If you had infinite power, is it possible to only do good?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:01 pm

Certainly a LOT of power corrupts quickly.

But if you had INFINITE power, you would obviously have the power to do only good...
Knowledge is bliss. Ignorance just doesn't know what bliss means.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:01 pm

"Infinite" means a lot more than really, really big. It means it is truly immesurable. It means that the question of measuring it is simply irrelevant. It means that "measurement" is a useless concept. "Infinite power" means the ability to do ANYTHING. The power of even the most dictatorial American president with 100% control over both houses and all SCOTUS judges can still be measured. Comparing that power to "infinite power" is like comparing 5'8" me to the entire universe. It's utterly ridiculous.

Make the sky green. Turn time backwards.

Luminous, it's not at all obvious to me why infinite power would by necessity mean exclusive good.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:47 pm

Luminous, it's not at all obvious to me why infinite power would by necessity mean exclusive good.
What's your point? Why are you directing this comment at me?
Knowledge is bliss. Ignorance just doesn't know what bliss means.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:50 pm

Probably because of this
Certainly a LOT of power corrupts quickly.

But if you had INFINITE power, you would obviously have the power to do only good...
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Fish Tank
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Fish Tank » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:48 am

Reread what I said.

Dear god, you don't even understand what measuring is.

You know being stupid is one thing, but being condescending aswell? That's just really sad.
I read what you said just fine, and I reread just to keep you quiet.

I do know what "measuring" is. But you see I'm trying to make a point. You're saying measuring as a way to define limit, not as a way comparison. You see? You're doing the same thing I am, using more than one definition for a word. Wow, I'm proud of you.

Measuring as a comparison is totally different than measuring a quantity of something. Just making sure you realize that. We were talking about measuring the president's power.

And you still aren't acknowledging that there is more than one definition for the word infinite.

I suppose the word "hot" can only mean having a high temperature?

I really cannot understand how people aren't getting that infinite does not always mean unlimited. I can say, "that man has infinite money". Obviously he has a countable amount. Ever play a videogame with an "infinite money" code? You don't actually get an infinite amount, usually, 999,999,999.

Maybe I should have used the second definition for "infinite". Indefinitely or exceedingly great.

But "immeasurable" also means, "exceedingly great".

Please do not write another post saying that "infinite" means "unlimited". I never said the president had unlimited power. I explained in my third post in the topic what I meant. Again, I am NOT saying he can do anything.

Also Jebus, if you can't be civil don't respond at all. The only person that is "sad" is the person that has to lower himself to insults on an internet message board.
Fight the machine!

Sparrowhawk
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Sparrowhawk » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:59 am

If Jebus wanted lip from you, he'd unzip his fly.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:03 am

Fishtank, what do you think the creator of the thread meant by the word "infinite"?
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Fish Tank
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Fish Tank » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:12 am

I am the creator of this thread.
Fight the machine!

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:17 am

My apologies.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”