The Smells in My Kitchen

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:40 am

Homemade pizza tonight!! Feta, pineapple, and garlic, mmmmmm.

Who's got a suggestion for something veggie-laden and cheap for the coming week?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:34 pm

I suggest potato soup. Yum! I might make it tomorrow.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:43 pm

We had potato soup not long ago, but perhaps borscht... I do love borscht.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:10 pm

I made rice pudding tonight for a superbowl party tomorrow. Although it's made with almond milk, so I hope it's okay. It tastes okay to me but a bit less rich than usual. It smells really good.

Then, I decided to recreate a beet salad that I had recently at a restaurant. I've never actually made beets before. So, now it kind of smells earthy in here while I make beets. The salad is mixed greens and beets and gorgonzola and orange vinaigrette. I'm excited!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:49 pm

How was the rice pudding, Nomi? I love rice pudding. Have you ever made the Indian variety, called kheer?

Tonight we got lazy and bought a bag of pre-chopped veg and a bag of egg noodles, and just fried them up together. However, I got the soy sauce/vinegar/hot sauce mixture just right, and it was delicious! Not a bad meal for under 2 quid. I can definitely see us making it with some frequency, possibly putting it on our "lazy meals" go-to list.

Oh, and naga pickle rocks. Such a nice tasting hot sauce, a little more flavour than sriracha.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:19 pm

We do that a lot, Ali. I usually scramble and egg with it for some protein.

My kitchen smells like potato soup and fresh baked rolls! Later, it will smell like donuts when my sister demonstrates her mini donut maker.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:46 pm

The rice pudding was actually a hit! I was kind of surprised because I didn't think it was that great but some people went back for seconds. :)

Oh, and the beet salad was amazingly good. Though, I wish beets were a little easier to make...my fingers and nails are still stained from the peeling and chopping.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:46 pm

Nutella Puffs and Cream Puffs:
Image Image

We had a bit of a problem with the bottoms of the puffs falling out when we got them off the pan. But besides that, they turned out wonderful and delicious.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Looks yummy!

Not exactly a smell, but I made chocolate sauce and made banana splits tonight. Helps the stupid Ice Milk to taste better when you have a bunch of toppings!
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:52 pm

Holy cow. I just made marshmallows! And they were easy!! I bought lots of extra gelatin packets for mess ups until I got it right, but it was right on the first try! SO easy!

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:12 pm

I LOVE making homemade marshmallows! Will loves when I make them into rice crispy treats! Mmm....
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:10 pm

Roasted red peppers with fennel, topped with olive bruschetta mix and cheese, then baked. On a bed of rocket with some yoghurt on the side, and a sumac and lemon couscous.

I am very vain and love it when someone walks into the kitchen and says "WHOA something smells good!" :D

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:54 pm

We had a very odd but delicious Thai/British fushion thing tonight. That makes 3 whole recipes with beets in that I like! Spicy beetroot and coconut soup, from the Accidental Vegetarian. Thank you, Simon Rimmer, for once again coming through for me.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:51 pm

I just sauteed a whole bunch of swiss chard with olive oil, garlic and lemon juice. I planned on trying a bit now and eating the rest with dinner tonight but it was so good that I ate it all!

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:35 pm

I had the best snack today. Kale, sprinkled with salt, pepper and olive oil, roasted in the oven until dried. Better than popcorn.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:59 am

This week's menu includes:
* barley soup
* egg fried rice
* yoghurt curry
* sammiches (egg mayo and maybe even cress)
* penne with red pesto and grilled red peppers

I'm quite excited about the sammiches. We're going to try the 1-minute bread recipe Jan and Paul posted. Prep it at night, bake it in the morning. Hurrah ciabatta!

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:38 am

I'm quite excited about the sammiches. We're going to try the 1-minute bread recipe Jan and Paul posted. Prep it at night, bake it in the morning. Hurrah ciabatta!
I used it in a bread class i helped teach a couple of weeks ago and it was a huge hit! I made loaves with 5 different toppings. I used combos of garlic, herbs, salt, cheese, and then one with chai seasoning mix. The loaf that had chai, I made into french toast for breakfast the next morning and it was the most amazing french toast I've ever had! My mom made it, convinced my dad to make it for a dinner that he's catering at church this week (my mom was quite happy that I got my dad baking bread), my aunts, cousins and sister have all started making it, plus who knows how many women from church have started making it now since the bread class. It's an awesome recipe!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:40 am

Those all sound like amazing ideas! I'll have to try the chai one! I'm also inspired to maybe use some of the red pesto on top sometime. Yummmmm.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:49 pm

We dug up some carrots and parsnips today (they are covered up with straw and a tarp so they won't freeze) to cook for dinner. I like them this time of the year best , they seem to taste so much better the carrots get kinda sweet. Anyway Julie cut up the parsnips and cooked them with butter, garlic ,little honey and a little slosh of white wine and they were awsome!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:18 pm

* barley soup
* penne with red pesto and grilled red peppers
The barley soup/stew was alright. Could have benefitted from some onion and garlic, which we were out of. The penne with pesto and peppers was deeeeelicious. Yum.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:57 pm

Yes indeed, quite. Although The Mystery Of The Missing Pesto may go ever unsolved, alas.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:23 am

In honor of National Pancake Day, we had breakfast for dinner! I made whole wheat apple pear pancakes with warm maple syrup and over easy eggs. The boys had thirds. :D

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:00 pm

The homemade "crazy bread" tonight was delicious! Not quite oily enough, but probably healthier, lol. But plenty garlicky and cheesey. Yum!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:23 pm

I made Chicken Pot Pie for Pi Day! It was so yummy.

