Complete Randomness

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:08 pm

I have discovered that, as with most things that aren't my favorite thing to do, letting me listen to my MP3 player makes it tolerable or even fun. This applies to grocery shopping.

Something I saw while shopping:

I'm not using anything named gorilla boogers on my hair. Same for anything with the word "squizz" on it.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:05 pm

A Dozen of Kirsten's Random Thoughts While Waiting:

1. I can't get the song from 1776 out of my head. The one that starts, "We're waiting for the chirp, chirp, chirp of an eaglet being born." Occasionally the theme from Jeopardy takes its place, but it always goes back.

2. Pumpkin spice latte's rule my world. I'm not drinking much caffeine these days, or much Starbucks, but it's the first day that's felt like fall, so I decided to splurge on a half-caf. YAY.

3. We should start a club on pweb. One for people who have significant others who don't really know much about pweb, just enough to look mystified or resigned when we get excited about limeade or whatever.

(I'm sort of explaining more about it to Donny as I go along. For example, he's known about Ali for awhile now. But pweb has been like a pseudo-interactive diary to me for years, and while I haven't written anything I'd care if he read since we moved in together, I wrote plenty before that. And, also, it's just nice to have a space that's mine.)

4. Kelly, I was driving back from Starbucks, eating pumpkin bread, and I thought about you. Because, these days, it's AMAZING how much better food tastes, how much MORE it tastes. It's just awesome. I feel like Angel in "I Will Remember You" where he becomes human and is just crazy about how food tastes. And, I figure, if this is happening to a non-foodie like me, someday, when it's your turn, your mind is going to be positively blown if you get this effect, given how much you love and appreciate food already.

5. Okay, what was I thinking when I ordered that shirt? Holy psychodelic mumuu mama, Batman. I mean, the fit isn't horrible, but, oh, yikes. This is officially now my shirt-to-wear-when-I-have-no-other-respectable-shirts-that-are-remotely-close-to-clean. At least it was on a serious sale.

6. And at least my new hoodie rocks. And this is the perfect weather for it.

7. And why can I not eat anything without spilling it on myself? (Said after discovering pumpkin seed in cleavage.)

8. Should I try to clean off the desk today? That'd be a good project, because then there would be room around the sewing machine and I can get started on making my first sewing machine project. (A simple purse.) But that would be wo--ooork.

9. I'm totally jealous of Teresa's avatar. Glow-in-the-dark kitteh for the WIN.

10. Please, please, please, Reece. Please don't have another UTI problem. I thought those were gone since we switched you over to wet food. Oh, crap, is it the treats from football?

11. Hm. I could maybe use this shirt to practice sewing on if it turns out I hate it that much. Or, who knows, maybe it'll grow on me? At least there's enough room in the chest, not counting the seam that's too high, and ample room in the tummy for awhile. But, you know, it's good to have options and not feel like I've totally wasted money if I don't want to wear it. Or, there's always consignment.

12. OOoh. English muffin with cream cheese would go well with pumpkin-spice latte. Toaster-time!
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Jared only sort of knows pweb. He knows OF pweb. He knows that I mail things. He doesn't really understand the awesome that is pweb.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:38 pm

I have occasionally thought how, whenever I get a significant significant other, I shall explain this place too him. Hopefully I'm not one who will mysteriously vanish from the board. But I can't decide whether I'll want him to join it or not.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:55 pm

3. We should start a club on pweb. One for people who have significant others who don't really know much about pweb, just enough to look mystified or resigned when we get excited about limeade or whatever.
Chris doesn't get pweb much. he knows I have friends here, and that I want to meet some in October in Portland. But he wants to come to make sure I don't get killed or something.
9. I'm totally jealous of Teresa's avatar. Glow-in-the-dark kitteh for the WIN.
:D

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:59 pm

Man, I can't imagine if Paul had an internet place that I didn't stalk as well. I guess we're just that kind of a couple. We have to know everything about each other's business. :D
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:37 pm

(I'm sort of explaining more about it to Donny as I go along. For example, he's known about Ali for awhile now. But pweb has been like a pseudo-interactive diary to me for years, and while I haven't written anything I'd care if he read since we moved in together, I wrote plenty before that. And, also, it's just nice to have a space that's mine.)
David doesn't really know about Pweb. He knows about it, in that he sees me on it all the time. He knows that I have met many of you. He knows I mailed and received gifts for the Handmade Gift Exchange. He doesn't really know I met you all via the internet. I think he assumes you're "real-life" (sorry, Alea, I know you hate that) friends that I now keep in touch with on a private forum due to distance? I had him read ENDER'S GAME earlier this year and he really, really liked it. Still, I will never tell him to join up here, and I'd discourage him from joining if he found it on his own. (Not that he would; it's not his thing). Not because there are things I want to keep from him on here, but, like Kirsten said, I have very much used Pweb as an interactive diary. I have not always been my best self here. And while David knows about every single thing that I've ever wrote about on here, my telling him about it and being open and honest with that information is different from him going in and reading all my old Bob posts, or whatever is left lying around in the breakup thread about the whole Henry fiasco. It's a level of privacy we maintain in our relationship. If David ever asked to know more, I'd tell him. If he wanted to join despite my discouragement, well, then he would. We do not deliberately keep things from each other in our relationship, and we do not lie. We are, instead, the guardians of each others' solitude.

