Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:33 pm

I don't know if I'm veering off course too much with this but in response to brain and Steph, I have a very hard time believing people on emotional matters; the same can sometimes be said of more factual matters but those are disputed easily enough and when I'm wrong about those, I tend to be decent with admitting I'm wrong and apologizing where necessary.

But the more emotionally important a person is to me, sometimes the harder it is for me to believe pretty basic stuff like that they even like me as a person or care about me or don't think I'm the most boring thing in the history of the universe,etc. They can flat out tell me they do and that I'm not but I can't, no matter how hard I try, internalize it. Then, randomly, they'll say or do something and I'll believe it and remember all the things they've already done that made it apparent, that I couldn't see at the time for whatever reason, and I'll be flooded with this positive emotion...and then time passes and I'm back to square one.

It's frustrating for all parties involved.
So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways, all my underdogs.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:39 pm

I don't know if I'm veering off course too much with this but in response to brain and Steph, I have a very hard time believing people on emotional matters; the same can sometimes be said of more factual matters but those are disputed easily enough and when I'm wrong about those, I tend to be decent with admitting I'm wrong and apologizing where necessary.

But the more emotionally important a person is to me, sometimes the harder it is for me to believe pretty basic stuff like that they even like me as a person or care about me or don't think I'm the most boring thing in the history of the universe,etc. They can flat out tell me they do and that I'm not but I can't, no matter how hard I try, internalize it. Then, randomly, they'll say or do something and I'll believe it and remember all the things they've already done that made it apparent, that I couldn't see at the time for whatever reason, and I'll be flooded with this positive emotion...and then time passes and I'm back to square one.

I totally relate. Ask Brian.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:19 am

In other words you're a big dope. :P
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:35 pm

In other words you're a big dope. :P
Nope, she's a normal girl. Or at least one with typical self-esteem issues. Dr. Phil says (yes, I love him, shut up!), "It takes a thousand 'atta boy's to erase one negative comment." Unfortunately, it's easier to believe the negative things people have said to us over the years - either directly or indirectly (by their actions). So, it takes hearing something positive from a person we love MANY, MANY times before we can come close to believing it in our hearts. This can, understandable, be really frustrating to the men in our lives.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:24 pm

Yeah, I know.

'Dope' is just a pet name. It's what I affectionately call Alea when she's being Alea. :D
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:25 pm

Ah, okay. We girls have to stick together, you know. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:06 pm

I misinterpret Brian sometimes. He hates that. It's more likely to happen when I'm already stressed and emotional about something else. I feel bad when it happens, and maybe that's what separates me and your wife?
yeah, she doesn't feel bad, she just divorces me.... LMAO
Ubernaustrum

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:12 pm

Thanks, Nomi. <3

I feel like I need to quote Daria just now ("Daria - Don't worry. I don't have low self-esteem. It's a mistake. Jake - I'll say! Daria - I have low esteem for everyone else."), because I'm reminded of that and not because it directly applies to any of what you said.

Jason, I know how you meant it and for that, I have to also say thank you to you, for associating "when she's being Alea" with mostly positive connotations. Earlier this week, I was told something along the lines of "I hate it when you're being Alea-y" and it bothered me. It was like saying the majority of what made me specifically me was worthy of being hated, when really, it was a subset of things that I, like many other people, do that they (hopefully) meant. I mean, I know I have some flaws but I would like to think anyone who actually knew a thing about me would consider "being Alea-y" to be a mostly good thing. So, as one of my favorite people would say, "f*** that noise."

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:11 pm

As someone who claims to actually know a thing or two about you, I would definately consider "being Alea-y" to be a mostly good thing.
The enemy's fly is down.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:29 pm

As someone who claims to actually know a thing or two about you, I would definately consider "being Alea-y" to be a mostly good thing.
2nded.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:50 pm

Thanks, guys. :)

P.S. Josh owes me a phone call and I'm firing him until he delivers...even if he does think nice things about me most of the time.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:39 am

I thought you were going to call me. Since when do I initiate these things?

I'm on evenings this week, give me a day when you'll be available during the day and I'll call before work.
The enemy's fly is down.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:50 am

Mondays are the only day that I am available during the day. I told you last time to let me know when you were available. :P

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:52 am

I was off this monday. >.> Just started a seven day stretch, I'll be off next wednesday and thursday.
The enemy's fly is down.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:48 pm

Irritation: The sheer amount of food my mom allows to go to waste.

I try to eat leftovers, in the cases where there are any, but that's not the only thing that goes to waste. Fruit, bread, other stuff I can't think of right now.

