Those Personal Triumphs No One Else Will Ever Understand

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:29 am

First job interview, today.

I was late :lol:
I was late for the interview at the job that I am now working at! Fear not!

Of course, I was only late because of 1)construction 2)insane parking and 3) not really knowing where to park so ending up being ten blocks away from the interview and sprinting the entire way.

"Um, do you want water, or to wait a minute or something?"

"*gasp* No, *wheeze*, I'm fine, I'm fine, let's do this!"
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:16 pm

I didn't kill anyone yesterday.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:04 pm

First job interview, today.

I was late :lol:
I was late for the interview at the job that I am now working at! Fear not!

Of course, I was only late because of 1)construction 2)insane parking and 3) not really knowing where to park so ending up being ten blocks away from the interview and sprinting the entire way.

"Um, do you want water, or to wait a minute or something?"

"*gasp* No, *wheeze*, I'm fine, I'm fine, let's do this!"
Well...I didn't get the job...so....
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:15 pm

It happens. But I definitely suggest trying to be a few minutes early because that can make all the difference! That and have a good handshake. You'd be amazed the difference a good handshake can make.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:29 pm

I don't think anyone gets the job after their very first interveiw, unless they're freakishly lucky.
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:14 am

I think it was more because I don't have any Leadership Experience.

*Myname*,

After careful consideration of your experience, qualifications and those of our other applicants, we simply do not feel that you have the qualifications necessary at this time to be successful at the *myschool* Telefund.

Please feel free to reapply at a future time in your schooling at *myschool*.

Regards,

Which I'm correcting today.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:33 pm

Which I'm correcting today.
That is a great idea, dude. Next time. Next time.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:04 pm

I don't think anyone gets the job after their very first interveiw, unless they're freakishly lucky.
Hehe. :D

You just gots to have the connections, man.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:50 am

I've only been on two interviews in my life, for the two jobs that I had. I was freakishly lucky.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:33 pm

I am making a Thanksgiving dinner, and I don't care if it's only for the three of us! I found a smallish Turkey (6lbs) and bought the ingredients to make stuffing, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, roast potatoes, roast carrots, homemade buns and pumpkin pie. I justified the money because we can live off leftovers for several days. I love turkey sandwiches.
I will have my damn thanksgiving dinner! And it will be so very tasty.

PS. Yes, it's Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend. For those not keeping track, it's the 2nd Monday in October. :P
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:51 pm

What do Canadians even have to be thankful "aboot"?
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:43 pm

I was on a study-date with this girl I like, and we were talking about how bad we both are at dancing.

So I start telling her this story about how I was at this one frat party and this (attractive) girl actually asked me (woah) if I needed someone to dance with, and I said "sure...how do I dance?" and long story short I tried to dance with her, but apparently did it wrong. Maybe I was supposed to grind her? Stand closer to her? I don't know. So, after a couple of minutes, she said "lol okay this isn't working out" and another guy cut in.

(I also saw this girl the next week at a social event, and she remembered me as "the bad dancer".)

And my friend told me she heard the story before, from the girl, about this bad dancer guy the girl met at a party.

But, apparently I made a "good impression", through my bad dancing, and she said good stuff about me that my friend couldn't "betray her trust" and tell me! LMAO, apparently this girl "likes bad dancers"! My bad dancing actually worked out as a good thing, that is a triumph!

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:53 pm

Should we start a 'black guys who can't dance' club?
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:04 pm

Yes, we should.

Yay to defying stereotypes!

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:20 pm

Posting this from my new phone ^_^ I feel so cool...

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:12 pm

I don't know how to word this one or set it up properly but: my tree. I'm proud of my tree and proud of myself for being a part in its growth thus far.

I took some lousy pictures of it, as it wasn't the target of any of those photos, unevenly spaced out over the past almost two years and from different angles so it's hard to show people who haven't been here to see with their own eyes but I took this little thing that my brother almost let die, that the weather almost killed while it was in a weakened state, that was shorter than me and just this wimpy little thing and turned it into a tree (a desert tree, mind you, but a tree). It's now twice my height and I gave it a haircut yesterday to help encourage growth, so now I can walk underneath it!

My dad saw it yesterday, as did Voldemort two days ago, and both mentioned something to me about what a good job I've done with it and that just felt damn good.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:10 pm

Sorry for another vidyagame-related post here, but I'm pretty sure this will be the last one for a very long time.

From a couple of months ago or so:
A few weeks ago I started playing Super Metroid on and off. [...] for some reason partway through I got the idea to do... well, not quite a "suitless" run (where you don't collect the varia nor gravity suit), but kind of a semi-suitless run. [...] I would have done suitless, but I find maridia tedious enough as it is...
This has been bothering me since I did this. The "semi"-suitless run that I did involved manually disabling one of the suits, so unless I taped myself doing the run or something, there's not much evidence or whatever that I did this.

So, of course, I decided to do an actual suitless run, where I never collect the varia nor grav (nor spacejump nor springball... I think that's it). Since I already did the Norfair part before, this should be relatively easy, right? The only additional challenge is Maridia, and that should just be a bit tedious but not too difficult.

Holy balls.