And David has actually met a Pwebber. He met Janelle when we were all still living in New York.

4. Kelly, I was driving back from Starbucks, eating pumpkin bread, and I thought about you. Because, these days, it's AMAZING how much better food tastes, how much MORE it tastes. It's just awesome. I feel like Angel in "I Will Remember You" where he becomes human and is just crazy about how food tastes. And, I figure, if this is happening to a non-foodie like me, someday, when it's your turn, your mind is going to be positively blown if you get this effect, given how much you love and appreciate food already.
I am so excited that you are enjoying food. I am so excited you referenced Angel (which I am currently rewatching). I am so excited about pumpkin bread. And I am so, so excited and hopeful that I'll get to experience these sensations in a few years!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:15 pm

And David has actually met a Pwebber. He met Janelle when we were all still living in New York.
Man, that means he's more real than me. And he's not even on the board. But I guess there are a lot of people who fit that category.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:24 pm

There was a post here, but I meant to quote it and then ended up editing it. See post further down in the thread for the reason I was quoting it. Ooops.
Last edited by starlooker on Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:14 pm

Mark knows all about pweb and always has (since being married came first) but I'm glad he has no desire to come here. He thinks it's one of my weird nerdy things, like when I went to Endercon. I don't think I've written anything that he doesn't know but mostly I think he wouldn't approve of how much I share with "strangers" on the internet. At least I write it here and not on facebook! And he is also "real" since v-girl came to visit and stayed at our house on two occasions. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:28 pm

Angie knows about PWeb, probably because I wore the heck out of my PWeb shirts. She doesn't really know I'm back. and I don't think she's ever been on the site. But I don't have anything to hide. I haven't posted much overly personal here (at least on this iteration) so if she found it, I wouldn't care.

I don't think she has interest in spying on me in that way though, so I'm not hiding it, but I'm not advertising it either.
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:22 pm

I think the difference for me is, I don't see here as an interactive diary. It's like one big love letter; to you all, to myself (I hope that doesn't come across poorly but eh if it does), to what has been in my life, is, and will be.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that I have written that I wouldn't be okay with someone in the SO role seeing (family and local friends, different story). As is usual with me, I'd be embarrassed but that's about it.

I can't really say why, because I don't know, haven't thought about it hard enough and really have been shooting from the hip, but I'd be hurt if someone I loved on that level didn't want to be a part of it, even on a superficial, posts once every blue moon sort of way. This place is important to me and because it feels like such an extension of who I am (or what I hold dear to me, not sure what the difference is in some ways), I want it recognized, known about, and in a way, investigated.

That's why, to me, it would be hiding or lying. A dude has a lot to worry about how important he is to me if he doesn't know about this place.
Last edited by Gravity Defier on Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:42 pm

You know, Alea, that really makes sense to me.

I mean, it makes sense to me regarding you, as much as I know you. (Not regarding anyone else's handling of pweb/SO's.) Heck, now that you mention it, I'd almost be hurt if you didn't introduce an important SO to pweb :)

(Not that you shouldn't feel free to change your mind if/when it comes down to it.)

I think another part of it is that, for me, I've ALWAYS compartmentalized my friends and relationships and get terribly freaked out and nervous whenever any of the compartments overlap. I mean, in North Dakota, I had my graduate school friends and my non-school friends, and none of them met at all until my going away party. Even though they vaguely knew about each other. I don't know why I'm like that, exactly. It's not that one compartment is any more important than another -- I love people dearly in all compartments -- it's just how I manage things, I guess.

Still, I'd like to meet so many of you, someday (and some Denver people I would love to meet again), and I'd plan for Donny to be at least part of pretty much any meet-ups I would have. But even that's way different than having him read what I write here.

(Also, please don't get the impression from the "interactive diary" comment that the people here aren't important to me. That's certainly not the sum total of it, and people here are very real to me. I do consider my pweb friends to be my friends. )
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:22 am

nervous whenever any of the compartments overlap
You gotta keep your worlds separate!

It should probably be no surprise that I sympathize :) Even not counting online people, I do that all the time, although it tends to just... happen, without me trying to do it, really.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:29 am

I changed the email address associated with my account, and then it told me my account was rendered inactive by the change. Even though all I had to to was confirm my email, I still very nearly cried.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:06 am

I think another part of it is that, for me, I've ALWAYS compartmentalized my friends and relationships and get terribly freaked out and nervous whenever any of the compartments overlap. I mean, in North Dakota, I had my graduate school friends and my non-school friends, and none of them met at all until my going away party. Even though they vaguely knew about each other. I don't know why I'm like that, exactly. It's not that one compartment is any more important than another -- I love people dearly in all compartments -- it's just how I manage things, I guess.
I do this, to a lesser extent, but it reminds me so forcibly of a quote from My So-Called Life:

"What I, like, dread is when people who know you in completely different ways end up in the same area. You have to develop this, like, combination you on the spot."
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:10 am

Randomness:

I bought a bunch of DVDs at a Blockbuster store-closing this week. They were awesomely cheap. I looked at them when I got home and laughed because I got:

Superman
Superman II
Superman III
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Hellboy II
X-Men
X-Men 2
V for Vendetta

and

...Fiddler on the Roof.