The kitchen is hardly my favorite place in the house but I can't wait until I have my own, so I can avoid doing the things I think she does wrong.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:22 pm

I've probably mentioned this before but I get so irritated when people use/type wonder and wander interchangeably. Same thing with loose and lose. It drives me bonkers.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:26 pm

I wander why you loose it in that kind of situation.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:42 pm

Oh, you're a funny one. :P

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:28 am

(Not irrational) Irritation: All the Dunkin' Donuts within an hour of me stopped carrying French Crullers, my absolute favorite donut.

Guilty pleasure: I'm driving my brother and his family to Hartford airport this afternoon and I called the DD there (because I'm that crazy) and they have set aside a half dozen French Crullers for me. I'm going to be eating SIX of them tonight!! Well, maybe I'll save some for tomorrow morning. Sweet, melt in your mouth, flaky goodness.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:30 am

(Not irrational) Irritation: All the Dunkin' Donuts within an hour of me stopped carrying French Crullers, my absolute favorite donut.

Guilty pleasure: I'm driving my brother and his family to Hartford airport this afternoon and I called the DD there (because I'm that crazy) and they have set aside a half dozen French Crullers for me. I'm going to be eating SIX of them tonight!! Well, maybe I'll save some for tomorrow morning. Sweet, melt in your mouth, flaky goodness.
Come visit me and I'll make you crullers. I haven't done them yet, but they are the same dough as the cream puff I just made, just fried instead of baked. They are Brian's favorite, too, so I'm planning on frying some next time I make the dough.

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:40 am

Great, now I'm hungry.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:23 am

Great, now I'm hungry.
Same

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:47 pm

Hartford, represent!

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:55 am

Nomi, you are killing me.

Barely any DDs in New York City. NONE in Minnesota. Before we even get out of Logan Airport on July 9th, I'm buying an iced coffee the size of my FACE.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:57 am

I love their iced coffee even more once I realized they'll make it with liquid sugar instead of regular. Then you don't have all those sugar granules sitting at the bottom. I still have three french crullers left for breakfast. :)

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:13 am

You are all so American.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:20 am

You are all so American.
Yes, we are awesome. Thanks. :P

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:52 pm

You are all so American.
I could go for an ice Capp from Timmies right about now. The closest is apparently Victoria.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:30 pm

Does it make me unAmerican if I don't drink tea or coffee?

Exception being Chai when it is cold out but that's not healthy tea the way I drink it.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:38 pm

Does it make me unAmerican if I don't drink tea or coffee?
Nope. Just Mormon. :lol:

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:20 pm

Actually, I have a question about that. Is it okay for Mormons to have decaf/caffeine-free coffee/tea/soda? Or no to coffee/tea/soda regardless of the caffeine content? What about herbal tea like chamomile or rooibos? Just curious.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:49 pm

Actually, I have a question about that. Is it okay for Mormons to have decaf/caffeine-free coffee/tea/soda? Or no to coffee/tea/soda regardless of the caffeine content? What about herbal tea like chamomile or rooibos? Just curious.
The Word of Wisdom states that "hot drinks" are not for the belly. More recent prophets have defined that phrase to mean coffee and tea from the tea leaf. It actually has nothing to do with caffeine, so soda and hot chocolate are fine. Herbal teas are also fine. I use Celestial Seasonings Tender Tummy when I'm pregnant and Traditional Medicinal's Mother's Milk Tea while I'm nursing.

It may not make sense to non-LDS, but for us, we trust what we believe our Heavenly Father has given to us in this health code. :)

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:59 pm

Thanks, steph. I've always wondered that, too. I couldn't survive the summer months without frequent tall glasses of iced tea.

At least you get hot chocolate, though! (Which is my favorite warm beverage.)
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:35 pm

Irrational Irritation: Iceberg lettuce. Because what is the point of it, really, other than crunching? No nutritional value, not something I would dignify with the title of "leafy green," and does not even taste remotely good.

Rational Irritation: Wendy's salads have all kinds of leafy greens on top, hiding a huge bed of iceberg lettuce underneath.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:23 pm

Irrational Irritation: Iceberg lettuce. Because what is the point of it, really, other than crunching? No nutritional value, not something I would dignify with the title of "leafy green," and does not even taste remotely good.

Rational Irritation: Wendy's salads have all kinds of leafy greens on top, hiding a huge bed of iceberg lettuce underneath.
ARRRRGH I hate that!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Return to “Milagre Town Square”