Crafty Craftiness

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:34 pm

WAAAAANT!!
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:31 pm

NEEEEEED!!

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:42 pm

That is so cute!
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:45 pm

Cute? I think one of my ovaries twitched.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:55 pm

I sent a link to Nomi a while back with the patterns for all your favorite SW characters. Now we just need to convince her to make them!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:40 am

I saw this today:

I want one.
Eeee so cute!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:39 pm

Oh wow, that's almost too cute!
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:21 pm

Here are the patterns Steph mentioned. I didn't buy them because I never buy patterns but if enough of you want me to make them, I will. Either just the Ewok or maybe the two for $6 deal (Ewok and Yoda?). I could probably do them for $5 each to cover shipping and yarn costs. Let me know if anyone is seriously interested and I'll look into buying the pattern and some yarn.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:31 pm

Nomi, if I were to purchase the patterns for all 10 of them, how much would you charge to make all of them for me? I'm thinking stocking stuffers for my boys... :) (Then other pwebbers could choose anyone they wanted!)

ETA: Actually, depending on the price, I would possibly be interested in 3 sets. Do you do bulk pricing? :D

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:58 pm

I wouldn't let you buy the patterns because I'll get the benefit of using them indefinitely. The only reason I don't do more amigurumi is that it's very time consuming with all the sewing together of tiny body parts and changing yarn colors a million times.

Anyway, there are 13 yarn colors that I would need to get for the 10 figures. Let me see what I can get this week at the store but I would guess it would be somewhere around $40 in yarn. How about $20 over the yarn cost (for the three sets), including shipping and you don't pay for the patterns? We can continue this in pm if you want. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:39 am

Squeeeee, Chewbacca!

I'd be sorely tempted to buy a Chewie, but I honestly don't know when I could splash out on it, so don't count on me.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:49 am

I'd be sorely tempted to buy a Chewie, but I honestly don't know when I could splash out on it, so don't count on me.
Exchange Wicket for Chewie, for me, but otherwise, this. Which is to say, in my case, I need to survive holiday stuff first, then I can worry about me.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:13 pm

Okay, I bought the patterns. I got most of the yarn at the big box craft stores yesterday but had the hardest time finding the yarn for Chewie and the skin colored yarn. Also, none of the three stores had the black safety eyes. GEEZ. So, I ordered the eyes online and they should be here in a few days. I went to a local, overpriced yarn store today and paid WAY too much but got the perfect Chewie yarn and skin colored yarn. I hope to be able to start this weekend.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:03 pm

Ooooh, I may put this on the Christmas list my mom is having me make, ahead of the Sharpies that are on there, even. If a Ruben or Carol same last name contact you via Facebook, they're with me. :)

-------------------------

I am a little pissed off at myself because I could have made my craft person a t-shirt (in addition to current project) but I didn't know I could make a shirt with my tweens until it was too late to grab the appropriate image off a computer to use as a sight-guide and it is something I couldn't draw using nothing but my mental image-bank. This, on the other hand, I could draw with nothing to look at:

And doing double duty, the postcard from Jan came today but with no scribbles. I won't be selfish, though; I got my scribbles in my book.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:18 pm

I think I spoke too soon about the Chewie yarn. I emailed the person I bought the patterns from to ask her what yarn she uses for him. I'm hoping the local yarn store takes returns. This is getting ridiculous!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:15 pm

It took almost all day but I got the first one done. Here is R2D2:

I think he turned out pretty good. Anyway, that's the only one I can do until I get the plastic eyes but I'm working on arms and other bits in the meantime.

Alea, I'd love to make you a set at some point but there's no way I'll be able to make another set before Christmas. They take way longer than I had figured. Sorry!

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:17 pm

I was only interested in the Ewok for the time being but I hear ya. :)

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:33 pm

I'm just thrilled! I was really nervous about doing a Secret Santa thing at work, because I only know about half the people (the other half I couldn't pick out in a crowd if my life depended on it). But the name I pulled is totally someone I know well and get along with!

