Game threads and Postcounts

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

Do you care about postcount?

Yes
27%
No
73%

Total votes: 22

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:08 am

(Originally an edit, but there were threeish posts by the time I actually submitted it, so here it is)
And, in reality, is there any archieval value in the "word association" and "last post" threads?
Hmm, some little triumphs that nobody else will understand? My, those must be really pointless, all of them.
Last edited by zeroguy on Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:12 am

Can you even assign a number as to how involved a member is in a community? It's not even objective.
On another message board I frequent, we can rate each other positively, negatively, or neutrally. And if you add a comment to it, the negative becomes -2 instead of -1 and the positive becomes +2 instead of +1. You can only rate any one member once.

Some people get very upset at negative ratings. I cherish my negative ratings. They're really amusing.
Yeah, I post on a forum that has a "rep" system too. It's quite funny how seriously some people take it. I've never paid much attention to how it works, but I think the more points you have the more you can give (or take), so it's not limited to just 1 or 2 points at a time. I wonder how it would go over on Pweb. Incidently, my rep points are over 5000 on the postive side :D ... Not that I care or anything. 8)

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:28 am

post count = how little life you have.
Says the boy who's one of the top 10 posters.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:30 am

Top ten? I thought I was like, 14th or something.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:32 am

Hate to break it to you, but you're in the top 10 according to the memberlist. And to think, a n00b like eriador still outranks both of us.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:35 am

Damn son, I didn't realize.

Buffy: Isn't that hypocritical?
Giles: ...I prefer to think of it as ironic.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:37 am

It's only hypocritical when noobs do it.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:49 am

I really don't care one way or the other about post counts and haven't for a long time. Even if it were disabled in the game room, it still wouldn't be a good measure of someone's value. It's just as easy to spam fluff in milagre or anywhere else as it is in the game room. Better to just read and decide for yourself who's worthwhile than to rely on a number to do it for you.
The enemy's fly is down.

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:38 am

This goes here too:
You know what? I'm sorry I brought this up at all. I just thought maybe some people might enjoy looking back on those threads and seeing just how ridiculous some of the things people wrote were. I didn't mean for this to turn into a "hate on the people who like trying to get their post count up" thing.

So, please, forget I said anything at all.
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Slim
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Peacocks can't Lurk

Postby Slim » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:54 am

this will be my 21st post, even though I've been around a long time. I just don't post that much. But, even still, I'm #67 on the list of top posters. (woo!) There's actually only 34 people who have more than 100 posts. From the list it seems to me that the people who use the game room the most are posting a lot in the other forums anyway. But then if you look at the top posters, and you say, "who's that?" Then you know there's a problem.

Anyway, I don't care about postcount, since I'll never catch up to anyone. But I do find it ... interesting.
A signature so short, it's
Slim

puppets
Soldier
Soldier

Postby puppets » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:19 am

Heh, I think most of what you are saying to me, you misse don my first post on this thread. I said and anyways, most people who have been here longer, will know the others who have contributed to the forum, and the ones who haven't. I just thinkin gremoving post count wouldnt matter one way or another. Maybe keep the title still, but remove the post count. or make it "invisible". and to make virlomi smile.... moo.

and don't feel bad blueantoid, all of this is in fun. People enjoy debating an dgetting their opinions across, otherwise this wouldn't be a forum. Despite people not agreeing with me : )
"I knew you were searching for him. I didn't want to interfere until you found him. Just in case you think you were really smart, young man, we intercepted four street thugs and two known sex offenders who were after you."

Sister Carlotta

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:12 pm

Thge thing that bothers me is there have been a lot of negative comments, many directed towards people personally. I know most people aren't trying to be mean, but please remember, the Internet does not relate sarcasm well.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:13 pm

i'm trying to be mean. i'm a horrible person :D
Ubernaustrum

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:17 pm

Yeah, you really suck :D

puppets
Soldier
Soldier

Postby puppets » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:20 pm

You don't seem mean Brain... seems more like you don't care what other people think of your opinions. I wouldn't necessarily call that mean.
"I knew you were searching for him. I didn't want to interfere until you found him. Just in case you think you were really smart, young man, we intercepted four street thugs and two known sex offenders who were after you."

