The Handmade Gift Exchange

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

The Handmade Gift Exchange

Postby steph » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:29 pm

With all the awesomeness going on in the crafty thread and the yumminess going on in the kitchen thread, I thought it might be fun to do an exchange of some handmade goods. Is anyone else interested?
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:37 pm

oooo! me!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:55 pm

Oooh! Should we do some kinda name drawing type thing?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:42 pm

I would love to be on the receiving end but I don't have any craftiness of my own to reciprocate with.
The enemy's fly is down.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:29 pm

ME!
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:00 pm

I'm appreciating that you didn't say holiday or christmas in your title or post. Whether that was for people like me who don't celebrate or not, I'd like to participate if whoever sends to or receives from me is okay with it not being holiday themed. I can do crocheted (hat, scarf, fingerless gloves, etc), earpins, or a handcarved stamp.

How are we going to work this?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:26 pm

I'm totally in, although I don't feel that crafty! I'll sure try : )
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:28 pm

I'm totally in, although I don't feel that crafty! I'll sure try : )
This.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:13 pm

I'd love to be in!
-Kim

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:31 pm

Yay!! I'm so glad people are interested! Nomi, although we are close to the holidays, I was not thinking of this for holiday themed items at all! I was just thinking about all the wonderful things that people here can do and make and I was wanting all of them!! Some things I was lusting over: crocheted stuff, ear pins, rubber stamps, wire necklaces, photos, paintings, 3d sculptures, baked goods, etc, etc, etc. People have so many skills they don't even know they can offer here! What about some photo-shopping of some family pictures to make them awesome wall portraits? What about custom avatars or banners for blogs? What about some video editing? Heck, maybe EL would even blend some spices into a personalized tasty curry powder! The possibilities are endless! Be creative!!!!

Now, here's how this can work:

1. Everyone who is interested needs to make an official post of interest. In the post, you need to include any food issues (dislikes, allergies, diet restrictions, etc.), favorite colors, and any other important information for the giver of your gift (like I really hate giraffes [although I'm not sure why anyone would, since giraffes rule.]).

2. PM me your address so I can pass it along to ONLY the person sending you a gift. If you are not comfortable giving your address to someone else who has posted interest, let me know and I will not pair you with that person.

3. I will randomly draw names (well, mostly random, if someone is not address comfortable) and PM each of you the name and address of your recipient!

4. Check the post of your recipient and then make something fabulous to send to them!

5. Mail it!

6. When you receive yours, take pictures and post about how fabulous it is!

The Rules:

1. It must be made by you! Brian cannot sign up to do this and mail out something I made. He would have to make it himself!

2. Official posts of interest must be made by Monday, November 8th by 8pm MST.

3. I will PM you by Wednesday, November 10th, with the name and address of your recipient.

4. Please mail your handmade gift by December 8th. That gives you 4 full weeks to make your offering. If you are struggling with that deadline for whatever reason, let me know and I can contact your recipient to let them know your new time schedule. If your gift is done before December 8th, by all mean, mail it early!

And I guess I should include:
5. Make sure your gift is in compliance with whatever customs regulations may be in place for whatever borders you may be mailing packages over.

How does that sound to everyone? Any suggestions on how to make it run smoother? If this works well, we can try it a few times a year! I would love to get lots of pweb cool stuff!

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:04 pm

Sounds good to me! Though, I can gurantee you that mine will be mailed after Dec. 8. My last final is Dec 9 (radiology....) and I've barely got my head above water as it is... so it will either suck or be sent out after finals. :)
-Kim

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:54 pm

How does that sound to everyone?
Sounds good to me.

Food Issues:

Dislikes: Coconut.
Allergies: None that I know of.
Diet Restrictions: Poisonous foods are a no-go. Everything else should be okay.

Favorite Colors:
Eggplant
Lime green
Teal or similar shades of blue

Important Information:

In case it matters, I do not think glitter is the herpes of the craft world.

If, for some odd reason what you make is scented, not too heavy on perfume smells, plaese. My allergies don't like anything too strong.

Can I just slap down a list of interests that, with some creativity, might be accomodated with handmade skills to cover my bases?

