see them more often than Starbucks around my parts of LA.

And they have much better coffee than starbucks. coffee bean brews strong coffee (even their light) starbucks brews watery coffee (even their dark).

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:39 am

Eso! Chain was the word I was looking for. It looks like our CB is not the same as yours, though. I've been to our Coffee Bean about 5 times in all the years I've lived here and have never gotten coffee from there.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:02 am

I spy with my little eye a fine bottle of scotch!
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Re: A day in the life of locke

Postby Luet » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:14 am

Calories in/Calories out is BAD SCIENCE. So frustrating. I sometimes think I will be stuck looking like this forever.
Well, you look *tanner* in the recent picture if that helps. Also, have you heard of the book Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes? I haven't read it but I have it on hold at the library and I have heard a lot about it. Supposedly it debunks the commonly held "calories in/calories out" assumption using science. It might be worth checking out.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:41 pm

own that book, quite like it, Taubes has some weaknesses to his arguments, namely that he uses selection and confirmation bias to debunk about 85% of the entire history of dietary research and investigation (it's almost all junk science), but then when he tries to establish a counter argument, he selectively ignores using those same methods, which also debunk his counter arguments about 50% of the time.

my personal mixed metaphor is this. A regular car engine does not run the same on water as it does on gasoline nor does it run the same on ethanol as it does on gasoline. nor does it run the same on any varied mixture of those three elements. There's an ideal mixture it's been engineered to run most efficiently on, and ignoring that is simply ludicrous.

but that's what our science does, saying that total calories, no matter what the mixture of type of calories it comes from is all that matters. That having more ethanol (carbs) will not affect how you car runs, despite decreasing the amount of gasoline (protein).

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:35 pm

wait, banks don't have coin counting machines anymore? I call shenanigans. I think the stupid teller was just too lazy to walk my change to the machine.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:20 pm

Some banks have them...my credit union does but you get charged a fee to use it (cents per dollar), except on special occasions. The fee charged at your own bank is less than the much higher fee charged at the "coinstar" machines at grocery stores, etc.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:42 pm

My bank (First Bank) has change counting machines and doesn't charge a fee to count it.

It's kind of ridiculous that any bank would charge a fee. Coins are legal tender and the bank has to count the money before they do anything with it, anyway. If nothing else, just deposit the change into your account instead of getting it back in cash, as I've never heard of a bank charging a deposit fee.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:05 pm

We've always been required to wrap our coins in these if we wanted our bank to touch them.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:01 pm

You all just need to find decent banks.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:14 am

I tried to deposit it (I didn't want cash back) they wouldn't take it unless it was rolled.

that's ironic because many years ago when I last took change to the bank we'd emptied the families change jar. I spent HOURS rolling coins, I think we had almost twentyfive dollars in pennies alone (that's fifty rolls). they were all meticulously counted. We took them to the bank and they smashed them all open and dumped them through a coin counting machine. I was mad. I was happy to get my share of the money, but I was still mad.

this time I didn't roll it and now they want it rolled, in things like what alea posted. The teller told me to go 'use the counter at ralph's' if I wanted to get my change counted, except that thing only issues a voucher that's good in the store and they charge $.09 on the dollar to use it. anyway I'm pretty damn annoyed all over by the whole thing. :-p

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:13 am

What used to be Commerce Bank (now TD Bank) has coin counting machines (the saccharine-sounding "Penny Arcardes") that won't take a cut of the money. You get everything you put in. Just dump all the coins there. I don't bank there, but that's always where I cash in my coins.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:53 am

Cool, Adam. But, umm, where was the writing?? (Forum posts don't count!)