Sister Carlotta

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:24 pm

awww i'll never be mean :cry:
Ubernaustrum

suminonA
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby suminonA » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:47 pm

awww i'll never be mean :cry:
Ooooh, cheer up, you'll always be mean to my heart. :D

A.
It's all just a matter of interpretation.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:01 pm

WOOT! :twisted:
Ubernaustrum

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:07 pm

look, you made his tail wag!
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:58 pm

Should have posted this here...
Just a note about the deletion of the threads. There was a long discussion about it in the super-secret mod fortress, and the consensus from all involved was to periodically delete the Word Association and the Last Post threads.
Why? I don't give a hoot about post count, but it's sort of fun to look back at those threads, sometimes, and laugh at the silliness.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:40 pm

Sure you don't, Ela.

I have information that suggests that Ela is actually secretely both Eriador and mr thebrain. She uses her main account to appear nonchalant about her post count, but through her fake personas she furiously posts word after word in Word Association, desperate to be achieve the glory of top poster.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:51 pm

Post count equals squat in my mind. You guys would probably laugh at my total post count over the 6+ years that I've been here. Some people with low post counts on this current board are way more "pweb" in my mind than people who post everyday. (Kenn, Slim, Craig, even LG!) You should judge people on the content of their post, and not determine how valuable they are by how many times they have posted. If people judge me by post count, I would be considered one of the most unvaluable people here. I don't think that is true.
Last edited by steph on Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:54 pm

Maybe not the most invaluable.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:01 pm

Thanks, Jebus....I appreciate the sentiment. :roll:

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:09 pm

Hey, you were mean too. Apparently Kenn, Slim, Craig and LG are way more "pweb" than I am.

That just hurts.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:11 pm

You should judge people on the content of their post, and not determine how valuable they are by how many times they have posted.
Of course content is important, but in my mind, postcount does not mean nothing. However little it does mean, it still means something.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:12 pm

Jeebsy....I was just using some examples. I consider you very pweb. Hug?

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:13 pm

Hugglez.

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:41 pm

Sure you don't, Ela.

I have information that suggests that Ela is actually secretely both Eriador and mr thebrain. She uses her main account to appear nonchalant about her post count, but through her fake personas she furiously posts word after word in Word Association, desperate to be achieve the glory of top poster.

Haha.

:stoned:

liquifiedrainbows
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Game threads and Postcounts

Postby liquifiedrainbows » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:32 pm

Since the sticky is supposed to be a suggestion box, I thought it might be a good idea to make a thread of this in case anyone else wanted to talk about it.

Here's what some people have already said in the Suggestion Box sticky:
Please do your best to preserve postcount, it is useful (to me) in sizing somebody up. Plus, it's rude to decimate somebody's postcount without any warning and without a good reason.
Most people here don't want game threads affecting post counts because they aren't really a good measure of whether a person has become a member of the community.
Some people see post count as one's contributions to the community. A post saying "moo" is a lot less substantive than a detailed rebuttal to some heated debate or whatever.

And I don't think any complaints/suggestions about post count are going to be heeded. An easier solution is: stop worrying about post count, since it doesn't matter.
If it's possible to disable posts in all the game threads, not just the more popular ones, that's my suggestion. I don't want those counting because you get people who post garbage just to post something.
Basically, I tend to think any post is a contribution to the forum. Yes, there are some who just post garbage to get their count up, but sometimes someone just posting "moo" could be in response to someone else's random comment, and wants to have fun and feel included in the randomness.

While postcount doesn't mean much in terms of someone's status among the forum members (some mods only have a few posts while regular members have over a thousand), I enjoy trying to increase my rank, either by joining in a serious discussion, or just having fun goofing around in the Game Room. I've only been here a week, but I enjoy this forum and the people in it.

So, what do you think? Does postcount really matter? Does content matter? Do you think the posts made in game threads shouldn't count the way other posts do?

I'm not trying to turn this into an argument, so please don't take it that way. I just want to see what everyone else thinks.
How about not paying attention to post count at all? I mean why does it really matter? It is just a number. On a forum. That you're on for enjoyment.

I don't know. Maybe I am just insane.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:34 pm

Funnily enough, the post in which you questioned your sanity was the only rational one you made today.

liquifiedrainbows
Soldier
Soldier

Postby liquifiedrainbows » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:37 pm

Wow. You think what you say to me actually matters.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:41 pm

:roll:

What, do you want to get into a pissing match about who cares the least about the other's opinion? I imagine a draw.

liquifiedrainbows
Soldier
Soldier

Postby liquifiedrainbows » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:43 pm

Good. We can end it here.

You can stop paying attention to me now. It is only convincing me I am important enough to talk to anyway.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:46 pm

Well, I wouldn't want to help that self-esteem of yours, after you've decided to go to such lengths to make people dislike you and all.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”