Maps, snowflakes, monkeys, Chicago, fairies, SW, fall leaves, Goofy, music (mixed-cd?), movies (write me a scene?), damask patterns (google image search "damask" if you don't know what the basic, black and white pattern is), costume pieces (I get that this is vague. I like that it is.).

That should be more than enough; I'm not all that hard to please, anyway, so if that stuff isn't used, I probably won't be bothered. If I see something between now and the 8th that I didn't think of, I'll edit it in before anyone gets assigned on the 10th.

Please, please, please include as much info when you guys do yours. I'm awful at gift giving, so I'll be needing every bit of help I can get.

ETA for Nomi: Ears are pierced and I do wear hats (I think you're referring to beanies) and gloves, and would wear scarves if I had them.
Last edited by Petrie on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:01 pm

Food Issues:

Dislikes: Bell Peppers
Allergies: Shellfish. Please don't mail any.
Diet Restrictions: Don't call it call it unclean if He has made it clean, ya know?

Favorite Colors:
Black (really)
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:16 pm

I'm in.

Food issues:
No meat or fish. (I know, unlikely, but just in case someone makes their own jerky or something.)

Colours:
Rich and vibrant. Can be bright or dark, but I'm less fond of grey tones and pastels. Favourite colours include: green, red, blue, brown, but I'm open to surprises!

General likes:
Books, Latin, dragons, grotesques, gin, Eastern Canada, tea, food, herbs, general sci-fi/fantasy nerdery, steampunk, folk music, cats, or whatever you've seen me post "I like that" to on pweb.

General dislikes:
Sports are a meh, not into video games, rap music, Precious Moments or anything similarly twee. I wish I liked woolly things, but I have sensitive skin and can't handle anything even remotely itchy or prickly. I enjoy cotton, bamboo, soy, and can sometimes enjoy merino or cashmere wools, but definitely not acrylic.

As per requested:
I definitely wear hats, gloves, and scarves. I have pierced ears and love earrings, and I like necklaces too. I rarely wear bracelets and rings, though.

I hope that's helpful for whoever gets me. I'm not picky, I'm just trying to be helpful like Alea asked.

Thanks for this idea, Steph! I'm quite excited!
Last edited by Eaquae Legit on Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:55 pm

Thanks for this idea, Nomi! I'm quite excited!
Ummm....I'm pretty sure it was my idea. ;)

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:00 pm

Ohmygoodness, how did I mix that up?! :oops: I'm so sorry! Fixed it now.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:19 pm

Being mixed up with Nomi is not a bad thing. :wink:

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:59 am

Food Issues
I'm not sure I really have any! I'm not allergic to anything. I do hate fish, but I don't think anyone will be sending fish...

Favorite Colors
Blue- navy or cobalt especially
Pink- more magenta/hot pink than pastels or neon
Yellow

Basically, I like highly saturated colors.

Important Information
Let's see... things I love... I collect owls, I've gotten really into sunflowers lately (they're going to be my wedding flowers!), I love cats. I feel like I've been around long enough you guys have a general sense of what I like!

Ears- not pieced.

I would love love love fingerless gloves or scarves. :)
About the only thing I don't want/that's a problem is that I'm pretty much out of wall space in my apartment.
Last edited by powerfulcheese04 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Kim

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:15 am

Can the girls edit their posts and add whether they wear pierced earrings? Also, if you wear hats, scarves, gloves, etc. where you live? Also, since Ali made me think of it...if you're allergic to any fibers like wool? Sorry to ask you to add stuff for me but I'd hate to send something that people wouldn't use.

Also,
I wish I liked woolly things, but I have sensitive skin and can't handle anything even remotely itchy or prickly.
Can you wear non-wool items? Like bamboo or acrylics? I can't wear itchy wool either.
Last edited by Luet on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:20 am

Food Issues
Allergic to shellfish
I don't like really spicy food, white chocolate, walnuts or pecans.

Favorite Colors
Grey is my favorite color. To wear, I also like the red family (bright red, cranberry), browns, olives, rich greens and blues. I don't like yellow, orange, bright green, pastels.