I didn't even look up what was necessary to do this before I did it... and did not realize that suitless Maridia requires at least two glitches that I don't really like exploiting. (Forcing your way through a one-block-thick solid ceiling, and the so-called "flash suit") I found that out right about when I got to Maridia... and had already played through quite a bit.

But I got through it. Underwater sand likes to glitch out a lot without the grav suit, and Draygon was tedious as hell for the blind shots I had to made, but in general it wasn't so bad. Took less than a day.

But man, lower Norfair. I thought it would be easier since I had done the exact same thing before, and I suppose it was, but man. It is still not easy at all. The damn Ridley section still probably took around a day in total to do just by itself, though it was spread across several days. That was probably the most frustrating part, since I kept retrying to run, only to die, with the knowledge that not only is it possible, but I had done it myself! Recently, too.

And then after I did the section, I almost didn't have enough energy to make it back out! At first I was very frustrated with myself for saving in such a condition, before I realized it is technically possible to farm life and powerups in that area, albeit very... very slowly. But I did it enough to get out.

And earlier today I finished that, and the rest of the game. I now have a save file pretty close to the endgame with no suits collected. It feels good, as I'm sure not many people have done that on a console (no matter how pointless doing it was, that fact about it still counts!). But mostly I just feel tired. Too many damn video games for today.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:41 am

I should be rejoining the workforce on a more permanent basis in a few days. I had a drug screening on monday, a physical yesterday and will go to orientation on friday (which, from what she said on the phone, will mostly consist of all the official paperwork stuff). I'll also have contractor orientation at the job site sometime next week after which I'll start work.
The enemy's fly is down.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:46 pm

I should be rejoining the workforce on a more permanent basis in a few days.
Yay! Congratulations, Josh!

Phenious
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Phenious » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:42 pm

Just won a game with my tyranid. I struggle to get even just a draw most of the time, so I'm really proud of myself when I win. I just wish it didn't come down to luck or out lasting the other guy. I would love to win out right, at least a little more often. Hard to do when your army has no tanks and everyone else does in surplus.
Come visit my art, its awesome! [url]http://drakeintentions.deviantart.com/[url/]

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:16 am

For the past four years (including this year), I've tracked every book I've read in an attempt to make it to 52. I haven't done that (yet) but tonight I did just beat my previous record, set in 2008, and it is in the 40s so I'm almost at the goal. Even if I don't make that, I can be happy I've done better than all my previous efforts.

Given how slow a reader I am and how picky a reader I am, this feels pretty good. :)

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:38 am

For the past four years (including this year), I've tracked every book I've read in an attempt to make it to 52. I haven't done that (yet) but tonight I did just beat my previous record, set in 2008, and it is in the 40s so I'm almost at the goal. Even if I don't make that, I can be happy I've done better than all my previous efforts.

Given how slow a reader I am and how picky a reader I am, this feels pretty good. :)
Go you! I've never remembered to track that well. And my habit of picking up a book (one I've read before) and reading it for a while out of order until I feel like reading something else really complicates it.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:09 pm

Nate's best friend (who I dislike) had a facebook status friday of: "Drink 6 beers during a 42 minute train ride into the city? Challenge Accepted."

The triumph is that I did not respond "Finding you detestable yet tolerating your presence in my fiance's life? Challenge Accepted."
-Kim

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:26 pm

Oh, I hear you. My best friend (SIL) is married to a guy that I can't STAND. Every time he posts on FB, I have to keep from posting anything back.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:39 pm

Yeah... I mean... just... really? You're 25! Shouldn't you be over being proud of pretty much binge drinking? Really?
-Kim

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:55 pm

This guy is 47, has a one year old baby, recently lost his job, might have to declare bankruptcy and spends all his time (during the week and the weekend) riding motocross and kiteboarding.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:43 pm

Okay so, I think everyone could actually understand this one...

accomplishment: I got my permit today AND got to drive around the city a little. And I didn't crash or anything :)
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:55 pm

I totally fixed the brakes on one of my clients' walker. Woo! It's been bugging me for weeks.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:08 pm

My finger nails actually peek over my finger tips. I haven't bitten them for almost a week now! No matter how many times i've tried this, i've never gone this long without bitting them.
Last edited by Petra456 on Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:56 pm

I has datez Thursdayz!
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:21 pm

I finally got around to being trained on tube feed and meds. At last. And N was having such an adorable, smiley day! Perfect to work with her! :)

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:53 pm

I completely edited eight articles over the past five days, including substantive and technical edits, as well as verifying that every single cited source actually say what the authors claim it says (and finding the actual page numbers it was said on).

My brain is about to explode.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:46 pm

Okay so, I think everyone could actually understand this one...

accomplishment: I got my permit today AND got to drive around the city a little. And I didn't crash or anything :)
I missed this when you posted, so now I say WAY TO GO!!

And I couldn't think of anywhere else to post this, soooo....
My folks and I are starting a small catering business ^_^

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:30 pm

Apparently did well enough in my Oxford Uni admissions test that they've decided to interview me - yay!

What's not so good is that I'm expected to arrive there on Sunday 12th at 5pm, and leave AT THE EARLIEST noon Wednesday. That's one long interview.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:24 pm

Yeesh! Where are you travelling from that the trains will take you so long?

Good show, though! Which college are you applying for?
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Return to “Milagre Town Square”