Ender's Game Back in Development

A place to discuss official news from the production of the Ender's Game film, due in theaters November 2013
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Ender's Game Back in Development

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:23 am

Ender's Game film is back in development with Wolverine director

More than a year after being declared dead by no less an authority than Orson Scott Card himself, the Ender's Game movie is unexpectedly back in development. The L.A. Times is reporting that X-Men Origins: Wolverine director Gavin Hood is now working on the project and just did a rewrite of Card's last screenplay.
So.... cautious optimism, tempered by a generous helping of reality?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:51 am

I have lost all my optimism.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:32 pm

In the LA Times article that the article you linked to was based on, they have THE major EG spoiler without warning. They warn about a stupid EiE spoiler but in the previous paragraph they say this:
Against this backdrop comes Andrew Wiggin, also known as Ender, a child who becomes a top-flight solider and helps to save Earth (by fighting simulations that turn out to be real).
I guess they assume that anyone reading this article are already EG fans and so they don't need to worry about spoiling the ending?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:34 pm

I reached an "it'll happen when it happens" mindset years ago. No news will get me excited or disappointed until I see an actual teaser poster/trailer with a release date.
In the LA Times article that the article you linked to was based on, they have THE major EG spoiler without warning. They warn about a stupid EiE spoiler but in the previous paragraph they say this:
And the EiE spoiler they warn about isn't even accurate. :roll:
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:53 pm

That's what I thought but I only read EiE once and it was a long time ago.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:57 pm

I'd guess you've read it one more time than whoever wrote the article.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:08 pm

I'm guessing the "adam" who commented was locke?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:51 pm

fine i'll be the one to say it.

sweet!

anyway, i liked wolverine. it was enjoyable, and a damn sight better than the original xmen movies. if OSC doesn't ruin it by being overly particular on the screenplay... it could actually happen.
Ubernaustrum

Glaucon
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Glaucon » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:51 pm

Has it occurred to anyone else that the director of Tsotsi and Wolverine could potentially be perfectly suited to direct Ender's Game?

Consider that OSC has discussed that any film adaptation he makes of EG would combine elements of EG and ES, giving the first sequences of Tsotsi definite insight to realizing both books. No?

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:59 am

I'm trying to contact Gavin Hood as we speak....
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Kendareru
Launchie
Launchie
First Joined: 0- 0-2003

Postby Kendareru » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:19 pm

*fingers crossed*
The Cat in the Fedora
Writer/Artist/Lazy Feline
"In the beginning, Mohammad begot ADAM... and thus the road to New Eden was paved amongst the stars." ~Project ADAM, a Science Fiction Religious Satire

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:38 pm

fine i'll be the one to say it.

sweet!

anyway, i liked wolverine. it was enjoyable, and a damn sight better than the original xmen movies. if OSC doesn't ruin it by being overly particular on the screenplay... it could actually happen.
That's incredible, I honestly thought there would be no cross-section between people who liked Ender's Game and people who liked the Wolverine film.

You're a very interesting specimen, mr_thebrain.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:42 pm

MARS NEEDS MOMS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBFUAW6jC_M

Watch this, and tell me if it doesn't make you realize that EG can now be a fully CG pic...
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Sumerset
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Sumerset » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:40 pm

MARS NEEDS MOMS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBFUAW6jC_M

Watch this, and tell me if it doesn't make you realize that EG can now be a fully CG pic...
I disagree whole-heartedly. A CG pic of EG would be, in my books, complete blasphemy. It would, in my eyes, loose it's touch with reality and in doing so, cause the characters to become less human -in a sense. To me, the injection of realism in EG is what makes it so good. CG would not do it justice.

However, Gavin Hood could be a great director for EG. He's done Wolverine, yes, but he's also done an award wining picture that was drama based - not action. That would be the perfect combination for a directer of EG to have.
Last edited by Sumerset on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:07 pm

i agree with the new guy. :)

also

cartoons look all pretty nowadays, but they are still just pretty cartoons. they are at the point where they don't look real, and they don't look fake enough to be cartoons either. it's like they have an identity crisis.
Ubernaustrum

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:50 pm

I think that the technology to do EG fully CG has been around for at least a few years now, but count me among those who want to see live action. I want to see Ender as a flesh and blood boy. I want to see buggers in the flesh too. I want to see this universe come to life like Middle-Earth in the LotR films.

While an animated film would be better than nothing, I'd be disappointed if that's all we ever get.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:47 pm

I agree, Ender's Game should be done in live-action. Animated would be okay, but I've always seen Ender in the flesh. I'll just be happy with what ever we get. But if it sucks, I'm blaming it on the director, BIG TIME.
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:15 pm

Neo,

"Want to see Buggers in the flesh"???

