What to read next?

From Alvin Maker to Wyrms
akrolsmir
Launchie
Launchie

What to read next?

Postby akrolsmir » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:19 pm

I've read/heard all of the enderverse books. Now, what series/book should I read next by OSC?

I want to hear it from the experts.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:10 pm

Alvin Maker is an excellent series, but unfinished. the first two books are some of the best Card has written.

Songmaster, Hart's Hope and Pastwatch are probably the best of his other novels.

The Homecoming series is complete, there is an allegorical element to it, but if you're unfamiliar with the book of Mormon it's likely most of it will go over your head (went over mine) until the fifth book or so.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:21 pm

I would second Songmaster and Pastwatch, two of my favorite standalone Card novels. I also really like Treason, although you can tell it is an early work.

The Homecoming Series is good, especially the first 3 books, and I didn't know anything about the Book of Mormon when I read them.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:22 pm

So You've read everything in the Enderverse from EG to Children, from ES to Giant. You've read A War of Gifts. You're wondering what to read next from this author. Well, there are two directions you can go. OSC is a very prolific author and he works within a few different genres. If you want to keep in the SF vein, I would suggest either Treason or The Worthing Saga. Both are excellent SF titles that also speak of the character of men. If you are into fantasy, Card has some excellent books in this section. The Alvin Maker series, beginning with Seventh Son is absolutely enthralling. Magic Street is classified by Wikipedia (bad site, i know) as being 'urban fantasy'. What it means is that Card takes fantasy out of the traditional settings and places it in a black neighbourhood. It reads well and ends interestingly. And if you are more into the thriller genre, there are two fabulous titles that you should pick up that have the potential to freak you out. Lost Boys is a good family story with some very interesting twists. Treasure Box is a good ghost story that incorporates a lot of mythology. In most of Card's books, expect to find a hint of religion. If this does not bother you, all of these books and many more should whet your literary appetite.

Lusitania_Fleet
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Lusitania_Fleet » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:25 pm

Have you read the other Ender books? Ender in Exile, first meetings?

My favorite osc books, aside from Ender's game and Xenocide, are Empire and Invasive procedures. They're brilliantly written and have a realistic twinge to them. Empire completely made me rethink America. Well, not completely.
Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Return to “Other Orson Scott Card Novels, Stories and Adaptations”