Calories In/Calories Out is the ONLY science. First law of Thermodynamics. Live it. Love it.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:16 am

It looks like there is a lovely quilt hiding under that duvet. Why is it hiding?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:58 am

Calories In/Calories Out is the ONLY science. First law of Thermodynamics. Live it. Love it.
Ollie, read this and then tell me what you think. It even talks about your beloved first law. :P

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:16 am

Whenever I hear anything about thermodynamics my mind immediately goes to Flanders and Swann.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:43 am

Thanks for the article, Nom. It is a bit long-winded, but I agree with her thesis which is, principally, that one can not precisely calculate the amount of calories one needs to eat and the amount/type of exercise one needs to perform in order to lose a given amount of weight. There are too many variables (which are, surprise surprise, wildly variable, according to the author).

Further, I empathize with her frustration over the common belief that one diet and one exercise plan will result in one body type, regardless the person. That's just nonsense (yet is the premise of every damn popular women-oriented magazine out there, it seems).

None of this invalidates the concept of energy conservation. It is the Truth (note capitalization). It is not, however, a very specific or effective diet plan which is her conclusion.

Yay, physics!

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:30 am

skinny people always quote the first law of themodynamics whilst their very skinnyness defies it. If I'm expending 3000 calories a day and consuming 2000 calories a day for three months and maintain a stable weight that entire time something else is going on. the first law has a place, but when someone claims a calorie is a calorie or that its nothing more than calories in calories out it's like suggesting the the real world in a real body is a beginning physics problems: everything is in a frictionless, gravityless environment, now solve for x. It's not that there's too many variables, it's that it fundamentally ignores how energy is produced and consumed by the body. It's akin to saying, gasoline powers a car by circulating through these pipes as a liquid before being expelled as a gas out the tail pipe (and completely ignoring that there's a combustion element in the engine to create the power). When we remain willfully ignorant of the fundamental differences in cell energy mobilization and storage we're going to remain ignorant of how to efficaciously prescribe weight loss strategies.

Hell obesity has been nearly wiped out in the past, it's a shame all the german scientists who managed to eliminate it from 95% of patients in the 30s were killed in the war. And its doubly a shame that at the time American scientists had a competing theory about treating obesity called calories in calories out that was effective for about 5% of patients. And it's triply a shame that the man we put in charge of studying obesity post war was the son of a famous scientist (why he got the post) and a former free french guerrilla soldier, and when scientists proposed studying the german technique he blocked their funding because he hated all things german.

it's akin to xrays of fetuses, imo, we knew from study after study in the 1950s that xrays led to birth defects and the more xrays given in utero the more likely birth defects were to occur. The AMA and other medical organizations refused to acknowledge this information for the next thirty years because it conflicted with their view of the world, it suggested that they were fundamentally wrong and had been harming patients, so it was better to continue with the xrays (which were obviously benign, right? silly data getting in the way of obvious science) than to admit that possibility of their mistake. Eventually the science did win out and the practice was banned and everyone moved to ultrasounds, but it took that long to change an utterly wrong piece of "self evident" science that there was nothing wrong with x-rays.

If anything there's an even bigger hill to climb on treating obesity and what everyone 'knows' to be true. It's doubtful it'll become an issue though, because currently the onlymainstream and efficacious way to treat obesity is the removable lap band, and I expect within the next five years the insurance companies will begin to only support that treatment, as diet and exercise have a 70-80 year history of being extraordinarily unsuccessful.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:40 am

It's doubtful it'll become an issue though, because currently the onlymainstream and efficacious way to treat obesity is the removable lap band, and I expect within the next five years the insurance companies will begin to only support that treatment, as diet and exercise have a 70-80 year history of being extraordinarily unsuccessful.
Do you know how long the long term studies of the lap band are? I'm just curious if people have actually kept off the large amounts of weight they lose, long-term. I ask because I know of someone (close to me) who got one a few years ago and I'm less than impressed. It strikes me as forcible self-control when it comes to eating. It doesn't speed up your metabolism, it just limits what you can eat. And if people can't lose weight by dieting or limiting their calories, then this isn't going to work either. And anyway, there are ways to cheat with the lap band too. You can eat all the ice cream, milkshakes, very soft foods that you want...which can add up to tons of calories. Not to mention the person I know who got the lap band has had horrible issues with the port (the thing they use to add/remove fluid from the band). It has started to come through the skin a number of times and they have had to surgically move it to a different location. *shudders*