I would have made a pie for dessert too, but sadly, we have no ingredients and there's a blizzard outside.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:45 pm

I made my first attempt at chicken curry yesterday. It was a little milder than I would have liked, but for a first attempt I won't complain. And I made apple pie from scratch for the first time. Yay for pi day and baking!
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:40 pm

We had a delicious, delicious phaal curry tonight with "quorn" chicken pieces and fresh peppers. I'm so thrilled to be back at the curry shop.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:17 pm

Growing up in in my family birthday traditions were a plenty, and the best one revolved around food. The birthday person got to choose whatever they wanted to be served for dinner and dessert (or whichever main meals they liked, really, sometimes all three!). I was never faithful to any one dinner request--although I asked for my mom's lasagna (singular!) several times at least, but I always, always--for as long as I can remember--have had cheesecake for dessert on my birthday, in lieu of the traditional layer cake with frosting. Cheesecake - <3.

I fully intend to continue this tradition when I start my own family, so I've spent the last few years getting David on board. Last year he requested bagels (which I naturally had to make from scratch. They were GREAT) and an Almond Orange Olive Oil cake which I was SURE was going to taste terrible and actually tasted obscenely delicious.

His birthday is this Saturday, and this year he has requested....

croissants.

Homemade, almond-cream-filled croissants. (He really loves almonds).

I am so very afraid of laminated doughs. I've managed to avoid them entirely in my baking excursions thus far, but this weekend I will spend two days turning dough. Oh dear. Words of encouragement, please!
Last edited by Young Val on Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:14 pm

I will be very impressed and can't wait to hear how they turn out. Almond croissants sound incredible. Have fun and he is one lucky man!

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:10 pm

You can do it!!! I know you'll be awesome at it. And just think of how worth it it will be! Yum!

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:52 pm

You can SO do this, Kelly. I have nothing but faith in you. Come on. Look how far you've come in your cooking and baking since you started getting serious about it. Everything you've done was new to you once. So. Deep breaths. Mis en place, pay close attention to the recipe, and approach project with optimistic, yet reverent, attitude. Look forward to hearing about it!
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:11 pm

Wow, Kirsten! Can I hire you as a motivator?

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:20 pm

Seriously, Kirsten. I will pay you in baked goods if you will just follow me around all the time and say encouraging things to me!

Thank you all for your kindness and encouragement! I will definitely post about it when all is said and done, and I figure, even if they don't rise, or don't flake, or if the filling runs out everywhere and burns my oven...nothing with that much butter can possible taste bad, right?

Speaking of butter, I think that's the part of the ordeal I'm most looking forward to. I have to take over a pound of cold butter and make it "pliable" without "shattering." The method for this is apparently to lay it out on the table and beat it repeatedly with a rolling pin, occasionally stopping to scrape it back together in one lump and then continue to whack at it. Sounds sort of fun...
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:30 pm

Speaking of butter, I think that's the part of the ordeal I'm most looking forward to. I have to take over a pound of cold butter and make it "pliable" without "shattering." The method for this is apparently to lay it out on the table and beat it repeatedly with a rolling pin, occasionally stopping to scrape it back together in one lump and then continue to whack at it. Sounds sort of fun...
This alone makes me want to try making croissants. I love croissants, but the recipes always scare me.

I've been so blah about baking lately, I just feel lazy about it or that nothing sounds right to make.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:33 pm

Absolutely! :-D
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:52 pm

Fred, I've always wanted to do something like the Daring Baker's Challenge, but was a little intimidated and didn't think I could always commit to a strict time frame.

I'd be willing to do a sort of modified version of it, though, here on pweb if anyone is interested. The basic premise is that people take turns picking recipes for a challenge. The recipe is posted and whoever wants to participate takes a crack at making it within a certain time frame (a month? two? four?). Then you post pictures of your end result, and write a little bit about your experience of making it. Then it's someone else's turn to pick a recipe, and so on. It doesn't have to be strictly baking; savory recipes are welcome as well. And although difficult recipes can be fun to tackle, they don't HAVE to be complicated to count as a challenge.

I'm just thinking of how many of us went on to try making a Dutch Baby after Jan posted about it, or Steph's mac & cheese, or any of the recipes people have posted up here. Even something simple can be something new and fun to try. And if you find you're too busy to participate in one round, or the recipe isn't in line with your diet (not vegetarian/contains allergens/etc) then you can either just skip it or make a modified version.

Again, don't know if anyone would be interested or not, but it's something I've thought about before, and Fred's post about being uninspired in the kitchen brought it to mind again.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Return to “Milagre Town Square”