Why this fits here is we're doing a month-long version, with 4 presents (max $20). But I know my person will love homemade cookies and my jewellery! So I'm probably not even going to spend twenty bucks, but she'll get a great set of gifts! Haha, no little packs of gum presents for me! (Actually, I love gum, so I won't mind getting it, but I really like a chance to do/make nice stuff for people and make them feel really special.)

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:42 pm

Awwww!! He's awesome! Brian and I are beyond excited!!

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:29 pm

Nomi, that's adorable!
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:48 pm

I just finished seven out of ten. I must say that Yoda is my favorite so far. I only have the three humans left. They look like the hardest to do. Here goes nothing!

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:09 pm

Nom, you're AWESOME!!! Thank you SO much!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:40 am

I did my sister's necklace! I still have to glue down the coloured crystals, but it's basically done! (I may also re-do the connections between the medallions with oval jumprings instead, we'll see.) Chem geeks, science geeks, or anyone, what do you think of my ethylamine necklace?

Sorry about the blurriness, I have a hard time taking good pics of my jewellery. The top crystal (nitrogen) is green and the bottom two (carbon) are a pale peach.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:42 am

Very pretty! What's the size of each medallion?

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:35 am

Falling squarely into the "anyone" category, I think it's beautiful! But more pictures, with close ups and such, would help me solidify that. ;)

(Cuz we are living in a visual world and I am a visual girl)
So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways, all my underdogs.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:58 pm

*salaam*

Your wish is my command.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:06 am

This:
Very pretty! What's the size of each medallion?
So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways, all my underdogs.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:06 pm

Maybe an inch in diameter? A bit larger than I wanted, originally, but I still like the way it looks.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:58 pm

I got a package today! Nomi, they are AWESOME!!! And you are AMAZING!!! I'll be taking some pictures after the boys go to bed. I'm so excited!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:11 pm

I'm so glad you like them! I'll be starting on the next sets when I get back from CA. :)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:44 am

Pattern info for items in the gift exchange thread:

Here is the pattern for the hat. You need to use fpdc (front post double crochet) and fptc (front post triple crochet) to make the cables. You can do a search for these terms and find good picture and video tutorials for the stitches. The pattern page itself has good pictures to explain the order of the stitches to get the cables.

And Here is the pattern for the scarf. This one is much easier. The only stitch other than chain and single crochet you need to know is fsc (foundation single crochet) and the pattern page has a link to a tutorial. The only thing that I have found wrong with the pattern is that I do a multiple of 10 + 1 (not + 2) for the beginning fsc row, then chain 1 and turn (for example 391 or 411 fsc, plus one regular chain). Otherwise it doesn't work out right. I usually start with a beginning row somewhere around 400 and then work til I run out of yarn. You can use any sock yarn or fingering weight yarn. I LOVE this pattern and have made it five times, working on my sixth.

If anyone is registered at ravelry.com, you can find my projects under Lutya. That's where I find almost all of my patterns.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:10 am

Ugh, I've come to the awful conclusion that I'm going to have to start hanging out at WalMart about once or twice a month to start "browsing" paint sample strips. Is that morally wrong, taking the little things, a semi-large-ish quantity over time, if I don't intend to buy paint? What if I buy something else while there?

I want to do a stained glass window image and those would be perfect.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:43 am

They don't all have to be from Walmart, do they? Take some from Walmart, some from Home Depot, some from Lowes...so you don't feel so bad about taking them all from one place. That is, if you have all of those stores nearby.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:45 am

I'm pretty sure you can write to paint companies and request a free ring/book of paint chip samples. You may or may not have to pay for shipping, though.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:28 am

They don't all have to be from Walmart, do they?
Nah. I only said them because I can easily walk to and from them from/to my house.

There's a Home Depot on the same side of town as the library I work at but given my other timed walks in the area (I walk during my lunch and don't want to be late coming back) and it being about twice the distance of where I normally go, I'd only possibly have enough time to walk straight there and back with no time to actually go inside. I can't ride my bike unless I break down and buy a bike lock, which I may need to do anyhow, seeing as it's that or my legs that I rely on to get anywhere.

Lowes is just far enough from my house that I'd be annoyed by having to walk there.

I'll look into ordering a ring of samples.

Thanks. :)
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”