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:29 pm

I shouldn't even have mentioned the lap band, for all the reasons you mentioned and it weakens my argument. :-p But I saw something the other day about the lap band and insurance companies and in it went to post, I am sometimes thoughtless like that. and it's been on my mind becasue I suspect my 350-380 lb father may get one within the next year or so.

weight loss, in my mind, comes down to the body establishing a new set point. anyone can lose weight (deflate a lot of fat cells) but the real challenge is withstanding the constant insanely loud stream of demands for foods that will fill the fat cells back up (in general sweet things, since protein and fat place severe restrictions on the body's ability to store energy in a deflated or inflated fat cell) for the 3-6 months it takes the body to get around to eliminating the deflated and unused fat cells.

Once their are fewer actual fat cells the body will establish a new set point based on that new, lower total of fat cells, but until that happens you have to endure several months of mental and physical hell as your body and brain wage a war of attrition against your decision to lose weight.

Exercise can help in reestablishing a set point by doing the opposite and generating new lean cells, but the caveat with exercise is that it stimulates the appetite something fierce, and for most people the detriments outweigh the benefits, and exercise causes most people to eat more leading to the creation of new fat cells, weight gain and establishing a new higher set point (essentially maintaining the ratio of lean to fat cells, as you get more lean cells you eat more, leading to more fat cells, leading to a higher set point, you have more muscle, but you have a relatively equal amount of more fat to go with it).

calories in and out have their place, but in the reality of the complex and dynamic economic system of energy use, storage and transfer within the body it is only one of many significant factors.

Locke_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Fill in the Blank

Postby Locke_ » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:32 pm

Hey everyone!

Well I think from one Locke to another we're in the same boat. I can hardcore work out and diet for days on in and see little results. As a result, I'm a firm believer in the set point theory. If there is a way to change the set point, I've spent months trying and have remained defeated. Lately I've tried to quit looking at my physique as a driving force for getting in shape. I have as much fun trying to challenge myself running, biking, rowing, and occasionally getting in some lifts. Still I'm corrupted by all the movie characters out there with their chiseled-nesses going on.

What I've been trying recently is something I've read on YahooNews (I would doubt the credibility, but why? It's worth a shot and a change-up). The article said varying your speed a lot during, for example, a run can help burn fat quicker. Plus it keeps your body on its toes, for since it adapts it gets bored and less responsive to the same routine. I don't know. Maybe all this was said. Point is I know the feeling.

Also, when I went into my bank and tried to change coins, they handed me a bunch of the paper cylinder things to put them in. I saw there for an hour and came out with 50 bucks. Worth it for an hour's work ;-)
It is not the sound of victory;
it is not the sound of defeat;
it is the sound of singing that I hear.
-Moses

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:29 pm

Interval training, yeah it can mobilize fat better in theory. also a total monster to do. it's often referred to as HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:37 am

When I cashed in my zillions of coins at my credit union (over $200 worth) I called ahead. They told me to please take them OUT of the wrappers (I'd been wrapping them for over three years to keep count for myself). They did, in fact, have a machine they could use but they rejected a BUNCH of my coins for -- defects? Being too dark? I don't know. They had to go through them by hand, was their point. Took 'em two days. Then they gave me the rejects.

Le sigh.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:52 pm

tossing this update here rather than Bob (and I think I may do a Sunday in the life of locke tomorrow, and maybe eventually have a week. That is to say in another week or three I might do a Monday in the life, a few weeks after that tuesday, etc.

--

So I went home last night, did a bit of packing but almost immediately left for a movie. a silent film, The Underwold, with a live score by the three man The Alloy Orchestra. It was marvelous (also the first modern urban gangster film).