Things I like
I love lizards (specifically bearded dragons) and other reptiles/amphibians. I like nature-y things like trees, flowers, plants, leaves, rocks. I like artwork and photographs. I like useful things like pouches or bags, repurposed thingies. I do wear hats, scarves and fingerless gloves but not mittens or full fingered gloves. I can wear any material as long as it's soft and not itchy (not 100% wool but wool blends, nice acrylics, bamboo, etc). See below for jewelry but I'd be more like to wear a pendant or pin, than anything else.

Things I don't like
Even though I do wear jewelry, I'm very picky and I wear the same pieces for years. So, jewelry would probably not be a good idea unless it features something that I love, like a lizard. I would prefer non-scented things (of a non-food variety). No scented candles, bath and body, potpourri, etc. I just hate most smells. :)
Last edited by Luet on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:07 am

Alrighty, I want in. I've been looking at taking up some sort of new hobby (or getting back into my older artistic hobbies) and this would be a good motivator to do it. I promise to do my very best with whatever I come up with to do.

No allergies or major food dislikes, except for things covered in powdered sugar. Food likes -- seriously, I have a major sweet tooth. So, other than the powdered sugar issue, just about anything goes. I'm not crazy about really spicy foods, although mild to medium spicy is good.

Favorite colors -- deep red and dark purple. Also, light blues/beiges/brown colors are prominent in my office at work and in my room. Also, winter coat is light tan, so if you're doing accessories, brown accents are preferred to black.

Favorite animals -- tabby cats and boxers. And tigers! Definitely tigers. And penguins, too, to a slightly lesser degree. Note: I own two cats, and gifts more for them (e.g., cat toys) instead of me are fine. No dogs, yet, sadly.

Other things I love -- Zoos. Fantasy creatures. Abstract art in warm colors. Music that I can sing with. The fall season. Blankets, socks, stuffed animals, and other cozy and snuggly things. Coffee and tea. Also, little things you can hold in your hands and fiddle with are very important in both my life and my work. Things that are just interesting to look at and observe. Soft cloths that aren't necessarily to wear, but just feel nice.

Ears -- pierced

Necklaces -- definitely. LOVE.

Rings -- not other than my wedding/engagement bands.

Bracelets -- Don't know. I saw one I really, really wanted Christmas shopping last year, but it cost too much. It was small, delicate red glass beads, gold accents. I think I'd wear something like that, but I haven't owned one since slap bracelets were in the first time, so I don't know.

Gloves & Scarves-- definitely. My hands are always cold, actually, so Nom, if you don't get my name, PM me some details about buying fingerless gloves from you.

Hats -- Yes, note, my head is slightly larger than the average female.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:32 am

no major food dislikes
Can Kelly make homemade Kit Kats for you, then? *crunch* :P

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:37 am

*grin*

Homemade Kit-Kats are fine, because Kelly is not making money or advertising her wares by shredding my eardrums. Do not make enough for two people; however, because then I have to listen to other people crunch them :)

And, anyhow, anything Kelly made resembling Kit-Kats would taste about twenty times better than those Kit-Kats, which always left a waxy feeling in my mouth, as I recall, not that I've eaten them in ages.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:38 am

I'm SO excited for this. I will try with everything I have to finish my project before the baby's born, but if she/he comes early, then I might miss the deadline.

Okay...

Food: No major dislikes other than bell peppers, but yeah, why would you send me that? I also have a MAJOR sweet tooth. Nothing is too sweet for me.

Colours:
Blue in all it's forms is my absolute favourite
Green
Brown/Pink combinations
Orange

Ears: Not pierced

Cooking & Baking, Steampunk, Comics (DC not Marvel) - especially Batgirl... much of that has been expressed on the boards already. I have very little in the way of Christmas stuff since we moved, so I would love something like that (unless you're Nomi, obviously!)

Important info
I am not opposed at all to getting something for Ginny or for the new baby (gender as yet undetermined). Ginny is small and wears 18mo clothing - she looks adorable in everything and also has unpierced ears.
I live in the cold (obviously), so hats, mitts and scarfs are a go.

Dislikes:
I'm also not a big fan of scented things, unless it's lemon. I have some kinda weird reaction to mohair and cashmere as well- so that's out (though that would be a pretty expensive thing for this exchange, I would think!)

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:42 pm

Official post of interest!

Food: I cannot abide bananas. Otherwise, it's all good.

Colors: I love reds, blues, yellows, greys, greens, and oranges. Ok, and pastels and just about everything.