Like the giant insects in "Starship Troopers", perhaps?

I do want to see the film as (predominantly) live action, but--more importantly--I WANT TO SEE THE FILM!!!!
--Boothby

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:17 am

Okay, poor choice of words. I mean to say that I want to see them interacting with a real world. But hey, a little bit of old-school puppetry might not be so bad. :wink:
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

JohnLocke
Launchie
Launchie

Postby JohnLocke » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:49 pm

If CG is used, I would be utterly disappointed. It would be like watching Beowulf with little kids!

I hope that OSC is relying on the feedback of EG fans to produce it because an all CG movie would just be sad. They also need to get an AMAZING chld to play ender because if they mess his character up, the whole movie will be ruined. Anyone agree?
"It was what I was born for, isn't it? If I don't go, why am I alive?"

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:11 pm

*raises hand* I agree.
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:54 pm

From a few weeks ago:
I still have hope that we'll get a decent movie out of the current team. But I'll tell you this: I would rather have no movie than a bad one. And if this attempt doesn't come up with a script that is both good and Ender's Game, I'm shelving it for the rest of my life. I've given this time-sucking project too many years of my life already. I have a dozen novels that can be adapted far more easily to the screen than Ender's Game, and I'll put my movie-developing time into them.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:07 am

fine, but EG is probably the only one i'll go see....
Ubernaustrum

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:01 am

From a few weeks ago:
I still have hope that we'll get a decent movie out of the current team. But I'll tell you this: I would rather have no movie than a bad one. And if this attempt doesn't come up with a script that is both good and Ender's Game, I'm shelving it for the rest of my life. I've given this time-sucking project too many years of my life already. I have a dozen novels that can be adapted far more easily to the screen than Ender's Game, and I'll put my movie-developing time into them.
I am popping out of a lurk for the first time in ages to say that I am not sure whether to be delighted or terrified by this prospect. I read the full interview that this came from, and the man is clearly upset about the general poor quality of the screenwriter's he's worked with, and if this latest attempt doesn't fly we'll probably never see an Ender's Game movie. On the other hand.....I'd love to see other OSC books turned into movies/television series as well.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:35 pm

From just the other day:
Roberto Orci revealed on Twitter that he is involved in the [Ender's game movie] project with writing/producer-partner Alex Kurtzman.
Looks like things are chugging along...
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:09 pm

Look what a friend of mine found
http://movies.ign.com/articles/114/1147535p1.html
From the writer-producers of Transformers and Star Trek and the director of X-Men Origins: Wolverine comes Ender's Game.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:01 pm

Yeah, I saw the Hollywood Reporter article the other day. I'm not holding my breath, especially considering WB is purportedly interested in it, again. But any movement on the project is good news, given that OSC is thisclose to giving up.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:02 am

At this point I'm actually a little concerned about what will happen if they do make it. Hopefully they'll do a good job. But it's still a pretty big if...
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:33 pm

I was wondering this morning during art class, what if the movie sucks?

but i'm hoping it wont, but i'm not trying to gets my hopes up.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:25 pm

if the movie sucks we'll still buy it on DVD and watch it with our pweb friends. and then in 5-15 years or so they'll remake it and it'll be badass.

even if it sucks, you know you'll cherish the damn thing.
Ubernaustrum

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:33 pm

I just came across this news today and honestly, I'm really excited about it. Not just because we might FINALLY get our movie, but because with this team we might actually get a good movie.

I have a tremendous amount of respect with Orci and Kurtzman. Yes, they're famous because TRANSFORMERS and STAR TREK (which was fantastic, btw) and ENDER'S GAME isn't an action movie, but at the same time, especially with STAR TREK, they have a deep understanding and respect for the source material. I've read countless interviews and listened to some others with Orci and Kurtzman and they know their screenplays inside and out, to a degree that's not normal. They're experts and incredibly hard workers. Like I said, I have a lot of respect for them.

As for Gavin Hood, the jury is still out... Of sorts... He's the man in charge and his record is hit and miss, but the man won an Academy Award for goodness sakes, he has talent.

Here's to hoping...

Salaam

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:46 pm

Salaam
*HUG* Good to see you!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:41 pm

See my Important Update for breaking news!!!!

http://www.philoticweb.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2269
--Boothby

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:16 pm

See my Important Update for breaking news!!!!

http://www.philoticweb.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2269
I hate you again.

I was wondering this morning during art class, what if the movie sucks?
Watch the closing scene of Fanboys ;)
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:50 am

In case anyone's in the mood for some real news:

http://io9.com/#!5788528/how-will-the-e ... i-explains

(something in the url is creating issues so you have to copy & paste the whole line above)

I'll be damned, but it actually sounds like this movie is getting made. :shock:
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Return to “Ender's Game Movie News and Discussion”