I got back home very hungry and immediately set to ferocious work on finishing packing the kitchen. I polished it off, except for all my pantry stuff and fridge/freezer stuff. It was done not much later. (i just realized I may have forgot one small box which has all my silverware in it. we shall see). Then I immediately plunged into tackling the bathroom. All of that taken care of, I was mostly there, I moved some stuff out of my room to the 'staging area' in the living room by the front door. Then I went and got a burger and milkshake for supper. Went back home, not feeling tremendously like working and surfed the internet for a while. Then I determined I needed to move all the pantry/fridge/freezer stuff tonight. So I packed it all up, 9 groceries bags for pantry stuff, 2 for fridge, one for freezer. At least my frugality in grocery buying the past two weeks and my attempts to eat down some of the stocked up food supplies I had have helped me out there. I laboriously carried all these out to my car and headed over to my new apartment as it was now officially mine as it was after midnight.

Nervously I took in the cold stuff and flipped the light switch... success, I do indeed have power. Then I tried water, success again, two out of three. Then I tried to light the stove. Turn the burner on, smell the gas, no clicking sound of the flame lighting. try all four burners and the oven, gas smell, but no ignition. The stove is quite old, but that's pretty unacceptable. And I noted that the apartment smelled faintly of gas. The fireplace has the pilot light lit, but it does not turn on at the switch. I shall have to get this remedied, perhaps I will get a new stove out of it, this one does not even have a broiler, so I think it is rather old, and if it is leaking gas (the gas smell before even fiddling with the stove is strongest in the kitchen) I think I may get one. I turned on the oven vent to clear the gas and distributed cold stuff to fridge. The fridge is also old. but it will do. I would LOVE to have a modern bad ass fridge though. I think it would be a tremendously rewarding investment, like buying a nice bed.

But for whatever reason whenever I try to discuss this idea people tend to talk over me to try to cut me off, to try to explain patiently that I can get a fridge cheap on craigslist, or what's wrong with a cheap fridge or an old fridge if it keeps it cold. Anyway, it's not a dual door fridge with freezer drawer below that's brilliant at keeping things proper temps (rather than sort of haphazard and inequally distributed coldness these older cheap fridges tend to have). but as others have said, it will do. Still I wish people would listen when I try to explain that fridge is a wise investment because of the amount of use and benefit you'd get out of it. Oh well.

Anyways I then return to my car, start to carry the next load of groceries, start back, thinking I can park in the empty space next to the door rather than in my space then, turn back again realizing it's silly I need the exercise and if the person were to return i'd be off on the wrong foot on my first encounter with a current resident. I haul in all my groceries next to the elevator, then I grab the three things also in my car since I bought them, a new pyrex set (from the outlet center, a 8x8, pie plate, 7x11, 9x13, bowls and lids for all for $20) to replace what my roommate took with her, my new corelle dishes (also outlet) which are all 8inch salad plates. from now on I'll only be using 12 inch plates for what they were originally intended to be (before we supersized our appetites and servings forty years or so ago when dishes design evolved), as serving platters. And my new set of glasses. I got a box of 24, 12 16 oz and 12 12 oz for $15 from Ross and they're proper glasses without any froufrou design work that just makes them hard to clean.

I put most of these dishes in the dishwasher so they can be clean for first use, but all 24 glasses won't fit in the dishwasher, so I'll do those later.

Anyways, I foolishly decide to unpack all the rest of the groceries and do so glorying in how much space I have for kitchen stuff (and after all unpacked I realize I don't have a lot of cabinet space for cookware so there will be rearranging). then I head back home and it's 2:30 or nearly 3am at this point.

I get home and begin packing my room like mad, I finish off three boxes post quick and still have one box left to fill (and enough stuff to fill it with) but as I'm now 96% packed I allow myself to go to bed.