One of these things is seriously not like the others.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:11 am

I forgive you. :)
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:52 am

(Also, please don't get the impression from the "interactive diary" comment that the people here aren't important to me.
You don't do all day refresh-athons for people who don't matter. :)

I only jumped back in to the discussion because I felt like maybe I made other people feel like I was accusing them of not being honest with their SOs or whathaveyou. You hit it right on the head for me, Kirsten, when you made the disclaimer that a lot of what each of us are saying is applicable only to ourselves. Which is great; we're all different people.

Also, I'm not going to harp on it (at least, not at the moment), mostly because this whole line of thought is making me think about things I hadn't given much consideration to, but I also compartmentalize people in my life. As I stated above, I do not consider family or local friends to be people I would want to know about Pweb and yet, for them, it doesn't feel like I'm hiding or lying. I don't know how it works. I shall overthink it, though I probably won't report back in with the results.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:03 pm

It's easy to overthink, I found myself teetering on the cliff of overthinking my compartmentalization issues when I pulled myself back with a firm, "Let's not go there right now, shall we?"

~~~~~~

Random: I wish pweb had a "Like" button. For some reason, this morning, I keep wanting to "Like" posts and then remember that, "HEY! Wrong medium!"
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:17 pm

Yeah, sometimes it's easier to just say "Yeah! Like!" then to think of a real response.

My randomness: Brian bought a 7 ft tavern table with 4 chairs. It is AWESOME! It was only a hundred bucks. But now I have to find somewhere to store it until we move into a house big enough for it.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:49 am

Where are you storing it right now?
Yay, I'm a llama again!

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:27 am

It's currently in my dad's truck. Brian's planning on using it at my parent's house tomorrow for our pirate party. After that, we're going to take the legs off and try and get them and the chairs in our crawlspace and we're trying to figure out how to secure the top along the side wall of our garage.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:50 pm

You know your dance teacher is awesome when he jokes about us spontaneously jumping around like monkeys - when he says a codeword - when a university tour groups passes by our room, in the gym.

And then, a week later, gives the signal and starts jumping up and down like an orangutan... to the hilarious confusion of the gawking people who are being shown our wonderful University.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:02 pm

Me, too, for you! (Seriously. If you get this effect, I will desperately wish to like, mind-meld with you for a day or something, because you are so much better equipped to enjoy it and cook to it.)

Pineapple right now is the new flavor sensation. If there ever was a proof that there is a God who loves humanity, it is the existence of pineapple. And oranges. And fruit smoothies. And peanut butter on toasted English muffins.
Scratch this. Screw food. Oh my gosh. Now that it's happening for the second trimester in a row, I have realized it's a pattern. Food becomes amazingly wonderful right before the hunger pains get to a point of being completely out of control, but even though you're hungry you don't want to eat and absolutely nothing tastes good anymore.

*frustrated with her body*
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:30 pm

0:38 is me right now. Yay for having a very very scratchy voice!

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Re:

Postby locke » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:32 pm

I think the difference for me is, I don't see here as an interactive diary. It's like one big love letter; to you all, to myself (I hope that doesn't come across poorly but eh if it does), to what has been in my life, is, and will be.
(Also, please don't get the impression from the "interactive diary" comment that the people here aren't important to me. That's certainly not the sum total of it, and people here are very real to me. I do consider my pweb friends to be my friends. )
The big secret is that pweb is fully ractive and we're all just ractors taking part in someone's story/world, we're paid from the trust fund of some mysteriously mysterious benefactor (ala Magwitch).
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Re: Re:

Postby starlooker » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:52 pm

The big secret is that pweb is fully ractive and we're all just ractors taking part in someone's story/world, we're paid from the trust fund of some mysteriously mysterious benefactor (ala Magwitch).
But who? Whose story or world? And who is the mysteriously mysterious benefactor gracing my world with the presence of pwebbers? (I ask that last question because, since no one is paying me out of any trust fund, I'm assuming it's my story/world even as I am modestly asking the first question).
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Re: Complete Randomness

Postby locke » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:58 pm

just how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go, Investigator Starlooker?
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:05 pm

All the way. All the way.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:12 pm

All the way. All the way.
That's what she said.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:42 pm

Hahaha!

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:59 pm

I am blessed with eyebrows that don't need any plucking or waxing.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:00 pm

That IS awesome. I definitely have to do some plucking, though at least I'll never have to fill in with a pencil or anything...they are plenty full.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:27 pm

I am blessed with eyebrows that don't need any plucking or waxing.

Me too.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”