My ears are pierced. Winters are very cold here, so scarves, gloves, hats, etc are great. I love books, food, music, jewelry, fairytales, lamp posts, blankets, tea, coffee, chess, plants/seeds/herbs, yoga, wine, classic hollywood movies, and candles.

You guys know me pretty well enough by now. And if anyone wants more info, just ask!
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:11 pm

Can the girls edit their posts and add whether they wear pierced earrings? Also, if you wear hats, scarves, gloves, etc. where you live? Also, since Ali made me think of it...if you're allergic to any fibers like wool? Sorry to ask you to add stuff for me but I'd hate to send something that people wouldn't use.

Also,
I wish I liked woolly things, but I have sensitive skin and can't handle anything even remotely itchy or prickly.
Can you wear non-wool items? Like bamboo or acrylics? I can't wear itchy wool either.
I edited my post, in case anyone misses it.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:38 pm

No boys want to get in on this? Will? Mich?

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:04 pm

I might bake some cookies. That's about the only handmade thing I can think of that I would be capable of doing.
The enemy's fly is down.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:41 pm

They'd probably have to be sent express in order to not be stale, just fyi. :)

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:51 pm

Anything you can contribute at all! I agree, we need more boys. Some pretty photographs, perhaps? I know Adam makes yummy treats...

Looks like there are 9 of us so far. I'll get my official post up soon. It's me, so of course I'm stressing about what to write, since I'm struggling with what is actually me these days and what is mom, sister, friend, etc. I'll quit stressing soon and do it. Or maybe I'll have Brian do it. Maybe I'll have Brian enter the exchange also. Sorry....I'm starting to ramble.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:43 pm

Food:
I have no allergies, although I am not keen on peanut butter, courgettes, or aubergines. (I'm not sure how those last two could be in anything posted but figured it's worth mentioning just in case someone got real creative.)

Colours:
I quite like dark colours, especially blues, reds, and greens. I also enjoy browns and such. Basically, autumn and winter colours are lovely.

Ears:
I haven't had an occasion to pierce them yet.

I really quite like most things knit or crocheted, although I am not keen on acrylic. Unlike EL, though, I do love most anything wool. I'm also a fan of things generally classy or old-fashioned, especially scarves and cuff-links.

Dislikes:
Most things gaudy or sporty.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:34 pm

I'm officially in!

Food issues:
I'm not a huge fan of peanut butter, that's really all I can think of.

Colors:
My absolute favorite color is darker purple, but I can't really think of a color I hate.

General likes:
Almost everything! If it's cute/animal related that's a plus. Cats and owls are big for me right now, and of course penguins.

General dislikes:
Not into sports... That's really all I can think of.

Ears: Pierced, and I love my earpins!

Necklaces are always nice, i've really been getting into them lately.

I'm excited, and trying to get Will to participate!
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:01 am

I really want to get in on this but I can't break past my hesitancy to share my address :? I don't know why... I've been on pweb for so long, I feel like I know all of you.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:05 am

They'd probably have to be sent express in order to not be stale, just fyi. :)
Homemade cookies actually have a really long shelf life. If you pack them in tupperware or ziploc they should be just fine sent by regular mail. You can also freeze them before you send them--they'll thaw by the time they arrive.

It's more moist, delicate things you really need to ship overnight--cakes, etc.

ETA: Claire, is there a particular Pwebber you really trust or have been in contact with off the board before? If so, maybe you could have your package sent c/o that person. And they could send it on to you? That way you wouldn't have to give out your address to anyone who doesn't have it already?
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:35 am

I really want to get in on this but I can't break past my hesitancy to share my address :? I don't know why... I've been on pweb for so long, I feel like I know all of you.
Is there anyone at all you'd be comfortable sharing your address with? You can PM me anyone's name (so it will be more a private conversation) and I'll match you up with them and I'll have you give your address to them directly. It won't be a surprise who your gift is from when it arrives, but mine won't be either, since I'm organizing. Kelly's idea would work, too, if you want your gift to be a surprise.

If you're not comfortable with the address at all, would someone be willing to do a digital gift of some sort for Claire? Like a custom avatar or banner? Or some photo editing? Something that could be emailed instead?

Return to “Milagre Town Square”