And then I get up at 6:50am and blearily make my way to my car. I get to the uhaul get the uhaul, park my car three blocks away on street parking and then drive off in the uhaul. Beard papa doesn't open until 11am so I'm getting donuts for my friends rather than creme puffs. I park the uhaul at a convenient sidestreet location though I hope to move it later.

then I head back to my room setting my phone to give me an alarm at 8:40 which is the latest time I can leave to walk up to the donut shop and coffee bean and get back. I'm hoping I'll be done and before then, but I suspect I wont. I go back and pack and finish off the last box, move some stuff to staging. and then my alarm goes off I head off on my final errands. a dozen donuts, two large coffees and two large hot chocolates and about 30 minutes later I head back. as I suspected all my friends will be at least fifteen minutes late. I sit down for the first time that day and eat for the first time that day, i polish off two donuts (an old fashioned and a coconut) and force myself not to have any more. then I head to my room to do some final stuff and my friends cristina and andrew arrive, I call Jon and find out he's on his way. huzzah. We get the bed into it's giant plastic bag (which we all dub as a condom, since we work on sets and put giant rolls of various materials into plastic protective tubes all the time and they're called condoms on set) then Jon's there and I meet him outside and have Andrew and cristina move the fifteen or sixteen boxes in my bedroom to staging. Jon rides with me as I drive the uhaul around the block to the side entrance then he helpfully and awesomely jumps out to give me hand signals for backing up. Being that he works on sets almost all the time he's a f****** pro at this and I back up a big truck easier than I ever have before. We prep the truck and I set up the assembly line.

Cristina will be in the truck and our tetris master arranging things therein (and the presence that will run interference if we need to move the truck so residents parked in this little side lot need to get out, since we're blocking them all). Andrew Jon and I will take turns on the other rotation. One person will make a trip with the dolly, the other two will carry boxes downstairs from staging to await the dolly, then we rotate on dolly turns so no one is doing nothing but carrying. We polish off the boxes quick and then begin the tedious and time consuming part of getting all the bits and pieces of furniture downstairs. Much time and sweat later but with no swearing we are packed. We load the last in the truck and head over to unpack.

I have to wait a bit for them to find the place, but then we unpack like a well oiled machine, everything is sort of dumped in my apartment now, so I've got a lot of work to do in getting properly moved in (see tomorrow's photo day in the life of).

it's about 1:30, the uhaul was due back at one, we decide to meet for lunch at hte amazing bay cities deli which just is a few blocks form the uhaul. I also ransack a box for my beachtowel, flip flops and swimming trunks.

I give the three remaining donuts to the uhaul lady checking me in and compliment her that she has nothing to worry about from eating a donut. Then we chat while she fills in my info. low and behold she doesn't charge me for being late and she doesn't charge me for using the dolly (though the charge was marked as such on the form) as I suspected, my donuts and friendliness worked at getting me better customer service.

All told my moving truck expenses were less than fifty dollars, a bit more than that when you count in my putting in gas.

Then we meet for lunch, it is PACKED. we grab some premade sandwiches rather than waiting for twenty-forty minutes, same sandwich anyway, we all get beverages, we grab some desserts, cannoli, cupcakes and a fancy chocolate bar filled with grappa. lunch for four comes to more than 65. :-p we bought a lot of stuff. But goddamn those sandwiches are amazing. bar none the best bread in los angeles.

Jon and I save half our sandwiches. then we go to the beach. we get there very late and play a pretty halfhazard game of volleyball in which I'm sort of non-functioning as I mainly want to take a nap. Then we play bocce and during that game a seagull lands near jon's bag, fiddles with it and pulls his wrapped sandwich from the bag within the bag and flies off with it. Oh well, stupid effing seagull. (Mine?!)

Then back home, shower and to work to pick up keys so I can go to work tomorrow (yay :/)

gotta run, the grocery store closes at 9 and I've been typing this for almost forty minutes.

But I am moved into my own place. All my own! Finally!

YAY!

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:18 am

That's very awesome! Is this place your OWN place own place? or will you be rooming with people, but non-evil people, and all in charge and stuff?
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:16 pm

As pictures will show, it is my own place, 1 bedroom, only Adam living there. :D

non evil roommates are fine to live with, but I'm worn down by evil roommates and now just want my own place.

There is no internet there, and despite there being about twenty five wireless networks my computer sees in the building, all of them are secured. So no internet at home for me. which is sort of awesome in terms of giving me time to read, research and write (I'm also not getting cable)

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:53 pm

That or you'll just spend a whole lot more time at the library computers :P
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:27 am

last Saturday was moving day, and around about 10:50 I went and saw The Hangover, that meant that Sunday started at midnight for me, or actually a bit later. I got home and this is how I found it.

I moved some stuff around and determined that I would sleep in my down sleeping bag on the bed because that was easier than using the beddign which still needed a wash.

after moving some more stuff around, I performed nightly ablutions, and noted again that I had not shaved in about six days and really, terribly needed a shave. Take a look:

I determined I had neither the time, energy or inclination to shave tonight, so I went ahead and crawled into bed, took a picture of the time and then closed my eyes and took a picture of me, sleeping, or at least closing my eyes because I couldn't deal with the flash. :-p

Later, much later, ugh I wake up:

don't forget a healthy breakfast ;)

Time to do some moving in, primarily maneuvering furniture and unpacking some stuff, and shifting lots of as yet unpacked stuff:

So for the most part I have had some success, until you look into the bedroom where I have made a bigger mess.

In any event, time to shower and shave, after shaving I’m looking and feeling a bit more human:

And it’s time to head out, finally:

First stop, CVS, to buy toilet paper, paper towels and a few other odds and ends

Next stop, lunch at Santouka ramen which is in Mitsuwa marketplace (and nextdoor to cvs)

I order the special pork ramen which, imo, makes this place one of the four or five best places in LA to eat. Look at all this deliciousness. That pork is one of the most fantastic, tender, melt in your mouth, flavor explosions of awesome you’ve ever tasted. And the soup broth is unbelievably satisfying, rich and full of deep, broad flavors it’s so much better than the other ramen broths I’ve tried when ramen-hunting different LA ramen places that it is not really fair. Everyone else is mcdonalds, and this place is like spago, in comparison. Also you get green onions, mushrooms, bamboo and fish cake to add to your ramen, and an yummy mini umeboshi to munch on first of all. :D

Now It’s time to head to work, first I stop by a key place, but they’re closed on Sunday

Then I park and walk to the building where I work.

I let myself in, and first things first, I check pweb

This is my bay, normally my laptop is to the right of the mousepad, but I forgot to bring it with me today. :(

I say hello to our Unity server, as you can see it’s fairly small at about 5.5 TB, our other server is about 7.5TB iirc. Still, not that much compared to the 100TB or so (all mirrored, so really more like 200TB) at the last place I worked. Enough for the small volume of shows we do here though. Had I not had those groups minimized I might have prevented the problems that later befell me:

I start two tapes to digitizing and one bin to consolidating and all will take an hour or so I head out to grab a few things I left in my old apartment, I think I will need the screwdriver to set up my bedframe but I forgot to take the camera. I get back and something is not happy, the consolidating failed. And I don’t see the error and think, “oh, the new drive it was being moved to is out of space or low, I should check it. Nope. I click okay and try to consolidate again. Big big big mistake, even moreso was continuing doing some other stuffs that would compound things.

Several hours later, this is what it looks like. Note the may dates, that’s how rare it is to see drive errors crop up. In fact in the first six months of the year we probably had less than twenty drive errors in total, across the entire server.

Because of that, Monday became a hellacious day for me. 16 hour or so day, and we essentially had to burn an entire day where the editors didn’t get anything accomplished, mostly because of me.

In any event I was there til well past midnight dealing with those drive errors Sunday night, so no more pictures from a Sunday in the life of locke. :-p

I did take a picture of the quilt made by my Great Grandmother that is on my bed, cause I think Kimmie asked about it.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:57 am

Cool apartment!

Hey, how come I can't see The Star Chamber in The Jeesh Lounge? All I get is the Battle Room, the Book Club and Cineastes' Corner.
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:22 am

That would be because it's the mod forum.

I love the shirt, Adam!
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Return to “Milagre Town Square”